The PLC Has Decided: Mixed Aged Patrols in May

Krampus, sounds like you are describing my scouting days!

I had some good scout instructors, youth and adult.   By far, my best teachers were pain, embarrassment, cold and hunger.   All temporary conditions, fortunately!

From day one, I tell my boys they will learn more from mistakes than from doing it right.  I expect failure so that when they get out in the real world they know how to handle it.  If other people are having problems, they will also know how to help them (at all times).

Any adult in the program expecting perfection is OCD and running an adult-run program.  This is the boys' program!  Every year they will make the same mistakes as the boys did last year.  Some things get passed down as training and tradition, but somethings just have to be learned by each boy coming through the program.  When the SM's act as if this is the first time he's seen this problem he's doing the boy and himself a terrible disservice.

I can almost guarantee the first meal cooked by the NSP will not pass muster at any sleazy diner anywhere in the world.  Heck, I've seen some troops where their Eagles can't even start the campfire let alone cook on it.  They cook on a gas stove at home and at camp.  What's the big deal.  Cook me pancakes and bacon on a wood campfire and I'll be impressed and I'd even pay money for it!  Toss in a cup of camp coffee and I'll double the tip!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of an update.   Leader's Meeting   There was a leader's meeting last night prior to the Court of Honor. I was only able to attend a few minutes as I had to sit on Boards of Review (don't ask

Was at camporee recently. Most of the troops sent parents around with the patrols to the competitions...and not just the NSPs. We simply cut ours loose, told them we'd see them at dinner and let them

To my cheerleaders, heck everyone THANK YOU! This is a long, time consuming, and at times, very frustrating process. I need all the encouragement I can at times.   Regarding the mixed backgrounds, s

I can tell the Majority of yall were or are involved in Big Troops....

Said this Before..I Grew up in a Troop where we were lucky to have 8-12 Scouts at the Max and usually had around 8 at the Most at any given time...

Our ages ran from 11 to 18 at any given time. 

We were a Troop and a Patrol at the same time...When we competed at Council events I don't think we ever had to worry about a Patrol Size limit causing us to be split up.

I can almost guarantee the first meal cooked by the NSP will not pass muster at any sleazy diner anywhere in the world.  Heck, I've seen some troops where their Eagles can't even start the campfire let alone cook on it.  They cook on a gas stove at home and at camp.  What's the big deal.  Cook me pancakes and bacon on a wood campfire and I'll be impressed and I'd even pay money for it!  Toss in a cup of camp coffee and I'll double the tip!

You would have owed me some money

Being a Country Boy I knew how to Camp prior to Boy Scoutsand more importantly how to cook..

I was taught by my Great Grandmother.

After my First Camp out..I was the permanent Troop Cook...

After My first Council Camporee..I was the "Unofficial" Staff Cook...staff always came to our campsite to eat

I was known for Steaks, Pheasants, Quail, Cornish Hens, Pork Chops, Fried Catfish....Cobblers and Cakes...sometimes even venison, duck and rabbits

Breakfast always had Pancakes, Bacon, Hot Links, Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage, Fresh Biscuits, Peppered Gravy, Hot Oat Meal, Grits and Scrambled Eggs and sometimes Breakfast Burritos...

I literally need a Chuckwagon...for flour, sugar, baking Powder, baking soda, starch, beans, noodles...no mixes in my box

• Upvote 1

A couple of times I was given the opportunity to go fishing in Canada.  The other guys paid for the gas, food, licenses, etc.  It was basically a free vacation for me..... I was the cook.  :D