I wanted to split this from the "Mamma Bear here again ..." thread, but I don't see how to do that with the new format.  So cut and paste will have to do.  It doesn't really have anything to do with the original topic.

In any case, this line caught my eye:

"Oh, son is also working to earn his NYLT beads."

What's this all about?  The only beads I am aware of that are associated with NYLT are a 3rd WB bead for adult staff.  Has there been a recent change to the program, like tickets for youth? Or a rogue council devising its own alternative program?

Edited by The Blancmange

Adult staffers who have passed the requirements can earn beads for serving as course SM or course SA  Every adult staffer is undoubtedly someone's "son."

The insignia for a youth who has completed NYLT is the NLYT strip.

Our council gives "wolf claws" or something like that to youth who complete NYTLT.  Essentially something that looks kinda like WB beads.  These are doodads I don't think it's anything either official or in violation of anything. 

Adult staffers who have passed the requirements can earn beads for serving as course SM or course SA Every adult staffer is undoubtedly someone's "son."

The insignia for a youth who has completed NYLT is the NLYT strip.

I asked the Scout Shop about that strip. They said that's a third party patch. The only recognized patch is the bsa nylt patch.

Anyone else get a different answer?

EDIT: Appears my scout shop was wrong (no surprise). Scoutstuff.org sells the strip.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/emb-nylt-trained-strip.html#.VvZuzno8KrU

Edited by Krampus

I have seen "beads" of various bling material being worn by NYLT graduates.  NYLT is rapidly becoming the WB for kids.  Next thing you know, the Lions will be wearing WB knock-off beads...... 

I don't think the extra bling is a huge deal. But it sounds like Zuzy's son is in the process of doing something akin to working a ticket, which is totally beyond the scope of the course. I haven't seen the NYLT syllabus, but I know how explicit the WB syllabus is that no changes are to be made to the course. Given the similarities, I assume it is there as well.

Edited by The Blancmange

Yes, national doesn't want any changes of the NYLT: no more calling the course Brownsea, Golden Acorn, or any other name used in the past or locally. Nothing is to be added to or taken away from the program. And If I'm not mistaken NYLT course directors also need to attend training on par with WB course director at the regional/national level.

As for beads and other bling not being a big deal, it can be. I've done uniform inspections for camporees in the past. I've seen some unauthorized bling on NYLT grads, and when I point out that it's not authorized and I will need to take off points, you need to see the reactions they, and their SMs, will give me.

At least three councils have ticket-like processes and recognition for completion - in one case a special neckerchief.

"It seems that many small things have had an impact on our son's life. But a more significant one is when he saw three of his fellow scouts receive their Silver Bear Awards from NYLT."

I too recall the 2009 dictated death of special local names such as Golden Acorn.  The dictate was not obeyed.  

ABOUT GREY WOLF YOUTH LEADER TRAINING   NATIONAL YOUTH LEADER TRAINING

Grey Wolf is our council's National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT). The course is designed around a model troop/crew's month.

NYLT - Top Gun National Youth Leadership Training

NYLT-Twin Arrows Training is the premier youth leadership development course for the Boy Scouts of America within the Longhorn Council.  It brings together youth leaders from all over the council to learn and apply the skills they need to be effective leaders in their teams and units.
Edited by TAHAWK

Interesting.  I haven't had the time, nor the WB beads, to staff the local NYLT, but my understanding was that regional/national could yank approval if you didn't do it their way.

personally, I'd like to see some of the BA22 traditions come back, i.e. plain uniform with only CSP,  numbers 22, and your patrol emblem, awarding smokey bears upon completion, etc.