Fund Raising pros and cons

We had a an adult leaders meeting last night where there was hot topic of debate with no conclusion reached beyond putting it to the PLs Council for their input. That is fund raising....

My group is quite lucky in that we have a twin troop in Canada. They came to us for summer camp in 2015 and we are planning on going to them in 2017. It won't be cheap. Our estimate is about £1300 per person pre fund raising. We will need to fund raise and our target is to get it down to £1000 or less per person. In addition, while we draw from a reasonably wealthy area of town, not all our families are as well off and we want to make some extra provision for getting the cost down even further for them.

So far so good.

We also have an annual event called The Sun Run. It's an over night hike, sun set to sun rise, the closest Saturday night to the summer solstice each June. Normally we get the troop to decide on a charity and we get sponsored and typically raise close to £2K for that charity.

The question is whether this year charity should begin at home and we use it as a fund raiser for Canada. Broadly there are 3 options

1.  Stick as we are and do it for another charity

Pros - its within the scout spirit of doing something for others and sponsors are likely to be more generous if we're doing it for others. everyone has an equal amount of skin in the game when it's 3am and raining and they're tired....

Cons - does nothing for Canada fund raising and we will need to fit something else into the pogram,

2.  Use it as a general fund raiser for Canada

Pros - its a tried an tested, popular part of the program that we will get a good turn out for as the scouts love it. Proven money spinner

Cons - much of the sponsorship comes from families of those doing it which somewhat defeats the object. Sponsors may be less generous. Not everyone doing it has as much skin in the game

3.  Use it to assist those who need extra help with Canada

Pros - its a tried an tested, popular part of the program that we will get a good turn out for as the scouts love it. Proven money spinner. everyone has skin in the game if they are helping their friends out who need it (although recipients stay anonymous)

Cons - does nothing for general Canada fund raising thus needing to get something else into the program.

There's the 4th option of doing a mixture of the 3.

Like I say, next stage is PLs council but just wondering what others think.....

Because, really, @@Krampus, Britain is awash in police boxes. :mad:

I would stick with tradition and have the youth pick a charity.

Under the American notion of "a scout pays his own way", if they want to defer the cost of the trip, they may think along the lines of selling merchandise or a service (e.g. bake sale, yard work, a fellowship dinner/breakfast, community theater).

@@skip

I would choose option 1 and option 5.  Not sure how many years you've been doing The Sun Run but if it's over two, you've pretty much solidified the intent of the charity event in the minds of the people that donate to it - To suddenly decide to choose your own unit as the charity could be seen as a betrayal by those who donate.

So what's this option 5?  Option 5 is go find a few other fundraisers that you can do to raise funds for the Canada trip - and think about doing multiple small ones rather than one big one.  Car washes, or if really ambitious truck washes (ummm, sorry - lorry washes); pancake breakfasts, things like that.

Because, really, @@Krampus, Britain is awash in police boxes. :mad:

I would stick with tradition and have the youth pick a charity.

Especially those blue police ones. Almost every street corner. 

You mock, but I tell you teenaged fan-girls in the US would pay big money for half the crappola on the Doctor Who Store on the BBC website if you could sell it here. In Dallas there's tons of disposable Daddy-money that they'd spend no problem. You could probably fund your entire trip twice over. Just sayin'.

• Upvote 2

I seriously considered buying a $100+ autographed picture of David Tennant for my daughter.  But changed my mind now that she won't come visit and bring my granddaughter anymore..... just because I have a Weeping Angel in my living room and another one guarding the front door.   Cheeesh!

• Upvote 2

I seriously considered buying a $100+ autographed picture of David Tennant for my daughter.  But changed my mind now that she won't come visit and bring my granddaughter anymore..... just because I have a Weeping Angel in my living room and another one guarding the front door.   Cheeesh!

Okay, 'Skip. Against my better judgement, I think we're close to a cottage-industry solution.:

Police box patches.

If you can figure out how to get them printed and cut, and your scouts can do a little oragami or whatever so that they have a "pop-out" look and will dangle from a right pocket button, and they can be numbered and signed by the "youth inspector" with your troop #s on it -- maybe Bear Grylls picture on the bottom. I bet you could market them for 10 quid, shipping included.

You might want to call the BBC right now before @@ianwilkins beats you to the rights!

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Im doing some research on my first reef tank and looking at the AIOs in my price range and narrowed it down to IM and JBJ. I found a few threads on the subject but theyre all a few years old. I wanted to see if anything changed.

Im leaning toward the JBJ because I like the glass lid and the bent glass but Im not sure if these are pros or cons. Ive also heard the glass quality is not as clear as the IMs and has had failures due to the bent glass design. Is this still true?

What are some of the other pros and cons of these tanks?

It looks like C-Views will be out next month but I dont know if I want to wait.