Could the Scouting.org site get any more confusing?

But completing the online training was pretty frustrating.

My DE stated he would rather be shot in the head with a shotgun than do the online training again. My district training chair heard that comment, went online to attempt it, and said he's doing a live class instead.

My DE stated he would rather be shot in the head with a shotgun than do the online training again. My district training chair heard that comment, went online to attempt it, and said he's doing a live class instead.

Careful...that live class he may wish he was exsanguinated by a toothless Chupacabra.

• Upvote 1

The thing that amazes me, and this applies at the Council level as well as National, is that non-profits such as the BSA seem to be oblivious to their volunteers' day jobs.  I am sure there are top notch web designers, database admins, programmers, graphic designers, etc. who volunteer large portions of their lives to the BSA.  Yet how often do organizations such as the BSA allow their volunteers to share their professional skills?

Once the national BSA's branding department got involved, a lot of changes to council websites were made to insure a degree of uniformity to keep "the brand" Council I was in as a youth had an excellent website, easy to navigate, informative, etc. The same webdesigners who did the council website also did the local lodge's website. And yes, he and his sons ( also technogeeks) volunteered their time and server space for these websites. It was a labor of love for them. And the OA website DID win some webdesign awards.

But then national stepped in, created templates for councils to use, and mandated their use. Council's were given no choice in the matter. And their websites essentially mirrored national's including hte sarch engines.  I do not know if OA lodges have gone that route yet as I am overwhelemed with the troop and pack. And of course, an Arrowman's first duty is to his unit.

• Upvote 1

Careful...that live class he may wish he was exsanguinated by a toothless Chupacabra.

Exactly!

With the on-line stuff, you can put it on pause, and get something to eat/drink.   And no one can hear/see your verbal/nonverbal responses.

Edited by desertrat77

Exactly!

With the on-line stuff, you can put it on pause, and get something to eat/drink.   And no one can hear/see your verbal/nonverbal responses.

I don't know how you guys teach classes, but we bring good snacks, and plenty of tea and coffee. Folks can reload or call for a break any time.

(Helpful hint: when possible, choose the venue next to the dutch oven class!)

I don't know how you guys teach classes, but we bring good snacks, and plenty of tea and coffee. Folks can reload or call for a break any time.

(Helpful hint: when possible, choose the venue next to the dutch oven class!)

Camporee a few weeks back they (district) had 40 people, two dozen doughnuts, cold weak coffee (no creamer or sugar), water and that was it. Lunch was baloney, white bread and mayo...water to drink. $40 per person.

Our troop TLT we do BBQ, beans, water/Gatorade/sweet tea, sour dough rolls, cobbler for dessert. We do it for $10 and usually get 30-40 people attending....many just for the BBQ. ;)