For most things, yes. For others the sea/summit bags are pretty good and hold their seal pretty well. When you have several ziplocks to get, having them in a sea/summit bag helps. Getting a bright orange or yellow one can help spot your stuff as it floats downstream...or if you leave your diddybag of stuff laying around and need to find it. ;)

Agree, your backpack should be bags within a bag. To drive that point home the troop roped off the end of a lake cove and set-up a tote line. The scout had to get himself and his backpack (with everything he brought for the trip) from one side to the other.

Edited by Mountaineer
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@tnmule20....just be careful with sizing. You may find very quickly that 65l gets filled up very fast. I do ultralight a great deal and I can fill my 85l pack pretty fast...usually with stuff others

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I went to REI on Saturday and tried some packs.  I really like the Osprey Atmos 65.  The suspension keeps the pack off of your back so you don't get as sweaty.  

Hi, and welcome to the forums. The best choice is a really personal thing. It depends on your size, build, interests, and personal preferences. Some like external frames, some like internal frames. I

Posted Images

Camp advice:   Play the "What if " game, and then decide what you can do without for the time you are away from mama's kitchen.

When Scoutson "bridged" over, we said in celebration, we would buy him anything he wanted from either the Scout Shop, REI , or Sunny's Surplus.  WE walked thru Sunny's , Scoutson picked out a 5 Dcell Maglight.   Okaaaay...

He carried it ONCE on a Troop camping trip (mostly, I think to impress his friends with the bright light).   Next time, he took a 2AA cell pocket LED light. 

He took a 60L.  ... ?  began with an "M"  8 years ago to Philmont. He outgrew it, gave it to another Scout.  ,  and bought a new on last year, a Gregory.

I took a Deuter  to Spain,  et al,  and am very happy with it.   That , and my 30 year old REI frame pack.   Strap almost anything to it.  

Agree, your backpack should be bags within a bag. To drive that point home the troop roped off the end of a lake cove and set-up a tote line. The scout had to get himself and his backpack (with everything he brought for the trip) from one side to the other.

Ya, know.  If one does the ziplock bag inside the trash bag inside the back pack routine, the back pack makes a great flotation device.  :)  I've had duffel bags keep over turned canoes loaded with heavy equipment from going to the bottom.  :)   With a lake and no current, a tote line would not be needed just float the pack across and swim pushing the pack.  Otherwise, clip a strap to the tote line and push it across using the tote to keep things from drifting off. 

The Atmos is amazing. I have it's lightweight equivalent, the Exos. Went backpacking in the midwestern polar vortex this weekend. My entire kitwith water and food was about 26 pounds. When I first started backpacking I would have been carrying like 50!  :dry:

Nice. My base weight before food and water is 25 (but that includes a 2 pound medical kit).

I've written up a couple page "article" on lightweight backpacking.  If anyone is interested, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it along.

I ain't flaming anyone over their pack style if they can still afford some quality coffee and an espresso pot (not to mention parachord and some rated biners)!

How about a JetBoil and a Starbucks Via packet?  Actually, I found a really good Korean instant coffee that has the cream and sugar in it already for a fraction of the price of Starbucks here:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Korean-Instant/dp/B003VCULUS

Yes Sentinel, thos Osprey's do look nice.  Thanks for the point out to that model.  One of these days I might consider an upgrade.  Not doing any backpacking any time soon, but I have been trying to slowly cut down my kit.... I think once I get it a little better, i might go on the hunt for a new lighter pack

Check out the packs by Dueter and Granite Gear also.  A 65 to 70 litre pack should weigh less than 4.5 pounds.

Lol. There's no way I could fit my sleeping bag into a ziplock. I could put it in a trash bag, but a trashbag won't compress it, and it would be pretty bulky. So I have a waterproof compression bag to make it smaller and keep it dry. 

I have a 15 degree Marmot Helium down bag that fits into a tiny stuff sack.  My son has a Cats Eye Meow bag that has a waterproof compression bag.

We use are the Sea to Summit E-Vent bags which work nice for our clothes and a couple of Outdoor Research Dry Ditty Bags.

I cover the pack with a Sea to Summit Ultralight Pack Cover.

I love backpacking, I wish my troop did it more. 

We're doing 30 miles this summer in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon... you're welcome to join us.

Borrow a friend's pack, or rent one from REI.

Military surplus is good. Joke in my troop growing up: Military surplus, if it's designed to survive combat, it may survive Scouts. And yes, I own a medium ALICE That I used for 2 fifty milers afloat, numerous camp outs, 2 years of high school, and 5 years of undergrad. She's had some surgery, both needed and cosmetic ( turned mine into a HELLCAT ALICE), but she is still around.

But with the advances in technology, I'm looking towards a USMC FILBE.

I also have an old Camp Trails' Wind River. In fct just used ti this weekend to prep for a trip later on.

*Chuckling* I don't know, scouts are pretty hard on gear! 

In truth, the Molle Rucks I have left over from OIF/OEF, I just can't "kill 'em", they've survived some pretty "stupid stuff".  I think your choice of the USMC FILBE will suit the purpose just fine.  Can you pick one up at a decent price? 

@@Hedgehog is right on the instant coffee. Hmart has a great coffee section. Tons of freeze dried coffees at a fraction of the cost of Sbux.

AKA: "Ranger dip". Helping both Soldiers and Scouters get rid of their headaches whilst keeping up with the youngest hyper-active scout on nearly any day hike. Pack your lip and enjoy the trip. 

• Upvote 1

How about a JetBoil and a Starbucks Via packet?  Actually, I found a really good Korean instant coffee that has the cream and sugar in it already for a fraction of the price of Starbucks here:

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B003VCULUS

Hedgehog (or anyone that knows)

Any idea what the difference is between that Maxim coffee you linked to, vs the white gold vs the original?

I noticed the one you linked to says "mild"

I tend to like a bolder/stronger roast with cream but only a little bit of sugar.

I did a quick search but came up blank re. what the differences are....

Oh, and how would you rate these against the Via....ignoring the price?

Any idea what the difference is between that Maxim coffee you linked to, vs the white gold vs the original?

I tend to like a bolder/stronger roast with cream but only a little bit of sugar.

Via is pricey and ok. Maxim is stronger and better IMHO. Bolder is better because you can always weaken strong coffee, you cannot do the reverse too well. ;)

OK, I have no idea what the difference is since I've only tried the Gold.  I like to drink Sumatra, French Roast and Starbucks' Verona coffees.  I actually bring Starbucks coffee with me on campouts, use a French Press and serve it with raw sugar and half and half.  

This isn't quite as strong as a French Roast or Sumatra, but it is really good.  Based on the information in the reviews, there seems to be a way to control the sugar (it seems to fall to the bottom of the packet, so if you don't pour it all out it would have less sugar).  For me, the amount of cream and sugar is perfect.

For price puproses,I use two packets for one cup of coffee vs. one packet for the Via.

So if Starbucks brewed coffee is a 10, a Keurig is a 9.5, the Via is an 9 and this stuff is a 8.5.  If given the choice of a Via packet, a couple of raw sugar packets and a couple of mini containers half and half or the Mocha Gold, I'd take the Via packet.  Given the choice between the Via packet, Coffeemate powder and regular sugar, I'd take the Mocha Gold.  

For me, when it comes to coffee, I'm willing to spend more to get something better.  For backpacking, this is the best choice balancing taste, convience and price.