Understanding and noticing that some of the folks on the forum have been experiencing a tough time lately, I wanted to step out of the "lurker role" and state that I gain greatly from the wisdom, advice, and experience of all members who post, acknowledging that some do not share all of the same views that I hold.

Spring is battling to gain the upper hand in my neck of the woods, and I for one cannot wait to get out into the warmer, open air with our troop. I am excited for a new season of Scouting and for the future.

I am truly excited by the fact that troop for which I serve as Scoutmaster will be going to Sea Base this summer and will be staying on Big Munson Island. I'll be sharing the experience with both of my sons (and 15 of their close friends), making the experience all the more sweet.

There are quite a few good YouTube videos about the "Out Island Adventure" Sea Base experience. I did wonder whether anyone else on the forum had gone on this particular high adventure experience and if they had any personal advice for our troop to make the most of the adventure. Thanks much.

• Upvote 1

Not me personally, but my Troop has been twice.   Noted recommendations:  READ THE BOOK.   Bug spray, sunscreen (SPF 35 plus),  two swim trunks or Scout convertables.  waterproof bags for phones,cameras, monies etc.  Troop tshirts and/or patches for trading.  Hats.   You can buy souvenir towels or bring your own. Learn to swim at home and practice....

Sensible advice! Thanks. I did not know about trading patches or shirts. What is that? Thanks again.

At the HQ, where you are provisioned and assigned your guide, there will be dozens of other units coming and going. So there's a chance to make an exchange with someone from other parts.

If your stopping along the way, say Miami Beach, learning a little Spanish goes a long way.

I know of one crew who kayaked to the island. Once there, all cell phones and watches (except one) were stored in a dry bag. From that point forward, everyone operated on "Seabase time." If you were tired, it was nap time. Hungry? Supper time. Curious? exploring time.

The better your boys are at teamwork and making decisions together quickly, the more fun they'll have.

As far as you know, is there electricity on Big Munson Island? I am VERY interested in detaching from electronica overall.  Just wondering about recharging camera batteries.  

Are there showers on the Island?

Thanks.

As far as you know, is there electricity on Big Munson Island? I am VERY interested in detaching from electronica overall.  Just wondering about recharging camera batteries.  

Are there showers on the Island?

Thanks.

Oh, that's funny!

Your best bet, after reading the manual cover-to-cover ... and about your adventure specifically, is to call the captain of the base.

The lighting during the summer is really good, so you should do well with fully charged batteries. Consider getting a back-up charging system. Solar works.

The real challenge is keeping things dry and salt-free for a week.

Practice canoeing with your crew before you go.  It is good way to build your crew camaraderie and the strength you need to paddle 5+ miles out to the island.

Make sure your sunblock is waterproof, and when you are heading out to the island, make sure that you put it all the way up on your thighs since shorts tend to ride up when you are seated in the war canoe.  Nothing is less fun that having a sunburn on the island.

Bring the recommended seasickness medicine in your crew first aid kit.  Even if you don't normally get seasick, when you are out on the fishing boat in waves 2x taller than the boat, things change.  Even our Island Mate threw up!

Your shower on the island consists of taking your water bottle and dumping it on your head.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, Tatung42. I did not know if they rigged up some kind of pioneering shower.  :)

My son and I watched some YouTube videos of the 5+ mile war canoe trek to the island. Looks rough, we should practice indeed.

Thanks for the other advice. Did anyone try those wrist band things for sea sickness?

Thanks again.

Been there.  Had a great time.  

- Time of the year significantly ... significantly ... changes the experience.  We went in August.  Day time temps were 90+.  Temp on the beach sand was 100+ easily.  Temp at 2am was 85+.  The harder part was the humidity.  Nothing ever dried that week.  It just went from really wet when it rained in the afternoon to fairly damp.  Things will get icky.  

- Read the guide.  The best advice is in the guide equipment list.

- If I had to re-experience that week ... great trip ... absolutely great ... I would not bring any tea shirts.  They don't breath and you can't unbutton them to get air flow on the skin.  Get some nice shirts with air vents in the back that breath and that you can unbutton somewhat.

- Gold bond.  Gold bond.  Gold bond.  ... One scout used enough that every time he walked there was a small puff of white smoke like he had elected a pope.

- Leave some time before or after to go see a baseball game in Miami or Fort Lauderdale or to see Key West or see that fort tortuga or what ever it's named.  You're already down there.  Do a day of touring.

- Canoeing was actually really easy.  It's not difficult canoeing at all.

- Remember some clean clothes you can leave at the base to change back into when you get back.   You may or may not be able to do laundry.  Even after laundry, your shirts my still feel creepy crawly after the week.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We did a Spring break Abaco Bahamas sailing adventure this year, here is a few of my tips based on lessons learned.

For those that do not often travel out of country with scouts be sure to have the reservation name(s) the same as the name on the passport.

The guide recommends 120-150 in spending money, it misses that a good portion should be small bills.

3-4 carabiners color code with strips of electrical tape for easy identification needed to attach nalagene bottle to the lifelines and to identify what mesh bag with the snorkel gear is yours and a couple extras in case one goes swimming.

Day bag just large enough to carry extra clothing and shower gear on shore excursions that have showers.

If you are doing the Bahamas sailing adventure look into getting the Sea of Abaco Explorer charts they are plastic coated and cost around $5 cheap enough to allow everyone in the crew to have one.

If you have access to indoor pools in winter spend quality time with the crew getting comfortable with snorkel gear and building endurance.

Most of the beaches in resort areas have volley ball nets and are willing to loan a ball to the scouts, have your crew practice they just might need it.

As much as it pains me to say it the best beach shoe seems to be a Croc, The captain recommended them mainly because they rinse the sand out quickly and dry nearly instantly.

2-3 2 gallon zip top bags to put all the dirty, smelly, sandy clothes into.

A set of clean clothes reserved for traveling home sealed into a bag.

Extra flash card memory and charged batteries for digital cameras.

For the crew a bag of clothes pins to hang wet clothes on lifelines, to replace any lost from the boat.

Name tag everything!

That's enough for now

-Phil

• Upvote 1

The new silicate lotion they sell now works better, smaller size and remains active longer without reapplication.

can you point to a particular product?