Yes, I have bigger issues. But you're not the folks to fix those. :ph34r:

I'm hoping that, however this plays out in my crew, others might be better prepared to handle it as their dual-registered youth turn 18.

I hear you.

We had a Scout turn 18 in January. He completed his Eagle stuff in December and it was submitted to national. We asked district and council if he should charter as a youth or adult; thinking that if we charter him as an adult it might somehow screw up the near-perfect BSA computer system and deny him his Eagle. Both district and council said (in writing) to charter as a youth.

[insert buzzer sound]

Wrong! He got spit back as being an untrained adult and we needed to register him as an adult. We contacted national to confirm and even contracted the Eagle review board to confirm. The confirmed (in writing), so we registered him as an adult so the charter could go through and he could continue through the Eagle process.

[insert buzzer sound]

Wrong again! When we contacted the review board to check why we hadn't heard about the status of this scout, we were told that he's ineligible since he's now an adult.  :mad:

A few phone calls and several forwarded emails later (the emails we had the review board send to confirm our course of action in this matter), the review board expedited his application and he became Eagle.

Epilogue: You'd think the BSA system would find a way to flag applications in process and save them from being locked out like that. It's a simple piece of code which I'd be happy to write and send to BSA.  :cool:
Edited by Krampus
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. Venturers  and Venturing Leaders need both the standard YPT that Cub and Boy Scout leaders take, as well as the Venturing YPT.   And the Venturers over 18 needing adult app and YPT started a fe

I'm not the biggest fan of BSA training, but there are orders of magnitude of difference between say IOLS and YPT.  You can complete YPT online, either Venturing or Boy Scout, in half an hour --- prob

@@qwazse, if you have to coach adults on how to take YPT, I'd suggest you have a bigger issue.

I admit, I hate doing YPT.  After doing it for registration multiple times, doing it again multiple times to work the various camps, even if YPT was current, because we needed to get the camp version, with extra stuff, even if I taught the camp version with the extra stuff and did it as training chair, I need to keep on doing it.

I wish in my case, it was only once every 2 years. :(

I hear you.

We had a Scout turn 18 in January. He completed his Eagle stuff in December and it was submitted to national. We asked district and council if he should charter as a youth or adult; thinking that if we charter him as an adult it might somehow screw up the near-perfect BSA computer system and deny him his Eagle. Both district and council said (in writing) to charter as a youth.

[insert buzzer sound]

Wrong! He got spit back as being an untrained adult and we needed to register him as an adult. We contacted national to confirm and even contracted the Eagle review board to confirm. The confirmed (in writing), so we registered him as an adult so the charter could go through and he could continue through the Eagle process.

[insert buzzer sound]

Wrong again! When we contacted the review board to check why we hadn't heard about the status of this scout, we were told that he's ineligible since he's now an adult.  :mad:

A few phone calls and several forwarded emails later (the emails we had the review board send to confirm our course of action in this matter), the review board expedited his application and he became Eagle.

Epilogue: You'd think the BSA system would find a way to flag applications in process and save them from being locked out like that. It's a simple piece of code which I'd be happy to write and send to BSA.  :cool:

The BSA system uses volunteers - mere humans who can and do make mistakes despite their training.   (We just had a B of R "postponed" when the candidate showed up in "old" (pre-2010 I think) trousers and a brand new shirt. ("Out of uniform").  Turns out the chair of the board had personal ideas that he felt trumped National "guidance" on B of Rs.  

The BSA system uses volunteers - mere humans who can and do make mistakes despite their training.   (We just had a B of R "postponed" when the candidate showed up in "old" (pre-2010 I think) trousers and a brand new shirt. ("Out of uniform").  Turns out the chair of the board had personal ideas that he felt trumped National "guidance" on B of Rs.  

But mere humans went to the moon, built space stations, summited Everest, went to the Marina Trench, etc. We are talking simple, simple code here. It is my no means rocket science.

