Annual BSA Meeting 5/24-27/16 San Diego

My area exec told me we've shed a very large number of adults because of the mandatory YPT and state background clearances.

I don't know how a charter that's held up by National will be added to the tally. I'm hoping after Pitt's finals week, I can get my 18+ y/o's to knock out that venturing YPT.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huh? And here I thought I cleaned up my language. I was gonna say s**t.     scat

Camp Fiesta Island is only 6+ mile hike north from the Hyatt in San Diego.   http://camping.sdicbsa.org/SummerPrograms/CFISummerCamp.php   Perhaps the two worlds will meet.

The only thing I want to see out of this meeting is a revocation of Dennis Hastert's Silver Buffalo.

My area exec told me we've shed a very large number of adults because of the mandatory YPT and state background clearances.

I don't know how a charter that's held up by National will be added to the tally. I'm hoping after Pitt's finals week, I can get my 18+ y/o's to knock out that venturing YPT.

Yeah that will be interesting because you guys really upped the ante on the time/money investment just to volunteer.

Once upon a time, Woot would automatically translate (the aforementioned word) to "carp", in its discussion forums about products. If you typed in (the aforementioned word), it posted as "carp" when the post went live. My wife and I still say "carp" as an alternative to .... the other word.  :)

'carp'? That smells fishy.

I'm even fine if they break with the tradition of awarding the Silver Buffalo to the current President of the United States (he'd be the only one other than JFK not to receive it), so long as it means the Silver Buffalo would never hang around the neck of Donald Trump.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Camp Fiesta Island leaders guide, this jumped out--the Burly Boatswain Badge.   Requirements:

"Do you think you’ve got what it takes to be burly? Earn the title of Burly Boatswain by participating in

a 4.3 mile run around the island, a night kayak&adventure, a mile swim, and the Salty Sea Dog Canoe

Expedition. Event times are listed on the day-by-day and below. Age 14+.

Tuesday 4:00 p.m. 4.3 Mile Run: (meet at the top of the boat ramp)

Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Salty Sea Dog Canoe Expedition

Thursday 8:45 p.m. Burley Night Kayak: (meet at the top of the boat ramp)

Friday 4:00pm Mile Swim: (must attend all practices)."

And that's just one of many activities.   They have something similar for adult scouters.

Frankly, I've never read a camp schedule with so much good stuff--all kinds of different running, snorkeling, boating, swimming, and scuba opportunities.  There's still time for "tie dye" Wednesday as well as a napping badge.   Though they still managed to slip two of the Citizenship MBs on to the schedule, it's difficult to hold that against the camp management. :)

Though I've never been to Camp Fiesta Island, I salute management and staff for putting on a darn good program.

Our troop went to Camp Fiesta Island two years ago and it WAS great!  Lots of Merit Badge offerings and the counselors were fantastic plus they had lots of extra challenges and activities for campers.  I liked that it was a very peaceful bay so water sports were quite manageable, especially to learn how to do rowing, kayaking, small boat sailing, etc. without the challenging waves to contend with such as you find on Catalina Island at times.  Highly recommend!

• Upvote 1

Hey, guys, can't use the word "cr..p" on the forum.  The moderators beat the "cr..p" out of me when I inadvertently use it to describe something similar to what is being referred to here as well.  This is why I have the disclaimer in my signature line in case it happens again.  In the mean time it is probably a better idea to refer to this as "stuff" rather than "cr..p" or this might just get "dumped" into the I&P which we all know is the "Crapper" in honor of Thomas Crapper, the London plumber who invented the porcelain receptacle located in the "water closet" to handle "stuff" like this.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm just giving a heads up!

Adaption is the epitome of intellect....    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ffkDf0ol4

While hiking along with the Boy Scouts,  to being " PREPARED " we commit... 

Like BP said, "why, for any old thing",   so we take along big bags of  SHHHH.....