Talking politics around the campfire

Race as an issue and rationale for policy, practices, and laws has a much longer history than 1960 forward.

Claimed racial inferiority was a rationalization for the asserted right of the "White Race" to enslave Africans from the first and the overt basis for the Jim Crow society from 1877 to  ???  

Virginia outlawed sexual relations between "whites" and all blacks (not just slaves) in 1691.  Maryland followed in 1692.  Those prohibitions were purely a matter of the perceived inferiority of the black "race" and the need to protect the "purity" of the "white race."

Seven of the original thirteen colonies had ant-miscegenation statures in 1776.

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I tend to keep my politics/religion away from the Scouts. I'm happy to chat about it with adults, but I don't need youth parroting my opinions and having their parents flip out.    On the other hand

I once has to interrupt an argument over 'Marbury vs Madison' and thought they actually must be learning something in 8th grade US History.

Youth that age aren't stupid. I'm sure your silence spoke volumes. Pity the chap. He'll be brunt of the kids' jokes for years to come.   Now, regarding enabling your kids to disentangle those issue

And the only good Indian is a dead Indian.- Philip Sheridan, Plains Indian Fighter for the US Army.

The majority of laborers who built the Transcontinental Railroad were not whites either. 1/10th were Irish.the bulk of the rest were Chinese

In the US territories following the Civil War, Buffalo Soldiers were called up to put down a slave rebellion in the Indian held territory.  The slaves were black.  Ever wonder why the ultra liberal Hollywood only portray the Indian fighters as the 5th and 7th Cavalry?  It's because the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th were Buffalo Soldier units.

Irish need not apply.

WOP means "Without Papers"

People get their backs wet when they swim the Rio Grande.

This "Stuff" is nothing new to the world, the US doesn't have a corner on the market, and wars don't settle the problem.

Ruhanda, Cambodia, Germany, Russia, The New World, Manifest Destiny, Midianites, take your pick.  It's all the same today as it was yesterday, just different names and different places.  

Technologically man has made great advances for the improvement of mankind.  The rest has stayed pretty much the same.

Correct me, but if I recall correctly the slave trade out of Africa was was originated basically out of the Arab Slave Trade business until the Portuguese took it over for the European and their colonies' market.

Edited by Stosh

Plenty of shame to go around.  

When the Han peoples crossed to Japan they began an effort to exterminate the aboriginal people.

Then we have the wonderfulness of treatment of the original people of Australia.  

There's an island in Canada covered with bones from one tribe doing away with another.  

Bosnia. church basements, and gasoline.

The Holocaust

The Holomodor in the Ukraine in 1932-33

The Armenian and Greek genocide of 1915-1919

It's all about the "other."

And the only good Indian is a dead Indian.- Philip Sheridan, Plains Indian Fighter for the US Army.

The majority of laborers who built the Transcontinental Railroad were not whites either. 1/10th were Irish.the bulk of the rest were Chinese

In the US territories following the Civil War, Buffalo Soldiers were called up to put down a slave rebellion in the Indian held territory.  The slaves were black.  Ever wonder why the ultra liberal Hollywood only portray the Indian fighters as the 5th and 7th Cavalry?  It's because the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th were Buffalo Soldier units.

Irish need not apply.

WOP means "Without Papers"

People get their backs wet when they swim the Rio Grande.

This "Stuff" is nothing new to the world, the US doesn't have a corner on the market, and wars don't settle the problem.

Ruhanda, Cambodia, Germany, Russia, The New World, Manifest Destiny, Midianites, take your pick.  It's all the same today as it was yesterday, just different names and different places.  

Technologically man has made great advances for the improvement of mankind.  The rest has stayed pretty much the same.

Correct me, but if I recall correctly the slave trade out of Africa was was originated basically out of the Arab Slave Trade business until the Portuguese took it over for the European and their colonies' market.

And, if I am remembering correctly, were not a large majority of the sold people done so by other African tribes?  Yes, the trade was European at the end of the line, sold to colonists and so on, but they often came from tribal raids and capture specifically for the trade.  Not to say it makes it any less distasteful.  

And, if I am remembering correctly, were not a large majority of the sold people done so by other African tribes?  Yes, the trade was European at the end of the line, sold to colonists and so on, but they often came from tribal raids and capture specifically for the trade.  Not to say it makes it any less distasteful.  

That was only a small part of the trade.  The Barbary corsairs took African slaves for the colonies and Christian slaves for the Arab Ottomans.  Kinda like an equal opportunity type of setup.  They were rather good at it and that's where the "Shores of Tripoli" are.  :)

Slavery has been around since day one and will probably be around in one form or another well on into the future.  We get all worked up about the African slave trade, but getting Shanghaied was not a pleasant experience either.

The issue of slavery in today's first world societies is rather repugnant, but we have our indentured servants and a number of other work arounds.  In other parts of the world, it was the natural consequences of being conquered.  What do you do with all the people after you've won the war?  One can do like Moses with the Midianites.  Killed them all except the girls under 13 who were virgins, they were enslaved. 

So people were set free after the Civil War only to "Owe your soul to the Company Store" a few years later.  The Union wars pretty much cleared that up, but those today that are enslaved are those on the dole.  They're never going to get rich and the government controls the person's freedom.  After all from the 1929 to 1945, most American men were subject to the whims of  the government.  It was haled as a god-send, but in reality, if one didn't work for the government and weren't self-sufficient, your future was pretty bleak.  My grandfather "survived" the Great Depression" by growing and selling popcorn and strawberries.  Basically with 4 sons, they were able to work on the farm for food and catch whatever jobs they could to survive the banker and tax man.

Does that sound like a free person to you?

Most of the slave sold in the western hemisphere were sold by Africans to those who shipped them west.  Spoils of war and slave raids.  They were also selling slaves east, headed for the slave markets of the Middle East.

• 3 weeks later...

Being informed is a responsibility that ought to be a duty.  Voting is a right, often exercised in near-total ignorance.  Of course, no right is absolute (yelling "fire" in a crowded theater and all that).

What's the distinction between "responsibility" and "duty"?

You decide.  It seems to be a matter of degree,

As best I can figure out, ought to do  (theoretically at least) vs. obligated to do.  Not just a "good" thing but what society agrees should always be done.