Annual BSA Meeting 5/24-27/16 San Diego

One month away...

http://nam.scouting.org/

Meetings:

http://nam.scouting.org/NAM/Activities/Events/Meetings.aspx

I have not heard if another National Strategic Plan 2016-?? is coming or if  local councils will be pressed to produce complicated plans and meet certain metrics (mergers?) or maybe National will refocus on Jamboree  or STEM or ...

No Council needs more of this crap

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NationalMeeting/2015/engage_alumni/NAM_2015_Whats_New_in_Council_Strategic_Planning.pdf

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huh? And here I thought I cleaned up my language. I was gonna say s**t.     scat

Camp Fiesta Island is only 6+ mile hike north from the Hyatt in San Diego.   http://camping.sdicbsa.org/SummerPrograms/CFISummerCamp.php   Perhaps the two worlds will meet.

The only thing I want to see out of this meeting is a revocation of Dennis Hastert's Silver Buffalo.

One month away...

http://nam.scouting.org/

Meetings:

http://nam.scouting.org/NAM/Activities/Events/Meetings.aspx

I have not heard if another National Strategic Plan 2016-?? is coming or if  local councils will be pressed to produce complicated plans and meet certain metrics (mergers?) or maybe National will refocus on Jamboree  or STEM or ...

No Council needs more of this crap

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NationalMeeting/2015/engage_alumni/NAM_2015_Whats_New_in_Council_Strategic_Planning.pdf

No inside info, but if the strat plan folks at National are like the ones in the military, Irving is still building/tweaking the new one.   Ink will be wet at the start of the conference, but that's how it goes.   Strat planners are never very good about meeting their own deadlines--but buddy, you better met theirs :)

I concur--"crap" is the right word to describe that 2015 council strat planning pfd.   It just keeps a national committee of strat plan gurus employed.   Building products to impress themselves.

I hope the Hyatt has a work out room.   Lots of meetings, luncheons, dinners.  

I wish the attendees all the best.   I've been to a bunch of similar functions while I was on active duty.   The very thought makes my head hurt.  

Hey, guys, can't use the word "cr..p" on the forum.  The moderators beat the "cr..p" out of me when I inadvertently use it to describe something similar to what is being referred to here as well.  This is why I have the disclaimer in my signature line in case it happens again.  In the mean time it is probably a better idea to refer to this as "stuff" rather than "cr..p" or this might just get "dumped" into the I&P which we all know is the "Crapper" in honor of Thomas Crapper, the London plumber who invented the porcelain receptacle located in the "water closet" to handle "stuff" like this.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm just giving a heads up!

Hey, guys, can't use the word "cr..p" on the forum.  The moderators beat the "cr..p" out of me when I inadvertently use it to describe something similar to what is being referred to here as well.  This is why I have the disclaimer in my signature line in case it happens again.  In the mean time it is probably a better idea to refer to this as "stuff" rather than "cr..p" or this might just get "dumped" into the I&P which we all know is the "Crapper" in honor of Thomas Crapper, the London plumber who invented the porcelain receptacle located in the "water closet" to handle "stuff" like this.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm just giving a heads up!

Huh? And here I thought I cleaned up my language. I was gonna say s**t.

scat :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up, Stosh.

I was going to edit my previous and substitute "c**p" with "bunkum."   Or perhaps "twaddle."

But the neither seemed better than the original.

I shall stand still when my beating commences.

Once upon a time, Woot would automatically translate (the aforementioned word) to "carp", in its discussion forums about products. If you typed in (the aforementioned word), it posted as "carp" when the post went live. My wife and I still say "carp" as an alternative to .... the other word.  :)

Glad to see that the money BSA takes in is being used in the most cost-effective manner possible. :rolleyes:

If it is good enough for volunteers to meet at council camps, camp in the outdoors and use their conference facilities, why can't BSA big wigs do the same thing?

This simply sends the wrong message to folks. There's no need for a giant blingfest like this. 

Relax, @@Krampus you have to remember these are Ivory Tower folks here that if they were to get too close to the rank and file, they might begin to understand what really going on and we couldn't let that happen.

The only time any of these people have a tool of any sort in their hands is at a photo op.  When has there ever been a photograph produced at one of these gatherings as a tent city?  Where's the PR value in that? 

Relax, @@Krampus you have to remember these are Ivory Tower folks here that if they were to get too close to the rank and file, they might begin to understand what really going on and we couldn't let that happen.

The only time any of these people have a tool of any sort in their hands is at a photo op.  When has there ever been a photograph produced at one of these gatherings as a tent city?  Where's the PR value in that? 

I've been to one of these. I think it is funny that the cost for that event is roughly that of NYLT...and that's outside!!!

They are back-slapping blingfests where these folks can feel good about themselves instead of facing their members and really learning how they can help us. The last one I went to reminded me of that scene in the Hunger Games when the Tributes arrive in the Capitol City and are greeted by all the dilettantes welcoming them. 

Glad to see that the money BSA takes in is being used in the most cost-effective manner possible. :rolleyes:

If it is good enough for volunteers to meet at council camps, camp in the outdoors and use their conference facilities, why can't BSA big wigs do the same thing?

This simply sends the wrong message to folks. There's no need for a giant blingfest like this. 

Hmmm, I can't remember any National Annual Meetings being held at scout camps. The meetings do move around the country, always have. I have read of some past annuals being held in Washington, D.C., good venue to lure the President and other government/military leaders. Now it seems that the only time a President might meet or speak with scouts is when they drop by the White House with the Report to the Nation. Maybe the Honorary President of the BSA should be the Vice President?

IMO, the Annual meeting attendees are a money, power, networking, award banquet crowd (with spouses). Any scouts or scouters attending are vetted and brought in briefly from the outside.

Hmmm.

Who was the last President to attend a National Annual Meeting?

When was the National Annual Meeting last held in Washington, D.C.?

I can't see an Annual meeting being held at the Summit or Philmont. Would be a start...

Edited by RememberSchiff

IMO, the Annual meeting attendees are a money, power, networking, award banquet crowd (with spouses). Any scouts or scouters attending are vetted and brought in briefly from the outside.

BSA run by out of touch elitists who are more focused on themselves and what's in it for them than helping their volunteers?

Stop the presses. ;)

Looking at the Camp Fiesta Island leaders guide, this jumped out--the Burly Boatswain Badge.   Requirements:

"Do you think you’ve got what it takes to be burly? Earn the title of Burly Boatswain by participating in
a 4.3 mile run around the island, a night kayak&adventure, a mile swim, and the Salty Sea Dog Canoe
Expedition. Event times are listed on the day-by-day and below. Age 14+.
Tuesday 4:00 p.m. 4.3 Mile Run: (meet at the top of the boat ramp)
Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Salty Sea Dog Canoe Expedition
Thursday 8:45 p.m. Burley Night Kayak: (meet at the top of the boat ramp)
Friday 4:00pm Mile Swim: (must attend all practices)."

And that's just one of many activities.   They have something similar for adult scouters.

Frankly, I've never read a camp schedule with so much good stuff--all kinds of different running, snorkeling, boating, swimming, and scuba opportunities.  There's still time for "tie dye" Wednesday as well as a napping badge.   Though they still managed to slip two of the Citizenship MBs on to the schedule, it's difficult to hold that against the camp management. :)

Though I've never been to Camp Fiesta Island, I salute management and staff for putting on a darn good program.

• Upvote 1