• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I guess another form of scout crack is to get @@packsaddle to come out of hibernation.   The problem with all forums is they are public and disagreeing with someone in public gets people defens

Click on his avatar and read the last half dozen posts he made. It's not too hard to guess why.

@cyclops:

Thanks for your contributions on the forums.

​You have already found that deleting your account is impossible. (At least as far as I know). Moderators have no way of removing profiles other than banning them, which is not appropriate in this situation.

I don't know what happened, but hopefully one day in the future you will return.

​Sentinel947

That post was a train-wreck waiting to happen. No offense to the OP.

The cautionary tale here, nation-wide we are bringing back scouters who have been on the adversarial side of policies. (The jury is still out on if that number will ever offset scouters lost due to the tables turning.) High minded talk can amount to rubbing salt in the wound. So this isn't just about the barriers of face to face ...

If it happened on a forum, it can happen at your district round-table or camporee.

Wise up here, and we might just better serve the boots on the ground at our real campfires.

A Scout is Reverent.  No only does he meet the expectations of his own religion, he is also bound by Scout Law to respect or at least tolerate the expectations of others. 

I didn't agree with cyclops very often, but I did respect his points of view and totally understand his reasoning for why he left.  The comments on the forum can be quite un-Scoutlike at times.

If it happened on a forum, it can happen at your district round-table or camporee.

Already did when LDS sent their letter last July. Smart mouth ASM from a unit spouted off and the LDS leader at RT closed the doors early, locked up and left. No RT that month. ;)

I tried to warn him. Sad. I&P is a blight on these forums. I understand his feelings but I disagree with his decision to leave. Leaving didn't improve anything. It was a better place with him at the campfire.

• Upvote 1

Just because something is dumped under I&P doesn't mean that postings in that area are exempt from the Scout Law.

But whenever any time any kind of civility is enforced, the free speech foul is called on us. I know the few times I've deleted or modified offensive comments in I&P I was basically called the Scouting gestapo or thought police. 

I have no idea how to deal with that sub-forum. 

John

But whenever any time any kind of civility is enforced, the free speech foul is called on us. I know the few times I've deleted or modified offensive comments in I&P I was basically called the Scouting gestapo or thought police. 

I have no idea how to deal with that sub-forum. 

John

As an administrator on other forums, I know the position you are in.  Not comfortable to say the least, but there comes a time when one has to stand up for a principle (i.e. Scout Law) and hold the line regardless of the push back (A Scout is Brave).  Free speech is allowed in this country, but civility is a virtue that can't be shouted down.  The route that sub-forum is taking is leading straight to extinction.  The sooner the better.  If free speech is not allowed in the other sub-forums because of scouting principles, a cesspool section is not appropriate anywhere on the forum.  I&P issues can be addressed without the opportunity to drive away good scouters.  My vote is to let the moderators do their job within the limits of the Scout Law and if one finds it necessary to be allowed their free speech, they should be the ones looking for a new forum to mess up.