Have two crews going to Philmont this August (Leader Guide here). Just made trek selections. The guys used a matrix to prioritize the activities they wanted to do. For them it is more about hiking from "cool thing to cool thing" and not about the miles they put down. They want to relax, enjoy their trek and have fun.

That said, I've been a few times but nearly always north of the Tooth on the north part of the range. Seems most of the treks these guys have selected are around the Tooth, along Shaefer's Pass, back along Phillips Junction and around the Black Mountain area.

The questions these guys had for me to ask are:

1. Any must see, must stay locations on the south range? 
  2. Any activities that sound boring but are really fun?
  3. Any activities that sound cool but are really boring or poorly done?

Thanks in advance!

Which treks are they going on? I went out of Rayado turnaround last summer. My trek was only in the South of the Ranch for a few days, as we quickly turned north to get to Baldy. Our trip was definitely more about hiking. We went about 90 miles. 

In the South/Mid country, Abreu (or Aquila) is cool if your Scouts like History. It's an old settlers homestead. Zastrow has a cool orienteering course/geocaching. It also has a Wood Badge museum if any of your advisers care (the Scouts sure don't.)

The Tooth is well worth it. When they hike it, they need to carry AT least 3 liters of water. they can fill up in stream below the trail head to tooth ridge. It's hot and dry as hell.

Catherdral rock and window rock are a must see. Without seeing the itineraries, that's about all I can say from memory. If you can, let me know which treks they are taking. 

Sentinel947

• Upvote 1

Which treks are they going on? I went out of Rayado turnaround last summer. My trek was only in the South of the Ranch for a few days, as we quickly turned north to get to Baldy. Our trip was definitely more about hiking. We went about 90 miles. 

They were looking at 7-2, 7-10, 7-4, 7-5, 7-8, 7-12 in that order. 7-2 looks like a good route and hits a few places you mention above and does not just stay south of Tooth. 7-10 was popular for the shooting sports and ends by hiking the Tooth ridge in to camp. For the old-school guys hiking the Tooth ridge back to camp earned you the right to wear the bull tail over your right shoulder. 7-4 and 7-5 were strictly for the activities. 7-8 was filler and 7-12 was for those who wanted to hit Baldy.

The guys gave these objectives:

• Want to do Baldy or Tooth.
  • Any "food events" were a plus.
  • Ranger skills, shooting of any kind, black powder, gold mining/blacksmithing/cowboy events were big.
  • Getting their arrowhead
  • 30-50 miles

These guys did high adventure last summer in CO and had a blast. Leisure is important. Level of difficulty is not important but they didn't want to be hoofing it from station to station.

We sent two crews a year ago, one north, the other south. I was an advisor on the south tour.

Highlights where Trail peak and the crashed bomber, and Beaubien with food, campfire, horseback riding.

We also did the 30.06 reloading and shooting event as well. 

Did not do the Tooth, only thing really missing from our trek. 

Trek 7-12 is the closest match to ours.

• Upvote 1

They were looking at 7-2, 7-10, 7-4, 7-5, 7-8, 7-12 in that order. 7-2 looks like a good route and hits a few places you mention above and does not just stay south of Tooth. 7-10 was popular for the shooting sports and ends by hiking the Tooth ridge in to camp. For the old-school guys hiking the Tooth ridge back to camp earned you the right to wear the bull tail over your right shoulder. 7-4 and 7-5 were strictly for the activities. 7-8 was filler and 7-12 was for those who wanted to hit Baldy.

The guys gave these objectives:

• Want to do Baldy or Tooth.
  • Any "food events" were a plus.
  • Ranger skills, shooting of any kind, black powder, gold mining/blacksmithing/cowboy events were big.
  • Getting their arrowhead
  • 30-50 miles

These guys did high adventure last summer in CO and had a blast. Leisure is important. Level of difficulty is not important but they didn't want to be hoofing it from station to station.

South Country is definitely going to be where those events take place. Chuck Wagon dinner should be Clarks Fork, if I remember correctly. Philmont has done a good job of spreading the good stuff out, 

3/4 of my time at Philmont was spend north of the Tooth, so I really don't have a whole lot to add. 

South Country is definitely going to be where those events take place. Chuck Wagon dinner should be Clarks Fork, if I remember correctly. Philmont has done a good job of spreading the good stuff out, 

3/4 of my time at Philmont was spend north of the Tooth, so I really don't have a whole lot to add. 

I posted the wrong link. We are doing the 7-day treks.

We sent two crews a year ago, one north, the other south. I was an advisor on the south tour.

Highlights where Trail peak and the crashed bomber, and Beaubien with food, campfire, horseback riding.

We also did the 30.06 reloading and shooting event as well. 

Did not do the Tooth, only thing really missing from our trek. 

Trek 7-12 is the closest match to ours.

Thanks for the input. Where's the crashed bomber?

The remains of the bomber are on Trail Peak. See this site for more info on the crash. There's even a patch available for climbing the peak.

It was a pretty moving experience for some of the scouts, reading the plaque and seeing the names and ages (not much older than themselves) had them thinking. We hiked to the top just as a thunderstorm rolled through the valley in front of us so that added to ambiance.

• Upvote 1

Crew Advisor for Crew 721-A, the scouts chose Itinerary #11 for 61 miles this time around.

In 2012 a older, larger in size crew chose #26 for 81. (We actually did 91 after a map reading error.) I'm liking the idea of a slower pace and a less miles.

-Phil

• Upvote 1

Crew Advisor for Crew 721-A, the scouts chose Itinerary #11 for 61 miles this time around.

In 2012 a older, larger in size crew chose #26 for 81. (We actually did 91 after a map reading error.) I'm liking the idea of a slower pace and a less miles.

-Phil

We are flatlanders. Slow and steady is always good. These guys did 50 last summer at elevations above Philmont levels. After that they swore they would slow down and look around. 

As one guy put it, "I'd rather spend half a day sitting on the Tooth, than looking at the back of Bobby's calves." ;)