An early leaflet (1910-1911?) - anyone has seen the same one?

I still think it was strange that world wide scouting got to 2 million scouts within 15 years of origin.  They must have had some "special" way of counting in foreign countries.  :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David Scott has been a regular contributor here for many years.  We've missed him recently.

I see that we have a debate going..yes that was me. I'm not writing anything currently but published a best-selling book on a century of BSA heroism last year for Michael S. Malone titled Running Towa

I am unable to date this old leaflet... I suppose that is from the very early years, because on the back side is specified the date (February, 10th) which makes me think that later only the year (1910

Thank you very much (once again) for the help, Mr. Scott!!

So, folks... it looks that the mystery has been revealed :)

I wonder if that's really David C. Scott, but assuming it is I told you he'd know. His book is pretty good and I'm sure his lengthy research came across this item. ;) You should read the quote book (see podcast). It's a fun read.

Yes, that is Mr. David C. Scott. I have contacted him on his e-mail address (found  on his official web site), and he was so kind to reply me on my e-mail and to write his messege here, too. He wrote a couple of interesting books, and I will look forward to read them.

@@Stosh - I don't know what to say... a lot of unusal facts and contradictions are connected to this paper. For example... if it is has been published in 1930-ies, or in 1940/50-ies, as CalicoPenn says, why someone will use info and standards (and a photo) which have been actual for a very limited time a decades before that?

That is like that I am now publishing an actual manual for the US army, and I use info from 1970-ies?? And also a photo from the Vietnam War?? In old uniforms?

If this paper (or cover) was printed in 1930-ies or later, a lot of almanacs and other sources have been available for the correct information... on the other side, I suppose that in that time some specifications and requirements, which have been actual for a very short time, have not been so easy available anymore?

Also, why to use an unusual emblem, which have been used only a several months 20-30 years before that? In the 1930-ies the actual emblem has been much easier available everywhery than a historic one (used only for a limited time in 1915.) :-/

Edited by fleep

... in this country a great organization which, for at least a decade. had been gathering force in small groups under various names. Incorporated, all these groups became an allied army under the name of Boy Scouts of America, a brigade of the greater army of the Boy Scouts of the World, whose enrollment is now over two million boys. Every one has heard of the Boy Scouts.

Comparatively few know what the name stands for.  New Yorkers, who last Memorial Day beheld three thousand boys from eight to fourteen years of age, armed with rifles. marching in the parade with members of the National Guard, may be forgiven for confusing the Boy Scouts with a militant organization of boys under the patronage of private capital.

If those New Yorkers were, as they should be, advocates of peace, they probably denounced the Boy Scout movement as , a  reactionary manifestation.  In point of fact. It is nothing of the kind. The Boy Scout movement has within a few years levied in our midst an army, It is true, an army which already numbers over half a million. This army extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and hundreds flock daily to Its standard. Its slogan Is, "Be Prepared." Be prepared for what? For War? Nothing of the sort. Be prepared for service to mankind!   And Is this army made up of embryo soldiers? Not at all. It Is made up of Just boys. - Boys twelve to eighteen years old.  Rich boys, poor boys; boys black, white and yellow; Protestant boys and Roman Catholic boys and Hebrew boys; nice boys and bad boys; boys born in this "Land of the free, and home of the brave," and boys born In other and quite different lands. In fact, any and every old kind of a boy may, If he can pass the test and will take the oath, become a member of this great army, the Boy Scouts of America.

In  order to pass these tests the candidate must have an elementary  knowledge  of first aid to the injured, a like knowledge of semaphore, Myer or Morse alphabet, track half a mile in twenty, five minutes,  cover a mile in twelve minutes at "scouts' pace," lay and light a fire with not more than two matches, cook ' a quarter of a pound of meat and two potatoes  earn at least  one dollar and deposit it in a savings bank, and know the sixteen principal points of the compass.

​Harrisburg Telegraph, September 12, 1911  "BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, A MIGHTY ARMY FOR GOOD, NOT FOR WAR BUT TO MAKE THE BOY A BETTER MAN"

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1

Yes, that is Mr. David C. Scott. I have contacted him on his e-mail address (found  on his official web site), and he was so kind to reply me on my e-mail and to write his messege here, too.

I've read his last two. Good reads. The one quoted above I liked the best so far.

I see that we have a debate going..yes that was me. I'm not writing anything currently but published a best-selling book on a century of BSA heroism last year for Michael S. Malone titled Running Toward Danger. It should be in your local Scout Shop as the National Supply Division is distributing it along with Amazon. Else, I'm off to hear Dr. Julie Seton (the granddaughter of Ernest Thompson Seton) at the national Scouting Museum.

David C. Scott

• Upvote 2

So do we know exaclty what this is?

Unless someone comes forward with another printing attached to at least a few more pages (or even the lowly binding), we may not ever know.

I have a 9 11/16 x 11/15/16 size, six page, folded and stapled on the left, promo piece for The American Boy Scouts ("Plays and Pastimes")[We would say "play" today rather than "plays.]  C.H.Lawrence '12

Wonder if yours is the same sort of thing.