I wonder how long it will take BSA to ban kickball?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yah, it is!   What I can't seem to convince the Powers that Be is that this is a bad thing, eh?   They seem to have settled on a meme of "These things are not part of da BSA Scouting Program", and t

In addition to Qwazse's excellent bubble ball suggestion, I'll offer one more:     "Teens and adults:  head first slide, you are out automatically.   Feet first only."   If the rules are few and sim

So, had PLC last night. They had a great idea for a game involving...wait for it...water balloons.   When I told them that BSA prohibited the use of non-biodegradable water balloon over the size of

I believe there were four or five characters. Ding Dong was King, Captain Cupcake, Twinkie the Kid I remember. Cannot remember the names of the Ho Ho and the Pie, but I think it was Fruit Pie the Magician.

[Picture omitted]

I don't remember those characters. Were those from tv commercials? What decade are those from?

I don't remember those characters. Were those from tv commercials? What decade are those from?

Also they were reportedly regional and Dong Dongs were called Ring Dings or something like that due to licensing issues.

What I remember from the commercials was a character shooting a Ding Dong with a sling shot into the mouth of another character to shut them up. Hence why I always tried to eat them whole and also may explain my shrinking uniform.

Edited by King Ding Dong

"Twinkie the Kid is the mascot for Twinkies, Hostess's golden, cream-filled snack cakes.[1] He is a registered trademark of Hostess Brands. He made his debut in 1971.[2] He has appeared on product packaging, in commercials, and as collectible related merchandise except for a brief period between 1988 and 1990."

So, had PLC last night. They had a great idea for a game involving...wait for it...water balloons.

When I told them that BSA prohibited the use of non-biodegradable water balloon over the size of a ping pong ball, you could have cut the sarcasm that followed with a knife.

I think when BSA tries to pass another rule they should run it past a focus group of teenagers. If the BSA leaders can argue their way out of that room without having one person quit Scouting as a result, then they can implement the policy.

The PLC's solution was to NOT have a meeting that week BUT for anyone interested in having fun to show up on their own (no uniforms) and conduct the game. Since it is not a Scout activity I cannot stop them...out of my jurisdiction.

Bravo BSA. :huh:

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 3

So, had PLC last night. They had a great idea for a game involving...wait for it...water balloons.

When I told them that BSA prohibited the use of non-biodegradable water balloon over the size of a ping pong ball, you could have cut the sarcasm that followed with a knife.

I think when BSA tries to pass another rule they should run it past a focus group of teenagers. If the BSA leaders can argue their way out of that room without having one person quit Scouting as a result, then they can implement the policy.

The PLC's solution was to NOT have a meeting that week BUT for anyone interested in having fun to show up on their own (no uniforms) and conduct the game. Since it is not a Scout activity I cannot stop them...out of my jurisdiction.

Bravo BSA. :huh:

And thus begins the slippery slope alternative to Scouting.  50 years ago, this is how it started for me.  This is nothing new, but one would think that by now the elitist intellectuals of the PC world would have figured this out by now.  Apparently not. 

At least for me, I have a modern compromise.  All the things I can't do in Scouting, I get to do with my church youth group kids.  :)  After 50 years, I have learned how to play the game.

• Upvote 1

And thus begins the slippery slope alternative to Scouting.  50 years ago, this is how it started for me.  This is nothing new, but one would think that by now the elitist intellectuals of the PC world would have figured this out by now.  Apparently not. 

At least for me, I have a modern compromise.  All the things I can't do in Scouting, I get to do with my church youth group kids.  :)  After 50 years, I have learned how to play the game.

I think my guys found the work around on their own too.

I think my guys found the work around on their own too.

If youth of that age can see the work around, why can't the people in Irvine see it?  It's a natural reaction to the situation.

• Upvote 1

If youth of that age can see the work around, why can't the people in Irvine see it?  It's a natural reaction to the situation.

That's the nut of the matter right there, Stosh:  the folks at National who make these decisions can't see it because they are utterly disconnected from "fun."  

If they were scouts, they probably weren't the ones who enjoyed water gun/balloon fights, building/climbing giant signal towers, running around the woods, etc.   Now they are in charge and they can project their dislikes onto everyone else.

And as always, the almighty dollar is probably the root cause.   Possible lawsuits lead to attorneys' fees.   And attorneys' fees means less money to spend on the Air Conditioned Training Palace and pay raises for professionals.

Edited by desertrat77

Yah, it is!

What I can't seem to convince the Powers that Be is that this is a bad thing, eh?   They seem to have settled on a meme of "These things are not part of da BSA Scouting Program", and they keep addin' things to da lists.  

What they don't seem to get is that the more things we define as not part of the program the more folks will turn to alternatives and alternative programs, eh?  If yeh keep definin' da BSA program as smaller and smaller, yeh keep gettin' a BSA that's smaller and smaller.   Plus, along the way yeh teach people not to respect the "rules".

Personally, I think Unauthorized Activities should be decided only by vote at the BSA Annual Meeting.   It's the general membership that should define the limits of the BSA Scoutin' program, not executives or obscure and un-elected committees.

Beavah

• Upvote 3

Stosh, on 03 May 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:snapback.png

Because Invine is too far from Irving for them to see it.   :p  (Says the guy who consistently spells because as "becuase.")

"Personally, I think Unauthorized Activities should be decided only by vote at the BSA Annual Meeting.   It's the general membership that should define the limits of the BSA Scoutin' program, not executives or obscure and un-elected committees.

Beavah"

Absolutely !!  All the decisions being made in a single-issue "bubble" are suspect.  "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."  When your sole remit is "safety," the list of the "unsafe" is limitless.

Another example of the phenomenon is the Journey to Excellence crew defining a movie-watching "lock-in" as a "weekend campout."

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1

Another example of the phenomenon is the Journey to Excellence crew defining a movie-watching "lock-in" as a "weekend campout."

That's clearly a STEM activity.

• Upvote 1

Au contraire,   The JTE crew operates largely as if no one else exists.   Hence, electronic games = camping.  So no JTE points for STEM as such.   Notre bulle sur tout.