Decline or accept the reward? This would make an interesting EBOR question. I thought he was already an Eagle but some reports say not yet.

He and his family may need the money.

...and they money they get for appearing on TV.

I've realized that what's really sad is that we're all (me included) lamenting that the Scout took the reward for doing a good turn but aren't mentioning that returning the wallet was the Scout-like thing to do.  Have we all grown cynical over time?

I didn't think I was being cynical when I pointed out that this Scout missed out on a excellent opportunity to show his value to society as a Boy Scout.  There are people every day who honestly turn in lost items, do nice things, watch out for others, etc. and like the TIPS hotline get a reward for their efforts.  This is every day stuff.  But now we have a scout who happens upon a lost item for a known celebrity and WOW, this is great including the $10k scholarship and TV appearances and... and... and... and.... and he's just another common Joe who happened to find a celebrity's wallet.

It was nice what he did there are thousands of people just like this boy that would have done the same thing, gotten a nice reward and never made the media spotlight.  But this boy got his money, his appearance and his 15 minutes of fame at what cost?

I think he did fine. He is probably the envy of all scouts. Next stop, how about a Boy's Life cover with Thor and Eagle Tristin Budzyn-Baker!

15 minutes of fame and a lifetime of service ahead. I predict more good turns by this young man.

It's not a negative mark against someone for missing an opportunity.  I'm sure this young man will fare better in the long run than 95% of the others out there in the world.  Maybe next time he'll make a choice that will WOW 100% of the people.  But WOWing 95% is still fantastic!

I read this before other replies, and wanted to say much he same thing as Stosh but held back wondering if I was being too cynical.  I think it is great what the Scout did, but I'd hope that every Scout would do that.  I try to use situations like this as teaching opportunities for my son and daughter.  While out selling popcorn one day, my son and I found a wallet on the ground.  There was nothing in it, no money or ID.  Yet, when we were done selling we drove down to the police station and turned it in.  I doubt anyone ever went there looking for it, but still it felt like the right thing to do.

The best part of being able to do a good turn like this is the feeling it gives you.  I remember going to a CD store when I was in college, and the clerk gave me too much change which I didn't notice until I had left and gone to another store.  Knowing how much money I had started with, and how much I now had, I realized what had happened.  I went back to the CD store and returned the money and the clerk was incredulous that I had come back and also thankful because he would have gotten in trouble for the mistake.  He asked me why and the first answer that came to mind was "I'm an Eagle Scout."  He nodded as if that made perfect sense.

Just a couple of years ago I was getting out of my car at Wal Mart and noticed a pocket knife on the ground.  It was a Victorinox Huntsman, and knowing that is a $35 knife I took it in to the service desk.  They asked for my name so that I could claim it later if nobody else did, but I said, "Nah, that wouldn't be right, it isn't mine."  To this day I wonder if anyone claimed that, and if not what happened to it.  Part of me worries that it would tempt an employee to steal it, thereby doing something that wasn't right, and that bothers me a bit.

I'm sure this young man is a great young man... if you read the article the $10K was for his college fund... which I think mitigates the situation a bit since it is really more of a reward to his family than to the young man himself.  Yet part of me wonders what I would do in a similar situation?  Maybe ask that the money go to the Friends of Scouting instead?  It's tough, and I'm sure that given the situation (on stage, in front of an audience, mega-stars talking to me) I may have been so overwhelmed with the whole thing that I couldn't quickly think of a response like that.  Oh well, I doubt anyone outside of Scouting would question this situation at all, we are probably the only ones who know the Boyce story and expect a Scout not to accept a tip for doing a good turn.  I suspect most of the public just catches on to "A Scout is trustworthy" and this story reaffirms that for them.

... Just a couple of years ago I was getting out of my car at Wal Mart and noticed a pocket knife on the ground.  It was a Victorinox Huntsman, and knowing that is a $35 knife I took it in to the service desk.  They asked for my name so that I could claim it later if nobody else did, but I said, "Nah, that wouldn't be right, it isn't mine."  To this day I wonder if anyone claimed that,   ....

