So, finally got my DE to find out why my crew's roster got pulled ...

Turns out my 18 year-old's only had Boy Scout YP (since they were serving as ASMs) and they needed Venturing YP.

And even more drop from the charter ....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. Venturers  and Venturing Leaders need both the standard YPT that Cub and Boy Scout leaders take, as well as the Venturing YPT.   And the Venturers over 18 needing adult app and YPT started a fe

I'm not the biggest fan of BSA training, but there are orders of magnitude of difference between say IOLS and YPT.  You can complete YPT online, either Venturing or Boy Scout, in half an hour --- prob

@@qwazse, if you have to coach adults on how to take YPT, I'd suggest you have a bigger issue.

Not Just any YPT. It's gotta be Venturing YPT!

They also have to complete BSA adult application. But I've skated by with one app if the boy is also serving in a troop.

Not Just any YPT. It's gotta be Venturing YPT!

They also have to complete BSA adult application. But I've skated by with one app if the boy is also serving in a troop.

I've always wondered about that since we don't have a crew, but only a troop. When our boys turn 18 and want to stick around, we complete an adult application and have them completed YPT. That's enough for the BSA. We introduce them to the boys as "Mr. (x)" and walk them through the adult's role in Boy Scouts.

@@qwazse, so in a crew, even though it runs through 21 people 18 or over need an adult application and adult Venture YPT?

Yes. Venturers  and Venturing Leaders need both the standard YPT that Cub and Boy Scout leaders take, as well as the Venturing YPT.

And the Venturers over 18 needing adult app and YPT started a few years back with the original membership standards change.( 2013 or 2014).

• Upvote 1

Yes. Venturers  and Venturing Leaders need both the standard YPT that Cub and Boy Scout leaders take, as well as the Venturing YPT.

And the Venturers over 18 needing adult app and YPT started a few years back with the original membership standards change.( 2013 or 2014).

A couple of places on the Internet say that change was effective March 1, 2015.  It does seem longer ago than that.  It was probably announced in 2014 but was effective in 2015.  It was a result of the change in membership standards for youth, but was not simultaneous with it.  I don't think the BSA ever officially said that that was the motivation for applying "adult" requirements to Venturing youth, but everybody knew it was.

On another note, our troop just found out the hard way about dropping charters for lack of YPT.  Apparently one of our "key 3" did not get around to taking it before the charter went in, and as a result our troop is not chartered as of March 1.  Hopefully that was cleared up this week but I do not know for sure yet.

Edited by NJCubScouter

I've always wondered about that since we don't have a crew, but only a troop. When our boys turn 18 and want to stick around, we complete an adult application and have them completed YPT. That's enough for the BSA. We introduce them to the boys as "Mr. (x)" and walk them through the adult's role in Boy Scouts.

@@qwazse, so in a crew, even though it runs through 21 people 18 or over need an adult application and adult Venture YPT?

As NJ, points out, this is a new rule for venturing participants as of last year. As a result 3/4 of my young adults in the crew concluded it was not worth the trouble. They can just hike and camp with young adults and whatever high school friends they choose without price of registration and be as many miles down the trail in the time they've taken the online training. The lawyering world is so out of touch with our youth that it's decimating us.

E94, while I was ASM and Advisor I took either training every two years and let the other one lapse. I told the DE that's what I did and said "Make it work or I'm out." I actually didn't transfer myself or Son #2 to our new troop's roster to save them this hassle (among others). Likewise I employ SMs/ASMs on crew activities without requiring them to be venturing trained because I want their heads in the game with material that might actually forestall death. If they took boy scout YPT, they'll do just fine in my crew.

Son #2 took the time for BSA YPT to ASM for me last year, took time out of his schedule for our church's YPT the week before last. ...  What do you think he'll say to venturing YPT when he extracts from the spring break wilderness trip with his college fellowship?

I'm asking the DE for a waiver.

On another note, our troop just found the hard way about dropping charters for lack of YPT.  Apparently one of our "key 3" did not get around to taking it before the charter went in, and as a result our troop is not chartered as of March 1.  Hopefully that was cleared up this week but I do not know for sure yet.

We have a training person who checks YPT and other training quarterly. They proactively send out reminders when people on the charter are 30-60 days prior to expiration. Anyone who lapses cannot attend ANY troop event until they re-certify. This has helped us keep folks up-to-date. Anyone without a current YPT does not get re-chartered. Council requires our YPT for anyone being re-chartered to be valid for 60 days post-charter submission (Jan 1st). This practice has avoided submitting anyone without a current YPT.

Maybe that will help.

I'm not the biggest fan of BSA training, but there are orders of magnitude of difference between say IOLS and YPT.  You can complete YPT online, either Venturing or Boy Scout, in half an hour --- probably less time than any of us spend reading or posting on here in any given week.  And you can easily do it at the same time you're doing something useful like watching college basketball 

• Upvote 1

I'm not the biggest fan of BSA training, but there are orders of magnitude of difference between say IOLS and YPT.  You can complete YPT online, either Venturing or Boy Scout, in half an hour --- probably less time than any of us spend reading or posting on here in any given week.  And you can easily do it at the same time you're doing something useful like watching college basketball 

Same could be said for Wood Badge.  :eek:  :cool:

I know how long it takes me to do it. And it takes me twice as long to coach someone else to do it, which I usually have to do for a couple of adults. All of a sudden, I'm missing a playoff game. So, now let's pretend I have venturers willing to do this AFTER THEY'VE ALREADY MISSED THE FIRST HALF OF THE GAME DOING BOY SCOUT YPT TRAINING. It's a non-starter.

In reality, there's no trading between YPT-redux and a b-ball game. The trade is between taking redundant training or making a few phone calls to grab some tarps, pull some steaks out of the freezer and meet in the woods, or on the shooting range, or lining up a climbing or whitewater guide.

I do not see why anyone would have a problem spending 30 minutes renewing their YPT, but the number of people (regardless of age) who find it difficult to find that half hour is distressingly large.  On the other hand I am not a representative sampling; I was a facilitator for YPT on the district level before everybody started doing it online.

I do not see why anyone would have a problem spending 30 minutes renewing their YPT, but the number of people (regardless of age) who find it difficult to find that half hour is distressingly large.  On the other hand I am not a representative sampling; I was a facilitator for YPT on the district level before everybody started doing it online.

You know the interesting things about YP trainers? They resulted in the course taking triple the time, but for that nominal fee of $5 ...

• They brought cookies and coffee.
  • You got out of the house and away from that screen.
  • They looked to see how many packs, troops, and crews were represented and tailored their presentation accordingly.
  • They inserted little facts about known incidents (the former camp director had some great ones)!
  • They did not ask you to take the course again just because you were in two different positions.

@@qwazse, if you have to coach adults on how to take YPT, I'd suggest you have a bigger issue. ;)

Yes, I have bigger issues. But you're not the folks to fix those. :ph34r:

I'm hoping that, however this plays out in my crew, others might be better prepared to handle it as their dual-registered youth turn 18.