Junior Assistant Scoutmaster - Revisited

That's fine, you do you. When somebody pitches an idea that engages and involves those 16-17 year olds who have kinda done everything, it perks my interest. 

Yea. I've always looked at it from a consistent set of responsibilities, but I'm thinking you are correct that it's better to build the position to each individual scout and the situations at the time. 

The point I was making and probably not very clearly was: no one either understands what a JASM does or doesn't care.  There's no mention of it when discussing POR's, no mention of it at U of Scouting, no mention of it in any training, no mention of it at roundtables, no mention of it a UC meetings. and the list goes on and on describing the vacuum of the impact it makes in our part of the country.

Because of that I'm thinking it would probably end up a "make it up as you go" kind of position as long as it stays out of the way of the operation of the troop.  At best it is a lateral connection in the traditional pecking order of most troops with the JASM attached more to the SM than to the leadership of SPL -> PL kind of a positioning.  What role that position plays on the PLC is vague or non existent. 

I'm thinking that most around here, if polled, would say the JASM is the Eagle scout who's done it all and wants to hang around the troop until he ages out.  It gives him kind of a non-functioning "honorary" kind of position with no real expectations.  After all, they aren't doing it for rank advancement POR so there's no need to think the functionality is all that important to even measure.

With the way my troop is set up with the PL's running the patrol method, most of my older boys strive for the few PL positions or at least a spot on the leadership corps level.  Some just sit back and ride it out, going camping and not worrying too much about it.

That's very cool Krampus. We take a different approach in that we try to continue giving the scout challenging mature responsibilities for growth development. You're doing the same thing, but also preparing the Scouts for ASM in the future. I like that. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that most around here, if polled, would say the JASM is the Eagle scout who's done it all and wants to hang around the troop until he ages out.  It gives him kind of a non-functioning "honorary" kind of position with no real expectations.

Interestin', Stosh.

I'm never quite sure what adults are thinkin' when they have kids who are in positions with no real expectations.  Doesn't matter whether it's JASM or Historian or whatnot.  We're all about settin' up a game to help kids grow and keep growin'.  Why would yeh park a kid who wants to contribute in a do nuthin' or "fake" position of some sort? 

Best units I've seen with JASMs the JASMs are functionin' as full-fledged ASMs.  They attend scouters' meetings, they do instruction that da regular youth leaders aren't yet up for.  Lots of times they put together and run Troop Leader Training for new youth leaders or IOLS for new adult leaders.   These are young men who we've spent a whole mess of years teachin' and who have lots more experience than most adults, eh?  Use 'em in real roles, with real responsibilities.

One of da things I reckon we really lost in U.S. Scoutin' is Rovers.   In lots of places in international Scoutin' da Rover-aged folks are really running the programs for the kids.  Old parent-age folks are just support.   Really Old Farts like me are just providin' wisdom or someone for da youth to practice real first aid on. :eek:  If yeh have a scoutin' program that relies more heavily on young adults and youth I reckon it's easier to see a 17-year-old JASM as someone to be relied on rather than someone to be shelved.

Beavah

@@Beavah

I think the issue here is with all the other functional leadership positions out there, why aren't the older Eagle scouts doing these jobs.  An ASM in our troop is basically a 2nd person for 2-deep requirements.  They teach nothing, they get involved in nothing, they are supportive of the SM and his role in teaching and supporting the boys.  The ASM doesn't do the teaching unless he/she is a MBC as well.  I generally don't have much "work" for my ASM the way it is, having another boy around doing nothing is kind of a waste in my unit.  He'd be better off being a PL, APL, QM, et. and actually having something to do. 

It's kind of an unwritten rule that the ASM adult is to not do what the scouts can and should be doing for themselves.  An Eagle scout needs to be stepping up his game and becoming an ASM isn't stepping up anything in my troops.  Being a PL is the top dog and PL of the Venture patrol would be more fitting for a scout than JASM.

By the way I had one Eagle do the TG POR for the new guys.  Fantastic opportunity for the Eagle and he did remarkably well that the NSP developed their own PL and APL from their own membership.  I was really impressed with what he could do with the new guys.

Edited by Stosh

And what if the troop doesn't have Eagles? What if the Eagle doesn't want to step up his game but the Star scout does?

I guess it's me, I measure a scout by his skills, character and maturity; not rank, awards or age.

The thing is while adults shouldnt do what the scouts can do, we are dangerously close to crossing the adult led line when we start assuming the scouts' dreams and ambitions.

Adult leadership in a boy run program isn't for everybody. Working with each scout's growth individually requires patience, humility and thinking out of the box.

Barry

I guess it's me, I measure a scout by his skills, character and maturity; not rank, awards or age.

Not just you, eh? ;)

I think, though, that if a troop is usin' Advancement Method well then there should be a pretty strong relationship between his rank and his character/maturity/scout spirit, eh?  Just like there should be a good relationship between his havin' Lifesavin' MB and our ability to trust him to help supervise a waterfront.   If not, then we're not doin' a good job with advancement.   Awards and ranks and badges and such won't mean anything to the boys if they don't mean anything important to us.

For da rest, every troop approaches things differently, eh?  That's why I reckon it's important to ask and listen and observe a fair bit.  In a troop like Stosh's that doesn't really use ASMs well, I reckon a JASM doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  In a big troop with a bunch of NSPs, I'd think TG might be a good thing.  In a traditional patrol method troop, da strongest leaders often stay as PLs and enjoy the role.  Lots of different ways to play the scoutin' game.  That's why sharin' different ideas can often get us to say "hey, I can use that in my program!"

Where I don't agree is that da learning and growth should stop or plateau or whatnot at age 16.  I'd give those lads as much real responsibility and fun as they can handle, eh?  Keep da growth goin', and in da process cement their love of scoutin' for life.

Beavah