By the way, what are the warning points we see on our profiles and why with all the concern aren't any of them above zero?

There isn't a moderators orientation course. I didn't realize they were an option....

​In addition, the moderator User Interface doesn't make it easy to assign points. It's not as simple as the upvote/downvote system.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I guess another form of scout crack is to get @@packsaddle to come out of hibernation.   The problem with all forums is they are public and disagreeing with someone in public gets people defens

Click on his avatar and read the last half dozen posts he made. It's not too hard to guess why.

By the way, what are the warning points we see on our profiles and why with all the concern aren't any of them above zero?

First of all, with all WHAT concern?

Second of all, the "warning point" system is a feature of the "new" forum software, and the moderators have never really used it on a systematic basis. I think I used it once on a "borderline" spammer. I don't know whether any of the other moderators have ever used it. For "regular" members of the forum it is better to handle these things through email. For spammers where the situation isn't borderline, we generally just ban the account. Although recently there has been no spam. I think the human spammers and maybe even the spambots have figured out that our "approval/disapproval" system prevents the spam from being seen by anyone but the moderators. I'd say it has worked very well.

Well, then we will continue to risk losing folks who add a great deal to the discussion here. Good to know someone will be around to turn off the light when we're all gone.

It is a shame when people leave, but the fact (on this and every other Web site) is that people leave and join the forum all the time. They leave for all sorts of reasons. I myself left this forum once, for something like 1.5-2 years. I came back.

I just don't see a person or two or three leaving in a huff as a crisis. Unfortunate yes, crisis no. And it is not something new. And sometimes it is just an April Fool's joke.

It is a shame when people leave, but the fact (on this and every other Web site) is that people leave and join the forum all the time. They leave for all sorts of reasons. I myself left this forum once, for something like 1.5-2 years. I came back.

I just don't see a person or two or three leaving in a huff as a crisis. Unfortunate yes, crisis no. And it is not something new. And sometimes it is just an April Fool's joke.

You'll note I did not say just any person. I noted people who, over the years, have posted a great deal and are/have been the engine that helps run this place. People do come and go. Hard workers are hard to find.

Put in Scouting terms, losing the parent that occasionally helps is not a problem. Losing a Scoutmaster or CC is a totally different problem. What we have here in the last few years is the latter.

• Upvote 1