Yea the white sash a red arrow was a hard won honor. I get funny looks when I tell people I am prouder of my OA sash than my eagle badge. Any scout can earn 24 merit badges and do a project if he is willing to work at it. But when your fellow scouts called you an example of what they thought a scout should be...

• Upvote 3

Yea the white sash a red arrow was a hard won honor. I get funny looks when I tell people I am prouder of my OA sash than my eagle badge. Any scout can earn 24 merit badges and do a project if he is willing to work at it. But when your fellow scouts called you an example of what they thought a scout should be...

I sure wish that was the case around here.  Already I have heard two or three requests for troops to line up their elections and with no one signing up, (the requests were made by adults to adults) it makes one wonder how important, hard won, scout model, the sash means today to the boys.  It might mean a hard won honor to a lot of people, but not to all.  Two of the better Eagle scouts that have come through my troops were not Arrowmen.

Edited by Stosh

Back then? Sure! Now? Not likely.

I'd like to think that 'back then' (when I turned down a request to a dance for very rainy and cold ordeal weekend) was not so far removed from now.

:mellow:

I too lament the lack of interest in the OA. Back in the day, it was indeed an honor to get in, heck to even be eligible.  I was excited to be on the ballot, and couldn't wait to get in.

While my excitement died down since when I got in, the OA chapter didn't do anything, years later, I did get very involved with the OA.

So some of it has to do with how active the chapter and/or lodge is.

But talking to my son prior to and after my troop's OA election in December, one in which he was on the ballot, he could care less if he got in or not. 

I'd like to think that 'back then' (when I turned down a request to a dance for very rainy and cold ordeal weekend) was not so far removed from now.

:mellow:

I love camping. I love being outdoors. But if I were 15 and had the option to get my service hours close to home, play some PS4 on Friday night when I was done, take my girlfriend out Saturday night and still have time for some climbing on Sunday, I think I'd take that. The option is clearing brush 2.5 hours from home, in a sub-par council camp with lousy latrines and a total lack of camaraderie and atmosphere.

I love camping. I love being outdoors. But if I were 15 and had the option to get my service hours close to home, play some PS4 on Friday night when I was done, take my girlfriend out Saturday night and still have time for some climbing on Sunday, I think I'd take that. The option is clearing brush 2.5 hours from home, in a sub-par council camp with lousy latrines and a total lack of camaraderie and atmosphere.

I'm tracking re the girlfriend/date.   Priority 1 at that age!    In my case, I was in AK and though the camp was primitive, scouts and particularly OA members would show up to any event at camp, regardless of the weather or the work that awaited.   It was truly a unique place, and the camaraderie was second to none.

• Upvote 1