Interesting topic came up....

I know how an umbrella policy works, it kicks in when my home and auto liability insurance isn't enough.  I live in a no-fault state which means whoever runs into me it isn't their fault.  Thus I have a stupid people insurance policy.

Considering I haven't had a traffic citation since 1982 and no fender benders except where a few people ran into me and paid for repairs in full or I had their insurance companies pay for repairs.  I have I once had to make a claim on homeowners for theft of property (stupid people insurance) and I have never had to make a claim on any car insurance policy in 50 years of driving.  So, regardless of the definition of extended liability insurance, I have always viewed it as my stupid people insurance policy.  :)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1,  Failing to use a dutch oven to cook at least once on a campout. 2.  Asking "are we there yet?" on a hike. 3.  Washing cast iron with soap. 4.  Wearing anything cotton. 5.  Leaving their hiking

Let's see the data on the correlation between the use of SuperSoakers and teenage gun violence, or the use of water balloons larger than a ping pong ball and larger, more acute injuries during water b

" Mr. Scoutmaster, a couple of my friends and I are going camping this weekend at the Muddy Glen State Park.  Can I use that for camping time credit?" " Is this your Rusty Moose Patrol, Johnny?" "No

Naw, when the gal that hits you garners up 3 traffic citations and puts one of her passengers in the hospital, her insurance is johnny-on-the-spot with the check book to convince you not to take this to court and make it worse.  Or when they back into the side of your car and it's parked?  Or my best one when I was going slowly through the company parking lot looking for a spot and MY BOSS backs out of a stall into the side of my car.  :)  It didn't tell him I have stupid people insurance.  He just paid for the repairs in full.

The being sued is one thing, losing the case is quite another.  If I do what a prudent person would have done, I can't lose.  If I'm negligent, I won't win.  I do have control of the issue, I have no control over being sued.

Well, of course the decision about whether you were sufficiently prudent or not is decided by six or twelve people you don't know, and weren't there (or one such person, if a jury is waived), long after the fact. You could be as prudent as the day is long, or think you were, and still lose if the "trier of fact" disagrees.

Stosh, you are not describing "no fault" according to both what I recall (when it was the inevitable wave of the future) and what I find on Google.  The idea was to treat it like workers' comp.  Your get damaged; your insurance pays.  No lawsuits.  No determination of fault.

Well my insurance company paid only once when the other motorist had no insurance and had their driver's license pulled.  Otherwise, The other guy's always ponied up the costs of repairs.

I am totally clueless with this because for 50 years of driving I've never had to deal with any of it.  That's what I have insurance for.

So you had "uninsured motorist" coverage, a standard option in regular fault insurance. 

Yep and it costs $1 and is worth nothing in the long run.  If the insured motorist pays, you get 100% of the repairs paid for.  With uninsured motorist, YOUR insurance company deducts $100. :)  I did get his driver's license revoked and got hm off the streets.  He also had to pay heavy fines for being uninsured.  My wife was pregnant at the time and the police held his license until the baby was born and okay.  He was not a happy camper, but that's the price one pays for being stupid.

I'm not talking the little stuff.  I'm talking the fires in Utah set by unsupervised youth members stuff.  I'm talking sexual abuse stuff.

Go to google.  Type in Boy Scouts of America liability lawsuit judgment

Watch the results roll out :(

I can tell you from my recent experience, your state's minimum insurance standards also play a role. When you allow folks to drive with a pitiful amount of minimum insurance AND they have fly-by-night insurance company, you know it is OUR insurance (and BSA's) that will pay.

Until THAT is fixed, having good personal insurance -- and BSA's secondary insurance -- will be all you have to protect you.