World Crest Required?

Hover over the ring on the website and it does state that it is not required.  It is also not listed below under the uniform essentials,   World crest, council patch and numerals are all required.  It's just another example of BSA's inconsistency policy for uniform wear.

Hover over the ring on the website and it does state that it is not required.  It is also not listed below under the uniform essentials,   World crest, council patch and numerals are all required.  It's just another example of BSA's inconsistency policy for uniform wear.

Yes, but the silly "key" notes it as required.

Typically of BSA...can never make anything 100% accurate. Meh...

• Upvote 1

I am sure many saw the BSA post on social media about their uniform website getting awards? I clicked through and noticed that now the World Crest "ring" (the 1910-2010 centennial ring) is now considered required? Did they have leftover supply and just trying to get rid of it to make money?

http://bsauniforms.org/boyscouts

I know they try to sell me one whenever I get a new uniform shirt for my sons.  Frankly, I don't like the 1910-2010 centennial ring, I think it looks tacky. 

• Upvote 2

I am sure many saw the BSA post on social media about their uniform website getting awards? I clicked through and noticed that now the World Crest "ring" (the 1910-2010 centennial ring) is now considered required? Did they have leftover supply and just trying to get rid of it to make money?

http://bsauniforms.org/boyscouts

This looks like a website design error. The boarder around the patch at the top of the page indicates the patch is required, but if you hover your mouse over the patch it says "It is not required for uniform wear, but makes a handsome addition." Lower on the website, the patch is not included on the list of "essential" patches.

(Edit - just noticed Stosh posted the exact same thing)

Edited by meschen

Looks to me more like a website design error than inconstant uniform policy.

I view things like that to be "been there, done that" patches.  I have a 1960 vintage uniform shirt with the 50th Anniversary strip on it.  I would never think of wearing that on my current uniform, because I wasn't a member in 1960 and didn't "earn" it.  I do, however wear my 1966 summer camp patch...because I was there. 

• Upvote 1

I view things like that to be "been there, done that" patches.  I have a 1960 vintage uniform shirt with the 50th Anniversary strip on it.  I would never think of wearing that on my current uniform, because I wasn't a member in 1960 and didn't "earn" it.  I do, however wear my 1966 summer camp patch...because I was there. 

Agreed. Once a uniform, always a uniform. But this was about some old patch being mandatory. @@meschen is right, it is poor website design.

I remember at one time the world crest patch was received when a scout participated in an international scouting event.

Yup. Had to earn it. Now you have to buy it and put it on.

I should have been clearer in the thread title, we were talking about the crest "ring" from the Centennial.