Merit Badge Counselor Question

Go to solution Solved by CalicoPenn,

Does a MB Counselor need to be chartered to a specific troop or unit? Or do they only need to be registered through the local council, with Youth Protection of course.

As far as I know they fill out a membership form, submit to council, take YPT and in some councils take MBC training. I think you can be a district/council aligned MBC without having to be part of a unit.

• Upvote 1

Merit Badge Counselors are chartered through the local council, whether they decide to work with a specific unit or not.

Although they may charter through a council (and assigned to a district). They may also be affiliated with a unit, and most are in my district. The district then tries to make it the units' responsibility to keep their respective MBC's up to date and trained.

An MBC may decide to work soley with their respective unit, but what's the fun in that? I encourage them to work with any scout in the district.

I am registered with a unit as SM,  I am registered with the council as a UC and I am registered with the council as a MBC.  I wear three different hats in scouting and I wear them at different times, never together.  All three roles are independent from each other and stand by themselves.