Probably some kid in a rush to school, remembered it was in the glove compartment from the weekend camping, didn't want to get suspended, so he chucked it hoping that some kind soul would turn it in for him to claim at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

I read this before other replies, and wanted to say much he same thing as Stosh but held back wondering if I was being too cynical.  I think it is great what the Scout did, but I'd hope that every Scout would do that.  

Good point. I agree with @@Stosh that the Scout should have done this without as much fanfare as what happened. Personally I would have accepted the thank you of Thor and declined to go on TV. Had Hemsworth insisted on a reward I would have donated it to a good cause. Showed this to my Scout and he thought it was cool but commented, "I wouldn't have taken any money for the good deed." He *DID* want one thing: A signed picture with Hemsworth...in costume!!! ;)

Scout son went for burgers two nights ago. Came home with a bag extra with three meals worth of fries he did not order. Took them back and, for obvious reasons, the burger joint could not take them back, told him to keep them. He felt bad he didn't notice the error and paid for the extra fries.  :D  Good Scout.

Dad immediately electronically transferred the money secretly in to his account. He works hard for his money. The lesson was learned and the good deed secretly rewarded.

• Upvote 1

Good point. I agree with @@Stosh that the Scout should have done this without as much fanfare as what happened. Personally I would have accepted the thank you of Thor and declined to go on TV. Had Hemsworth insisted on a reward I would have donated it to a good cause. Showed this to my Scout and he thought it was cool but commented, "I wouldn't have taken any money for the good deed." He *DID* want one thing: A signed picture with Hemsworth...in costume!!! ;)

Duh!  Of course a picture!  That goes without saying!  That's not a reward, that's a necessity for kids of that age!  :)

Scout son went for burgers two nights ago. Came home with a bag extra with three meals worth of fries he did not order. Took them back and, for obvious reasons, the burger joint could not take them back, told him to keep them. He felt bad he didn't notice the error and paid for the extra fries.  :D  Good Scout.

Mom and Dad have done well.

Dad immediately electronically transferred the money secretly in to his account. He works hard for his money. The lesson was learned and the good deed secretly rewarded.

Whadda ya mean?  What reward did you get for your Good Turn?

Whadda ya mean?  What reward did you get for your Good Turn?

The kid is raising money to go to college. It is tough enough these days since he won't qualify for financial aid nor any scholarships. He will have to fight hard to get in because he does not not meet any of the preferred groups getting priority these days. He's got 1350 on his SATs and killed his ACTs. B student (yeah yeah, under achieving in the grade department) but has already been told, due to quotas, he may be wait listed at most colleges he's interested in.

So yeah, he still basks in his Good Turn...dad basks in his ability to help his kid.

The kid is raising money to go to college. It is tough enough these days since he won't qualify for financial aid nor any scholarships. He will have to fight hard to get in because he does not not meet any of the preferred groups getting priority these days. He's got 1350 on his SATs and killed his ACTs. B student (yeah yeah, under achieving in the grade department) but has already been told, due to quotas, he may be wait listed at most colleges he's interested in.

So yeah, he still basks in his Good Turn...dad basks in his ability to help his kid.

Next time read more closely, I was referring to your Good Turn, not your son's.  :)

Next time read more closely, I was referring to your Good Turn, not your son's.  :)

My bad.

My good turn was rewarded with a very large margarita and the satisfaction of having raised a human being who cares more about what is right than "what's in it for me?".

I always reward my own good turns. I am selfish like that. ;)

[Going to go get a Sonic shake now]

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 2

I have no issues with the scout,  He returned the wallet without any reward questions, his mom was a fan of the actor so he asked for some free tickets.  Resourceful :)

He genuinely was looking for anything  got the scholarship for sadly a small amount ($10k doesn't go far anymore)  From the story they had to sell livestock for him to do his Eagle project, so I don't get the impression that they are rolling in the money.  

Appears to be a good young man, and set a good example for others.