A naturally formed non-BSA patrol in the making

My buddies and I were a "patrol" long before we got to scouts......  We were a patrol even after we all quit scouts.  The patrol fell apart after we all went our ways after high school graduation.  .... I thought this was supposed to be how it works for kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the OP's points are WHY we still need Scouting. Years ago we kids did some similar things but you know what? We lived in an area which had rural or undeveloped areas around us so we could do such things. Nowadays my kids and most others live in suburbs where every yard is mowed and landscaped and fenced off and building a treehouse practically requires a city permit.

So we need Scouting to get the kids outside and doing things.

My PLC was struggling with getting some of the newer, younger Scouts out for events. They hit on the idea to make a Minecraft themed event. There's a recycle park nearby and they collected hundreds of boxes. We have a field near the CO, so they set up the field as a Minecraft field. Guys worked in Minecraft Patrols to build their fort, collect food and then had to "craft" (e.g. cook the food patrol style), etc. It was all the stuff they'd normally do on a camp out but with the word "Minecraft" put in front of everything.

A passing Cub Scout group saw the event and joined in. ;)

Epilogue: At the end of the event one group said, "It would be great to do that without all the boxes!", The Instructor retorted, "We do, it's called a camp out." Registration for the June camp out soared by 20 kids...and ten adults. ;)

• Upvote 2

Epilogue: At the end of the event one group said, "It would be great to do that without all the boxes!", The Instructor retorted, "We do, it's called a camp out." Registration for the June camp out soared by 20 kids...and ten adults. ;)

I once tried to pitch backpacking in Dolly Sods as "just like Skyrim, only you move your character with your feet instead of your thumbs." At the end of a day of rocks and bogs, the most-avid video-gamer in the crew (for her, this was her first back-country hike) gave me a most evil stare.

• Upvote 1

I once tried to pitch backpacking in Dolly Sods as "just like Skyrim, only you move your character with your feet instead of your thumbs." At the end of a day of rocks and bogs, the most-avid video-gamer in the crew (for her, this was her first back-country hike) gave me a most evil stare.

Fond, FOND memories of Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks and the Monongehela National Forest.

• 3 weeks later...