New member saying 'Hi!"

Hello, I thought I'd make an introductory thread as it appears I can make only one post at this time.

I'm not new to scouting, I joined as a Cub Scout and finished my Eagle before going to college. Now that I've finished with college, I've come back into scouting and now am the Assistant Scoutmaster for our small troop. I'd like to see our troop grow beyond our current three or four scouts, but it is not easy.

I am glad I've found this resource. I am sure it will be very helpful as I'm also interested in scouting's history. Collecting old memorabilia from scouting's past is a bit of a side hobby I recently started.

Don't worry so much about quantity, go for quality.

I've been struggling for a couple of years now, just making the grade on 5 boys, currently have 2 active.  Must to my "dismay" I have 34 potential Webelos II cross overs this spring.  It might just be one of those, "Be careful what you wish for." kinds of things.

Welcome to the forum!

• Upvote 1

Welcome! Thanks for your service to the boys!

I've ASMed so long they made me a crew advisor, so here's the advise in a nutshell ...

Assist your SM as best you can. There's one way to make coffee ... Strong as love, black as death,

Get trained as much as you can. But don't be in a rush for Wood Badge.

Try not to act bored when the fire-starting demo at IOLS fails, that terrible instructor is a great council advancement chair.

Go to roundtable often. Go camping more often. On rare occasion use a tent.

Don't worry so much about quantity, go for quality.

I've been struggling for a couple of years now, just making the grade on 5 boys, currently have 2 active.  Must to my "dismay" I have 34 potential Webelos II cross overs this spring.  It might just be one of those, "Be careful what you wish for." kinds of things.

Welcome to the forum!

34?????????

Yes, I have the real nightmare of taking 3 NSP's to summer camp with only two older boys.

Reminds me of the time I drove a 66 passenger bus full of kids to a church youth gathering.  My other youth director kept order and I drove the bus.  :)  I survived that, I can survive 20+ newbies in scouting.  :)