BSA should know how long it takes to process recharters. BSA should know that Scouts will turn 18 during the time it takes to process recharters. BSA should know Eagle is the most important rank in Scouting. BSA should have a WELL ESTABLISHED process for dealing with how they manage the applications of those who turned 18 during recharter. Not buying "they are only human" excuse.

Even squirrels know winter comes each year. Let'f not assume BSA staff are not smarter than the lowly squirrel. ;)

But mere humans went to the moon, built space stations, summited Everest, went to the Marina Trench, etc. We are talking simple, simple code here. It is my no means rocket science.

BSA should know how long it takes to process recharters. BSA should know that Scouts will turn 18 during the time it takes to process recharters. BSA should know Eagle is the most important rank in Scouting. BSA should have a WELL ESTABLISHED process for dealing with how they manage the applications of those who turned 18 during recharter. Not buying "they are only human" excuse.

Even squirrels know winter comes each year. Let'f not assume BSA staff are not smarter than the lowly squirrel.  ;)

It's the human condition.  The "average" guy is better than half the population.   :confused:

And human rocket scientists at NASA confused metric with English measurements and BOOM!  Or do you own any shares in SpaceX?  :blink:

Many died on the way up or down Everest.  >250 thus far.   No one died here.  Just a screw up that should embarrass those who ignored the rules and made up their own "better" ones.

Even the simple can be difficult to obtain.  Patrol Method seems simple to me, but how many troops understand that a "troop is made up of patrols" rather than made up of Scouts -- or understand what those words means if they bother to read them in the current Handbook?.

And do I not see a council error (district acts on behalf of council by delegated authority in advancement matters) being related, not BSA?  

Not that BSA wins prizes for use of English, especially in the IT realm.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday a newly-young-adult venturer said "BSA has taken the fun out of being a young adult scouter."   I'd like to hear from others "in the trenches" with dual registered young adults. Maybe I'm just in a bubble of negativity.

FWIW this young man is "the go to guy" for instrumental back-up at his school musical. His older brothers are always welcome to drop by and pitch in there, nobody there asks them to fill out paperwork to serve along side these impressionable youth.

They simply don't have the patience for this sort of thing.

Is it BSA or the local Crew's program that is the problem.  A good adviser should be able to work around the BS part of BSA.

What a lovely platitude!

Examples, please? How about getting on the horn with the advisor of that reenactment crew of yours, ask him to get his young adults who might also wear both ASM and Crew participant hats, and relay what they think. Get them online to say how they've made peace the YP requirements.

This isn't a one-sided request. I intend to get some constructive feedback at our Area Summit this weekend. I'll let you all know what I learn.

Because what I think I really need is to show my young adults that Venturers across the country are sucking it up and getting it done.

What a lovely platitude!

Examples, please? How about getting on the horn with the advisor of that reenactment crew of yours, ask him to get his young adults who might also wear both ASM and Crew participant hats, and relay what they think. Get them online to say how they've made peace the YP requirements.

This isn't a one-sided request. I intend to get some constructive feedback at our Area Summit this weekend. I'll let you all know what I learn.

Because what I think I really need is to show my young adults that Venturers across the country are sucking it up and getting it done.

I did an orientation session for a new crew last week.  The most strenuous suggestion from the brainstorming was a hike at the local state park.  It does have some great trails and would be a nice opportunity for both rock climbing and hiking.  However, I tossed out the 100 mile NPS challenge for the North Country Trail, any one of the hundreds of miles of bike trails in the area, kayaking/canoeing from sandbar to whitewater. just to prime the pump.  I haven't heard back from them, I think they got overwhelmed at the myriad of potential opportunities out there to get involved in.  The Mrs. will be doing 3 major kayak trips this year and wants to do the 100 mile hike challenge as well.  With the hike challenge, we've decided to put off Isle Royal until fall when the crowds thin out.

lifes gonna hit these kids hard if they think taking 10 minutes to fill out an app and 30 minutes to take an online course is too much of a hassle and is taking the fun out of everything.   Or are we saying theres more to their complaint than that?