Four steps of Boy Scout advancement

Go to solution Solved by Chisos,

I had some older scouts helping some brand new scouts with the new Scout Rank requirements this weekend. Requirement 2b asks the scout to describe the four steps of Boy Scout advancement.  This stumped the older scouts and they could not find reference to them in the new handbook.  I looked over the handbook as well and could not find them.

From various literature for adult scouters I am familiar with them.  But it seems to me the handbook should reference them if it is a requirement.

Has anyone found them in the new handbook?

I miss the page references in the requirements in the last version of the handbook.

I miss the page references in the requirements in the last version of the handbook.

If there's no reference in the new scout's handbook (not even in the index), have the boy read about the patrol method, pick four things from there, move on.

BSA's lack of clarity is not your problem.

It's in the new handbook, pages 413-414.  Admittedly kind of hidden from the other Scout Rank stuff, which is in the first few pages.

@@Chisos, is it find-able via the index? If so, then at least the boys get an exercise in referencing.

So it is - thanks Chisos.

Not easy to find though.

You can find "Advancement" in the index.  There are quite a few pages listed.  It would take a long time looking at each page before you would find it.  A much longer time than the typical attention span of a Scout (or mine for that matter).

An index entry called "four steps of advancement" would have been better.  Page references on the requirement would be better yet.

It's in the new handbook, pages 413-414.  Admittedly kind of hidden from the other Scout Rank stuff, which is in the first few pages.

My son couldn't find it

So on my own I went to the Index

So it is - thanks Chisos.

Not easy to find though.

You can find "Advancement" in the index.  There are quite a few pages listed.  It would take a long time looking at each page before you would find it.  A much longer time than the typical attention span of a Scout (or mine for that matter).

An index entry called "four steps of advancement" would have been better.  Page references on the requirement would be better yet.

and I agree, it took me far too long to find it.

Then I had to creatively nudge my son without telling him.....

I was scratching my head as well when I was going through my sons new book while he was working on Scout Rank.  He said this one specifically he couldn't fine, and I honestly haven't had to chance to go back and look again.   THANKS