Online Position Specific Training - How Long Does it Take?

Go to solution Solved by fred johnson,

I don't know, but I was told the following:

1) It is too long,

2) it is too repetitive

3) "I'd rather shoot myself with a shotgun than go through that again" or words tyo that affect from my DE who had to do all the online training to go to DE school.

If you sign into your my.scouting.org account one of the banners on the right will take you to the sign in for the e-learning center for Cub Scouts and Venturing.    Select the training you want (Various Den Leader or Cubmaster) and it will load it up for you, showing you each course.   They are broken into 4-16 min segments.  Typically 3 courses to get folks started and leading into a successful first meeting...

There are additional courses outside position specific training plans in the catalog.   

Richard

• Solution

If you sign into your my.scouting.org account one of the banners on the right will take you to the sign in for the e-learning center for Cub Scouts and Venturing.    Select the training you want (Various Den Leader or Cubmaster) and it will load it up for you, showing you each course.   They are broken into 4-16 min segments.  Typically 3 courses to get folks started and leading into a successful first meeting...

There are additional courses outside position specific training plans in the catalog.   

Richard

Yes and no.  It breaks it down into before 1st meeting, 1st 30 days and fully trained.  But within those categories there are many more.

• Before first meeting - Four courses, 44 minutes (ideals 13:35, Adv 3:45, Leading den mtgs 13:08, discipline 15:15)
  • First 30 days - Six coures, 45 minutes (purpose 6:08, methods 4:13, recog 9:41, how it owrks 11:28, Effective leadership 7:21, resources 6:30)
  • Position trained - Nine courses, 66 minutes (Parents 5:34, Uniform 13:39, Insignia 4:43, Uniform 3:39, awards 4:41, planning 14:35, Year round 12:38, Position 4:57, Roles 3:07)

Den leader is 19 courses, 155 minutes of training. 

It's intiminating for someone who just signed up blind at a join scouting night meeting.

• Upvote 2

I did all the online training for den leaders, cub masters, committee  member and chair....outdoor weather hazards and others.  I had no problems navigating through it. It may seem like a lot but nothing says you have to sit through it all in one setting. If you can't make it to a University of Scouting or any other live training event then this is the way to go. Usually there aren't too many people that sign up to be a leader at the first night of a recruiting event for new scouts. Although our last recruiting event we actually had two dads and a mother willing to do it. It shocked me that I had three people the first night that wanted to be Tiger leaders and none of them complained about all the online training. Guess they were more interested in the boys receiving a good program with trained leaders.

I did all the online training for den leaders, cub masters, committee  member and chair....outdoor weather hazards and others.  I had no problems navigating through it. It may seem like a lot but nothing says you have to sit through it all in one setting. If you can't make it to a University of Scouting or any other live training event then this is the way to go.

Good Lord, I'd MUCH rather sit in the comfort of my home office and take these modules than sit through an entire day of U of Scouting. I'll get more done in less time doing it online...and likely just as much info learned.

I would encourage anyone who has taken these online courses to take the "deeper" training and get basic first aid and WFA (from ARC), storm spotter training (from NOAA), firearms (from NRA) and boating safety (from USCG). Those classes are great. Yes, they take a long time but you get a level of training that you simply cannot get from U of Scouting or online. 

• Upvote 1

I did all the online training for den leaders, cub masters, committee  member and chair....outdoor weather hazards and others.  I had no problems navigating through it. It may seem like a lot but nothing says you have to sit through it all in one setting.

It shocked me that I had three people the first night that wanted to be Tiger leaders and none of them complained about all the online training. Guess they were more interested in the boys receiving a good program with trained leaders.

The question is, did you do this training before or after the change in the way on-line training is presented, which happened about4-6 months ago.

The old system was not bad.  10-15 minutes for fast start.  30 minutes for basic and another 30-45 minutes for the final training module. 

The new system has so many little modules, that the overall training time required of our volunteers has gone up significantly.  Whats worse, in my opinion, is that after the first module, the leader sees how many more are required, and decides it is not worth their time.

In my view, the only real advantage to the the new system is that you don't have to relearn repetitive training components when you move between positions (i.e. Cub Scout purposes is only gone over once and not repeated when moving from Tiger to Wolf den leader, etc.).

Now, when we get a leader willing to do all that without significant complaint - they are a keeper!