Scoutmaster denies 17 year old Life Scout Eagle

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@CalicoPenn and @@Stosh are right, the Council will step in a fix.   As we discussed in another thread, in the Guide to Advancement there's a section (4.2.3.1) the BSA strictly defines what "active

I'd like to think so. We also have a Scout who is in the situation @@perdidochas. He was sort of active during his first six months as Life. In reviewing his level of activity it fell below the establ

As a Scot, I admire anyone who attempts to defend the indefensible.     And I can imagine a situation where following a rule is the worse outcome.  This is not such a situation.   The "new" requir

Good grief.

Do you really need to drag me into that idiotic thread?

Oh, no! If you just reply in this one, somebody will quote you in the other!

Well, if Duty to God and Country trumps advancement, my position should be unmoved if a scout has to wait until he's fulfilled those duties to start racking up service hours. I've had a bevy of venturers who were First Class scouts without the patch, so why should I be bothered the case is true for some boys with a distinctive CO?

But as you can see scouters around the country are consuming large amounts of popcorn (and, one infers, oil and butter) reading this. Think of the bump in ethanol price, right before we are about to drive off to camp. ;)

P.S. Happy Father's Day!

I have been making popcorn and reading this thread for days now. It's better than most tv shows. Although I must say the Beavers style of writing gives me a headache. But if you start another one I'm gonna need to run to Costco and buy a bigger box of popcorn

OK, I guess you're right.  It's better than most tv shows.  What isn't?

As for myself, I haven't been participating in this thread for the entertainment value.  I am still hopeful that SSF and his younger son will find a way to continue with scouting.  

Edited by David CO

one would need to be in high school to progress beyond the Scout Rank.

Crossever in March, commit to meetings, outings, summer camp, etc and you're at Scout rank before 6th grade even starts. Possibly Tenderfoot.

Back to my popcorn...

This is what got me off track.  How many years is one a confirmation candidate?  Just the one?  My confirmation ran 3 years, 6th, 7th and 8th grades.  That meant that under those circumstances, one would need to be in high school to progress beyond the Scout Rank.

A couple of the previous posts identify the age range, between 13 and 18, for children to be Confirmation candidates.  Adults (18+) can also be Confirmed through a different program.

I suppose it could be possible for a 13 year old to still be in sixth grade.  

Edited by David CO

A couple of the previous posts identify the age range, between 13 and 18, for children to be Confirmation candidates.  Adults (18+) can also be Confirmed through a different program.

I suppose it could be possible for a 13 year old to still be in sixth grade.  

I've tried a couple of times to try and understand but it would seem that answers offered are of no real value.  Having been in the ministry and knowing there is an allowance for the various traditions of Christianity, it is of no real value to compare apples and oranges. 

So here's the perspective I'm dealing with.  Confirmation candidates in my church went through a 3 year program.  6th, 7th and 8th grades.  If no one were able to participate in service projects during that time, that would mean no service project for any scouts for the first three years of scouting.  They would be 14 years of age before they would be able to complete the TF requirements for a one hour service project.  If they were lucky they might be able to pull it off with a major advancement push before they start the 6th grade or if they got their AOL prior and were able to get a few months in with a 10 year old  cross-over.

Now if in your particular brand of Christianity has a 6 month confirmation program, it's probably going to have little or no affect on scout advancement,    But if the program is 3 years long, it'll really mess with the scout.  As long as information on the duration of the program is withheld, it is safe to assume that scouts in that unit if they wish to advance need considering other units with more advancement helpful policies.

By the way, those who are 13-14+ are not confirmed, they are adult baptized. after a very brief orientation process.  In my "confirmation" class back in the 1960's 2 of the kids in class were baptized and the rest of us were confirmed.

And as a tag along note on this whole discussion, tomorrow at 8:00 am I am heading out with our junior high students, all confirmation candidates for a 5 day mission/servant leadership activity.  In my situation, service projects are a vital part of the confirmation process of putting one's faith into action, not just reading about it in a book to be checked out after the program is over.  It kinda flabbergasts me that a church would ban such activity in the developmental program of their respective faith education.

Yes, Stosh, apples and oranges.

I gave three examples of how a CO may have a rule, policy, or restriction that might have the appearance of adding to or subtracting from the BSA advancement guidelines, but, in actuality, violates neither the guidelines or the charter agreement.

I've made my point.

That is your interpretation and,apparently, your CO's interpretation of a rule requiring confirmation before a Scout can Eagle - or do any Scouting service project.

The B.S.A. disagrees.  That I agree with the B.S.A. matters little. 

Edited by TAHAWK

If BSA isn't going to monitor the charter agreements, then it is up to the individual scouts and their families to determine if they are getting the BSA program or not.  It's rather unfortunate in a climate of trustworthy and ethical standards that the customer still needs to adhere to the "buyer beware" mentality.

If BSA isn't going to monitor the charter agreements, then it is up to the individual scouts and their families to determine if they are getting the BSA program or not.  It's rather unfortunate in a climate of trustworthy and ethical standards that the customer still needs to adhere to the "buyer beware" mentality.

Well, technically Stosh, even if one of David CO's scouts left and joined a different unit, that boy would still be prohibited (by their Church) from participating in service projects during the time he's a confirmation candidate.  Granted, the new troop's Committee would most likely be completely unaware of that prohibition, and it would be up to that Scout to be Trustworthy on his own.  However, said Scout could also honestly state that he's not interested in confirmation, and do so without fear of reprisal.

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1

Well, technically Stosh, even if one of David CO's scouts left and joined a different unit, that boy would still be prohibited (by their Church) from participating in service projects during the time he's a confirmation candidate.  Granted, the new troop's Committee would most likely be completely unaware of that prohibition, and it would be up to that Scout to be Trustworthy on his own.  However, said Scout could also honestly state that he's not interested in confirmation, and do so without fear of reprisal.

I've only taken a few theological classes in the Catholic setting, but I don't think there's anything in most parishes that would send some kid to Hell for doing service projects on his own.  After all I do believe most altar boys are about this age and that serving during the service    There is something seriously wrong to assume that people are to suspend their ministry in the world while they take classes on how to do their ministry in the world.