I wonder how long it will take BSA to ban kickball?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yah, it is!   What I can't seem to convince the Powers that Be is that this is a bad thing, eh?   They seem to have settled on a meme of "These things are not part of da BSA Scouting Program", and t

In addition to Qwazse's excellent bubble ball suggestion, I'll offer one more:     "Teens and adults:  head first slide, you are out automatically.   Feet first only."   If the rules are few and sim

So, had PLC last night. They had a great idea for a game involving...wait for it...water balloons.   When I told them that BSA prohibited the use of non-biodegradable water balloon over the size of

This seems to be "suggested" rather than required. Which is it? It is hard to tell as it is written. Does the BSA prohibit their sale? If not, why not?

This seems to be "suggested" rather than required. Which is it? It is hard to tell as it is written. Does the BSA prohibit their sale? If not, why not?

It is a nice loophole.   It gives the BSA the appearance of being concerned about the youth's health, but still allows trading posts to sell the heck of the energy drinks.   Profit.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 2

So I took the time to review it and here's what I saw:

"Energy drinks are to be discouraged at Scouting events and should not be sold at BSA trading posts or other retail venues."

"Should not" is different from "shall not" and "will not."

I see the drafter of the aforementioned document was astute.   The BSA frowns on the drinks, but not enough to actually ban them.

Too bad National didn't use such phraseology with the bubble ball/water gun cases.  

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

I wonder about that too. What is the use of a policy where the operative words are "should not" as opposed to say, "shall not", "will not" or "must not." (And then there is the ever-popular "may not", which in past discussions some members of this forum seem to think means "may or may not", but I think almost always means the same as "must not", when used in a policy. I think that has come up in connection with the BSA's no-smoking policy, or maybe I should call it the sometimes-no-smoking policy.)

(I did not see Desertrat's post before I posted this.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

It is a nice loophole.   It gives the BSA the appearance of being concerned about the youth's health, but still allows trading posts to sell the heck of the energy drinks.   Profit.

This just in...

YEH2yFK.png

• Upvote 1

Why is it that the BSA PR department can't use words that people can understand.

BSA prohibits the use of squirt guns.

BSA shall not allow energy drinks and beer at scout functions.

Boy Scouts may use .22 rifles at a range  but Cub Scouts may use only BB guns at the range.

Bubble Ball usage is prohibited.

This just in...

YEH2yFK.png

Krampus,

Could you imagine the money to be made on summer camp beer sales, in the scouters' lounge?

Local councils partner with microbreweries?

Forget FOS, there's gold in them beverages!   And forget popcorn sales too.   The stock not sold?  Not even as a snack.

Look at the accident rate for water skiing, snow boarding, or snow skiing and my guess is neck injuries are much higher for those sports.

I found the following info in two minutes on google, so take it with a grain of salt. For water skiing the injury rate is roughly 1 per 100,000 people, half of which are head and neck injuries. 20-30 people die each year snow skiing due to head injuries. One study showed 1.3 injuries per 1000 runs at terrain parks, half of which were head and neck injuries.

I'm not ignoring the risks, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

And, slip and slide meets baby in bath water joke is coming ..... now.

Look at the accident rate for water skiing, snow boarding, or snow skiing and my guess is neck injuries are much higher for those sports.

I found the following info in two minutes on google, so take it with a grain of salt. For water skiing the injury rate is roughly 1 per 100,000 people, half of which are head and neck injuries. 20-30 people die each year snow skiing due to head injuries. One study showed 1.3 injuries per 1000 runs at terrain parks, half of which were head and neck injuries.

I'm not ignoring the risks, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

And, slip and slide meets baby in bath water joke is coming ..... now.

It's still hush/hush, but the BSA is making a new branch of Cub Scouting...birth to Lion Cub age.  Name to be determined.

Edited by desertrat77