Who is your troop's trailer registered to?

Who is your Troop's Trailer Registered to?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. So, wondering if your trailers are registered to....

• Scoutmaster's?
    • CC?
    • some other committee member?
    • The CO?
    • somebody else?
  2. 2. and which mailing address is listed on the registration....

• the registrant's home address?
    • the CO's office?
    • somewhere else?

Passenger cars, small trucks, trailers, need inspections in our state.  It keeps everyone from tail-gating.  :)

No registration means no inspection too?

We have both in Texas, yet you see some pretty natty trailers on the road. I ride a good half mile behind them just in case. ;)

No inspections of any vehicles where I live now.  I grew up in PA which had semi-annual inspections of all cars.  I found the inspections really annoying and expensive when I lived there, now I'm appalled at the obvious "beaters" I see being driven down the road.

Who holds the insurance on the trailer?

We don't carry separate insurance on our trailer; I need to talk to the legal eagles on the committee at the time of purchase and see if that was a deliberate decision or not.  

Does your Troop or CO carry a separate policy for the trailer?

I posted the link higher up that covered some scenarios that are probably accurate in terms of what happens if the trailer is damaged or causes damage.  

While going down the road, liability arising from an accident involving the trailer is probably going to be covered by the insurance of the vehicle pulling it.  If there's a lot of money involved and/or some question concerning whether the accident is actually because of the trailer then the CO will probably be pulled in as the owner.  If the CO has collision or comprehensive insurance, it's possible that will cover the trailer and its contents, but that's highly dependent on the policy and if the CO is willing to file a claim.  I tried to figure out from my insurance policy whether the trailer is covered by my collision/comprehensive, I don't think it is, but it is also possible that since I don't own the trailer the Troop/CO could file a claim against me for an accident that was my fault and my insurer would pay off under the liability coverage of my policy.   My homeowners and umbrella policy could also come into play if there was a loss caused by me.

We store our trailer on the CO's property so any loss while there would be covered by whatever property insurance,if any, that they would have.  That would also be subject to them being willing to file the claim.

The trailer had already been a topic for recent discussions for us in the committee, that and these threads have me deciding to dig a little deeper.

No registration means no inspection too?

We have both in Texas, yet you see some pretty natty trailers on the road. I ride a good half mile behind them just in case. ;)

Trailer can look pristine ... one fresh chain never secured ... you'll never tell until it comes flying.

So, of things not to tailgate, those two-wheeled trebuchet-in-disguise are up high on my list.

Yes. It is supplemental to the auto insurance.

Just so I'm clear, supplemental to the auto insurance of whoever is pulling it right?

Is that liability, comprehensive/collision?  Do you know if it covers either trailer or contents when it's just sitting in the parking lot?

Just so I'm clear, supplemental to the auto insurance of whoever is pulling it right?

Is that liability, comprehensive/collision?  Do you know if it covers either trailer or contents when it's just sitting in the parking lot?

So we have a few things here. The unit pays for those who haul the trailer to have supplemental insurance for pulling the trailer. It is comprehensive and based on potential damages that may result from pulling the trailer. I don't know the exact details, but as I understand it there's some type of calculator the agent can use to help determine what coverage is needed.

For the gear in the trailer, I am told this is a rider much like you would have for personal items in a car or other storage space.

1)  If the state requires tags on the trailer , then the trailer has a "title".  It is a vehicle, albeit a non-powered one.  The title has a name and address on it, and probably either the driver's license number or the SSN of the named individual.  If it is titled to an "organization", , then the org's EIN, perhaps..

2) Find the title  If no title can be found, go to your MVA/DMV  and ask for a replacement title ($$). If named owner is  dead, then next of kin will probably have to get in the act.  Certificate of death?   With that in hand, go thru the process of selling (?giving?) the title to someone (something? ) else.  Talk to a sympathetic (yes, they can be)  MVA agent about the problem.  It is a Scout Troop trailer.....

3)   Unit Committee and CO (the COR?)  need to talk.  Why is the CO a CO for a Scout unit if not to SUPPORT the unit?   Closet space, parking space, insurance, etc. all are reasonable "support".  If the CO owns the trailer, CO's insurance should cover theft and loss while not being actively towed (check with your insurance agent).    Towing vehicle is USUALLY the "insured" if involved in a traffic accident and attached to the trailer. 

4)  Discuss maintenance costs:   Service brakes, new tires, burned out light bulbs (out of the "Scout Spirit" of the adult leaders?).

5)  Here's a "what if" to discuss:    Mr. ASM tows trailer to the Camporee.   Forest fire breaks out, camp is evacuated, everyone is OK, but the trailer had to be left behind and is now a total loss.  Who pays for all the tents, stoves, lamps, etc.?  How to claim it, God forbid? Is there an inventory?   20 year old trailer is worth how much now?

I'm just sayin' ...

It depends on the state. Here in NJ. Trailers are required to be registered and get a license plate, but they don't receive a title. a hand written bill of sale is all that's needed to transfer it from one person to another. No inspection required either.

What it boils down to is bill-of-sale with the implication of ownership of the trailer.  Legally one would assume that the registration is given to the bill-of-sale owner.  if the bill-of-sale is prior to the current registered "owner" of the trailer could it also be assumed that legal ownership was given at zero cost and the current registration signifies ownership?