The Boy Scout Story was Season 1 Episode 18, aired Feb 11, 1956 there had been The 4-H Story two months earlier. 1959 had a Girl Scout story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0584395/?ref_=ttep_ep6

So my guess is the Scout Handbook in his friend's back pocket was 5th edition maybe 8th printing.

http://www.troop97.net/bshb_ed5.htm

I found the above information in my failed search for the Second Class 5 mile hike requirements of that time period. My old handbook (6th edition) states a hike with your patrol or a companion approved by your Scoutmaster. No adult needed or required back then. Odd the scout had no map with his compass.

Edited by RememberSchiff

My first activity with a Boy Scout was very similar.  Hike 5 miles hike and cook a meal.  I didn't have a pack so I carried everything in a haversack.  Worked fine.  I know there was at least one adult, could have been more.

Never figured him to fall in the well, but getting lost looked pretty good without a map there for a while.

Uniform had patrol patch, and numbers, but no community strip.  I noticed the box had shoes in it, but no socks.  .

My first activity with a Boy Scout was very similar.  Hike 5 miles hike and cook a meal.  I didn't have a pack so I carried everything in a haversack.  Worked fine.  I know there was at least one adult, could have been more.

Never figured him to fall in the well, but getting lost looked pretty good without a map there for a while.

Uniform had patrol patch, and numbers, but no community strip.  I noticed the box had shoes in it, but no socks.  .

Yes that was odd. It also appeared that his tenderfoot badge was also sewn on uniform! I imagine the studio borrow some uniforms and scouts from a local troop.

Imagine requiring a scout to pay $0.10 a week for a used troop uniform? I can't recall, however we did buy our troop neckers.

Ovaltine....  And a sheath knife on the belt.... and a hike by your lonesome, with a kid size pack frame tied with a diamond hitch.  Youda thought Joey would know where the old abandoned wells were on his dad's ranch.

AH, the  days of yore....

Thanks, Bud.

Yes that was odd. It also appeared that his tenderfoot badge was also sewn on uniform! I imagine the studio borrow some uniforms and scouts from a local troop.

Imagine requiring a scout to pay $0.10 a week for a used troop uniform? I can't recall, however we did buy our troop neckers.

I remember buying a uniform from the J.C. Penny's store downtown.  They had a counter in the back that was just for the scout stuff.  If they didn't have it, they ordered it.

• Upvote 1

Ovaltine....  And a sheath knife on the belt.... and a hike by your lonesome, with a kid size pack frame tied with a diamond hitch.  Youda thought Joey would know where the old abandoned wells were on his dad's ranch.

AH, the  days of yore....

Thanks, Bud.

Notice that the boy made the tree ladder with just his sheath knife?  Lotta whittlin' going on there.

Joey had a belt ax so the other boy could borrow and make a splint.

No waist belt, but I too, noticed the diamond hitch,   The "pack" was really just a backboard with the hitch.

Neckers OVER the collar.

Jim had 3 service stars on his shirt.

Nice piece of Americana.

The film doesn't age well, I don't remember the acting being that bad when I was a kid.

Edited by Stosh

Notice that the boy made the tree ladder with just his sheath knife?  Lotta whittlin' going on there.

Joey had a belt ax so the other boy could borrow and make a splint.<---Joey was also in the cockpit with an older Jim in movie Airplane! :laugh:

No waist belt, but I too, noticed the diamond hitch,   The "pack" was really just a backboard with the hitch.

Neckers OVER the collar.  <-- YES!

Jim had 3 service stars on his shirt.   <-- from 3 years (Wolf, Bear, Lion/Web) as Cub Scout leader?

Nice piece of Americana.

The film doesn't age well, I don't remember the acting being that bad when I was a kid. <--- OMG a fist fight and were there knives at school?

Hollywood, Spielberg and Lucasnare doing a reboot of this classic. They are busy casting over 100 adults to serve as he council, district and unit advisors to help the boys on their path to Eagle. ;)

• Upvote 3

Hollywood, Spielberg and Lucasnare doing a reboot of this classic. They are busy casting over 100 adults to serve as he council, district and unit advisors to help the boys on their path to Eagle. ;)

Indeed.   Several stirring scenes are slated for the Council Air Conditioned Training Palace.   Watch the scouters watch ppt presentations!   Listen as they sing critter songs!   Applaud as they break up into groups to brainstorm three reasons why scouts should not go on hikes.  Gasp in amazement as the scouters go thru the buffet line.   You'll be on the edge of your seat when the strat plan briefing begins.   No one will be admitted to the theater when the inspiring, award-winning FOS pitchman begins his spiel!

Jim, Joey, and Pete didn't have no women sewing on the Broken Wheel Ranch,  This was a real guy's show.  Even Fury was a stallion.  

Edited by Stosh

Can you imagine a minutes long introduction to all the main characters in a television show these days?

Quite a dedicated single father to be Scoutmaster of the local Troop before his son is in it - I'm guessing those 3 years was the Scoutmaster of the Troop.

Rather convenient to move the meeting place to the ranch after the son is eligible to join.

Peter Graves was a Boy Scout but not an Eagle Scout as far as I can tell - his character wears an Eagle Scout badge in the show.

I don't think that was a used uniform - that looked brand new, with all the patches sewed on from supply (if it was a used uniform from the Troop's closet, why would it come by package delivery?).  It seems the Troop's special program is to buy the uniform and let the Scouts pay for it on time - not a bad idea actually. 

So is it just me, or did anyone else notice that all the other Scouts in uniform looked kind of grumpy.

I wonder how many people remember practicing their semaphore at recess?

I thought the premise is that Fury is a WILD horse - what kind of wild horse has a stall and a corral?

Thought it was a cute show but I couldn't help but thinking that some studio exec somewhere thought "I'll see your tall, handsome single dad on the ranch with his fancy rifle and your hero collie on the farm and raise you with an even better looking tall single dad on a ranch with a hero wild horse"