Did you go to your District Dinner

We had our District Dinner last night. Great time! Lots of fun, good food and great company.

Funny thing of the night was the joke we played on one of the old timers in the district. Background. John has been in Scouts longer than I've been alive. I believe he is in his upper 70's. He is a happy go lucky type of guy. He hasn't been to Wood badge. He jokingly messes with those who have been or are going. Before you WBers go on a rampage, John has stated that WB is worth wile to Scouting. The running joke for the past few months is that we are taking up a collection and sending John to the next class.

Last night he gave a set of Madi Gras bead to a WBer, I yelled across the room. "Hey Evelyn, now give John your WB beads for trade."

Lot of folks laughed and John pointed at me. Toward the end of the night John and a few of we're talking. Jim P asked John to hold out his hand. When John did, Jim place his WB bead in John's palm. John ranted "Great, now I have to go wash my hands."

On a serious note, of our own forum gurus was recognized as "Outstanding Scouter of the Year" for his unit.

So lets give a big hand to ManyIrons.

Chicken may be the other white meat but by the end of this month I am fed up with it.

February is of course Blue and Gold month. I try to get to all the banquets that I'm invited too. They all seem to serve chicken.

I was at pack 133 on Tuesday and I mentioned the Council Volunteer Recognition Dinner to a few scouter's that were shooting the breeze. Her That Must Be Obeyed is the Chair. So I have to do my bit. One Scoutmaster said that he didn't like the Council Dinner but enjoyed the District dinner. I thought that this was a little odd as due to falling attendance we took the dinner off the calender and didn't have one last year and there are no plans for one this year.

I think that maybe I ought to ask around at the next Round Table and see what the real feeling of the District is. After all it was my idea not to hold the dinner and I'm feeling a twinge!!

Eamonn

"February is of course Blue and Gold month. I try to get to all the banquets that I'm invited too. They all seem to serve chicken."

Too bad you aren't in my district. At the last Blue & Gold that I attended as a Cub Scouter, we had a buffet chicken (of course), roast beef, smashed potatoes (with the skins mixed in), some sort of green veggies that I don't eat, salad, and lasagne for those who only eat pasta. We never saw the District Chair at any of our dinners :(.

we stopped having a district dinner several yrs ago and how hold "Just Desserts". Food is just desserts - everyone brings dessert to share. Entertainment is a skit that leads up to presentation of District Sparkplug Awards and District Awards of Merit. We hold it on roundtable night.

Ours is held in April. We will present training awards, Quality Unit Awards, The Quality District Award, Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Rountable Attendance Awards, recognize the various event chairs of the past year, and present the District Awards of Merit.

Haven't got a clue what they are serving yet.

Yes, our Dist. dinner is held the first weekend in Feb. We had a Masquerade theme this year with dancing after dinner, although not many people dance. I was very surprised to receive the Cubmaster of the Year award, and the Tall Pines award (Highest Dist. award). I was very honored. There are so many others that do more than I.

Sparkie

Belated thanks to purcelce, Laurie, and matua (I didnt do any surfing on Saturday or Sunday),

You could have knocked me over with a feather when they announced my name. I had just asked our SM what heck award is that? He responded with a dead-panned its a very prestigious award to which I replied May be, but Ive never heard of it. Ironic I suppose. Anyway as I made my way up to the podium it finally hit me -- thats why my wife was so insistent on attending this year. Sigh, despite my recent achievement I guess Im still just a typical male/husband ;)

The good news is we honored a Scout in the district for saving a boy from drowning. Also our unit commissioner received his arrow patch as well as a district award of merit (Ive mentioned before that this guy has a lot on his plate). In addition, a wood badge patrol mate also received the district award of merit. Last, but not least a friend will be receiving the Silver Beaver award next month. Lots of folks received the Outstanding Unit Scouter award, so Im a pretty common fellow, but Im in good company.

What purcelce should have mentioned was that the food and location were both excellent -- a vast improvement over last years fare. The lack of freezing rain this year was also appreciated. Anyway on the menu: green salad, rolls, au gratin potatoes, green bean almondine, choice of chicken, beef or both (Yes Eamonn, both). Dessert was a slice of your choice of a wide variety of pies -- there were even seconds available.

Now I know what some of you are thinking -- a buffet in the mid-west without the requisite mostaccioli or corn? How could it possibly be good? How could this happen? I cant explain it and I dont know who is responsible, but it was very good. ;) ;)

The location was also excellent -- a former church (probably 100+ yrs old) restored now to a banquet facility. By the way, its owned and operated by an Eagle Scout.

Good time, good atmosphere, and good friends.

(This message has been edited by ManyIrons)

Whoops! I was remiss in my earlier post (translation I didn't have the awards program in front of me), our very own purcelce received a few baubles of his own last Friday night. He was presented with his first commissioner's award -- the Arrowhead Honor, and also received the Boy Scout Leader Award.

So let's give a big hand to ol' CP

P.S. His Wood Badge jokes not withstanding, I understand that he'll be getting a "beading" of his own sometime in the next two years.