So far as I know, the Scout Spirit requirement is unrelated to time.  

"Be "active" is the requirement with the time limit.

I know of many SMs in this area who make up their own rank requirements  I doubt that one of them thinks he's doing wrong..

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read the thread about the 17 year old life scout that is having troubles with his SM over scout spirit and while I think in this case the SM is handling things the wrong way, I know exactly what the

@@MattR   We too expect the Scouts to know their core skills. We have the "participate in the discussion" by being able to demonstrate those skills. Like your math rules, once you learn to divide in

I struggle with this too, especially with Eagles. If we were to poll all the adults on this forum of their expectations for Eagle Scouts, no two would agree. Yet, I'm sure most here do agree that the

Posted Images

I think most rules and laws are a result of people not doing what they should be doing for the sake of safety or for ethical reasons. The larger group, bsa or society, then attempts to both qualify and quantify the desired behavior. As Beavah cotrectly points out, these laws and rules cannot be written to account for every detail in every circumstance, so more rules and laws are created. Also as pointed out the system has other checks and balances in an attempt to be equitable. The rules were not created to be followed for the rules sake, they were created because people weren't acting in an acceptable manner.

When baseball decided pitchers could throw overhand as well and underhanded, what unacceptable behavior was baseball trying to prevent ?

Would the rules have been passed if  Quisenberry  was around? 

(Are you related to DuckTape?)

Some of the rules are also motivated by political correctness.  I really don't see much harm in squirt guns, laser tag and paintball,  but one is pointing a "gun" at another person. 

Some of the rules are also motivated by political correctness.  I really don't see much harm in squirt guns, laser tag and paintball,  but one is pointing a "gun" at another person. 

Nah, one is pointin' a toy at another person.    There's a difference, eh? :rolleyes:

We don't see the harm either. More and more of our former scout activities are now "family" activities outside of scouting. Our break-away started with shooting sports and continues to spread to other activities.

• 4 weeks later...

As in the film Pirates of the Carribean, many rules should be more like guidelines. If some "rules" weren't broken we wouldn't evolve. We wouldn't have the cub section, we wouldn't have Girl Scouts, we wouldn't have the senior section. It's easy to throw around the word obedience, but obedience without consciousness or thought is worse than obedience. Learning how to act correctly in the absence of rules is very valuable too.

Hello, Thomas.

Tell us more.  Were there outlaw Wolf Cubs and Girl Guides before B-P decided to have such things officially?

That's what I understand, at least with Girl Guides. I've heard this before somewhere else I'm sure, so I suspect in this case wikipedia is pretty reliable...

The camp was a success, and Baden-Powell wrote the book Scouting for Boys, which covered tracking, signalling, cooking, etc. Soon boys began to organise themselves into Patrols and Troops and called themselves "Boy Scouts". Girls bought the book as well and formed themselves into Patrols of Girl Scouts while other girls and boys formed mixed Patrols.

In 1909 there was a Boy Scout rally at Crystal Palace in London. In those days, for girls to camp and hike was not common, as this excerpt from The Boy Scouts Headquarters Gazette of 1909 shows: "If a girl is not allowed to run, or even hurry, to swim, ride a bike, or raise her arms above her head, how can she become a Scout?"[5] Among the thousands of Boy Scouts at the rally was a group of girls from Pinkneys Green. They asked Baden-Powell to let girls be Scouts but he decided that separate single-gender organisations were a better solution. In 1910 Baden-Powell formed The Girl Guides in the United Kingdom.[6] Many, though by no means all, Girl Guide and Girl Scout groups across the globe trace their roots to this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Guides

Effectively the girl patrol gatecrashed the thing then buttonholed BP. Good work!

Ian

• Upvote 1

Hello, Thomas.

Tell us more.  Were there outlaw Wolf Cubs and Girl Guides before B-P decided to have such things officially?

Correct. Boys aged 9 and less were joining patrols. Instead of stamping it out, BP created cubs. Same with girls. There were girls joining in with boys, so he created Guides. Before senior scouting, patrols were from 11 to 18. Many troops started having senior troops for ages 15-18 well before it was officially recognized. In Brazil, in the early 80s, many scout groups started accepting girls, before co-education was approved.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I wonder if we should ask for a ruling on these?

Virtually unlimited constant rate of fire. Variable cone of destruction. Burst mode. One very potent weapon.

kinda looks like a "gun" to me...   :cool:

besides, I'm sure you've all read about the inherent dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide, right?

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1