a questionable Leader

We have a leader in our Pack that I am concerned about. It seems to me and another leader that the person in question just wants the title of leader. It started last year whenever they approached me with concerns about another boy in the den. Granted the boy had some learing and behavioral issues, but instead of wanting to help with the troubled youth the leader went about constantly bad mouthing the boy and father(be it in private to us and other parents). Now the boy has dropped out. Now the leader is complainig about another boy from another den. Said boy is new to the pack this year. Apparently this boy also has some issues....he seems uniterested at times and sometimes acts up. Recently the leader I'm concerned about stated that they had a bad experience during popcorn sales with this boy.....he didn't want to participate and the other boys had to do all the work. Said leader stated they refused to do any future popcorn sales with this boy. I told the leader that as a leader you shouldn't give up on the boy you should work with him and encourage him.....to which they responded "I'm not his den leader he is in such and such den". I said that they are a leader in our Pack and should still offer help and encouragement. I was given a quick BS as a response. I have also had similar attitudes from this person in regards to leader training. When we recently had a new parent volunteer to be a committee member we told the new parent about all the online training they had to do. The troubled leader told the new leader that they didn't have to pay attention to the online training...to just keep clicking the mouse button. I spoke up and voiced my objection. I said to pay attention to the training and further said to them that if you just click the mouse away that your not hurting yourself that you are hurting our boys by not being a good leader that is properly trained. We have also had planned fund raising plans for the boys to sell in front of stores and for boys and parents to schedule times that they could sell...and this leader flat refuses to spend two hour shift. To me and two other leaders it seems like this troubled leader isn't supporting our decisions and as a leader they should support the Pack. Anyone have any input on dealing with this leader?

Bobcatbrown:  Welcome to our virtual crackerbarrel!    If you are not gluten intolerant, have a Ritz....

"It's for the boys".   Keep this firmly in front of you at all times. 

This man, (call him Carl), is he truly a "Registered Leader" in the Pack?  If so, he may not continue to be registered and be a Cub's Leader next Charter time!    Does he have a boy in the Pack?   Is the boy "perfect"?  I would talk to some other parents and get their  views on Carl's attitude.  Are they seeing the same as you?   

Next, decide if there is a "policy"  about Leaders Being Trained in the Pack, in the District, in the Council.  The whole idea about being "Trained" is to try and make sure everyone has the same set of  basic  "rules" and "resources" to fall back on.    If Carl has a hard time seeing this necessity, then the rest of the Pack leadership needs to gently remind him of the purpose of Scouting (as you implied and said: Encouraging Success,  following rules , helping Boys grow up  to be Good Men,  ...). 

One never knows the full dynamics of another's family life or past history.  You will never be able to explain Carl's attitude toward non-perfect boys or training requirements. You don't have to.    What you will need to do, is to encourage (there's that word again)  your other adults to "do the right thing", to help your Cubs enjoy their time in Scouting,  and by example and group pressure, help Carl to see the benefit of such. 

I remember a Staff Scouter at the National Jamboree who expressed aloud his frustration at some Scouts   who wandered into the Staff campsite and asked for some help. Water?  Directions?  He chastised them for not "being prepared".  I ignored him and gave them some water out of our jug and walked them back to the trail to point them in the right direction.   My colleague never acted that way again, at least in my sight.  He was still a "good Scout" and perhaps was tired past his limit that day. It happens.  Carl , in your case , can't use that excuse.   Perhaps your example can help him on his way.

Good Scouting to you! 

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 3

You don't say what position you hold in the Pack.  Unless you are the Committee Chair, Cubmaster or Chartered Organization Representative, this may not be your problem to deal with.  Just do the best you can in your registered position and keep setting a good example for the others.

• Upvote 1

My advice for you would be to talk to your Chartered Organization representative with your CM and CC, if they do not already know (or you are not one of them). From there voice your concern about the leader and ensure they understand everything that is going on. It is the responsibility of the CC and Chartered Organization representative to select leaders, as well as remove them if necessary. It will be a long hard battle, but in the long run it will be better for everyone. I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum! 

The IH or COR are the only ones that can remove a leader from their position.  Talk with them and them only.  Express your concerns and leave it at that. If your CO doesn't care about the quality of the program, you and your son might want to check out a Pack that does. 

Other than that, there's nothing more one can do except participate in a back-biting campaign against this guy.  I personally would avoid that.  If someone came to me and wanted me to be involved and they weren't heading toward the COR's house, I'd check my calendar to make sure I'm busy at that time.  Otherwise let them know you have already expressed your comments to the COR and let it go.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Exactly what Stosh states about removal.

You might also suggest taking them to the district round table, baloo, and other training opportunities.  They won't go alone but maybe they will with someone else.  Maybe that would help him see the light?  

Good luck and welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of how the man is behaving, I would also not like to work with a Scout who doesn't want to participate. 

As a leader, I am there to help teach the kids and teach them leadership skills. Not to force them to do something or try to treat behavioral issues. I am not trained as a child psychologist. Behavior is up to the parents.

I do run our popcorn sales and if I have a child who doesn't want to do anything, I send them home and they don't come back until they want to be there. Its not a babysitting service after all!

How about some one liners to use?

"Some scouts need scouting more than scouting needs them."

"I don't view any Cub Scout as being expendable."

"Our character is judged best not by what we do when things are easy, but how we act when things are difficult."

"A scout is kind."

"Children learn most from our example, if we view learning and following the rules with contempt, we can expect no different from our scouts."

"A scout is obedient.."

"Every scout deserves a trained leader."