Patrol names - who picks them?

Well if it were the Izod patrol. There was no love lost between me (grunge before they called it that) and yuppie wannabes back in the day ...

So, like I concluded in my previous post: If your son thinks this will be emblematic of how the patrol operates, then he'll start a new patrol soon enough.

This is where an SM guides a boy through to the heart of the matter. If it's a patch name, but his buddies are stand-up guys, get over it. If they have rough edges, help him point that out to the boys in ways that helps them do better next time. If these guys are keeping him on the outside, help him find guys who will want him in their circle.

Sometimes an SPL is mature enough to guide a boy. Sometimes not. So, you may give the SM a "heads up" and make it clear that you don't intend to bring up every little thing, but since this simmered for more than a week, you thought he ought to know.

Just curious... what sort of patrol names do you tend to get your side of the pond?

With us nearly every troop uses animals. You see a few with a different theme, I've heard of rivers and mountain ranges, but the overwhelming majority use animals, so common that there is one range of patrol badges for animals and another range for everything else.

When it comes to patrol operations:

1) They can pick and change their names at any time.

2) They can pick and change their leadership at any time.

3) They can pick and change their patrol membership at any time.

4) If they have 6 boys they can start a patrol of their own.

5) New scouts can have their own patrol or join an existing one, THEIR choice

6) No adult can interfere in any of the structure and operation of the patrol.

Just curious... what sort of patrol names do you tend to get your side of the pond?

With us nearly every troop uses animals. You see a few with a different theme, I've heard of rivers and mountain ranges, but the overwhelming majority use animals, so common that there is one range of patrol badges for animals and another range for everything else.

You  name it, they will create a patch for it.

Originally the patrols were named after birds and animals. But nowadays, if you can't find it, they will create a patch design. There is even a T.A.R.D.I.S. Patrol patch.

yeah, it seems like there's a lot of atomic this, ninja that

atomic taco

ninja bacon

cyber duck

are the active patrols in our troop

Growing up, we had established patrols, so when you joined the troop and placed in a patrol, you may not have a choice in the matter. Twice a year we were able to switch patrols, start a new one if needed, elect PLs etc.

Usually we stuck with the troop's original names. When the patrol ceased to exist, the flag was "retired" and brought back when needed. That's what happened when I became PL, one fo the original patrols was brought back and we were given their flag, patches, etc. HOWEVER we didn't like the name, and wanted to change. Only "restriction" was from the SPL: had to be a bird "Birds of a Feather flock together." Also he stated when we changed the name, it would be a brand new patrol, with no history, flag, etc.

We were cool with it, and changed.

At least you can remember the names of the active patrols in your troop..... I cannot. 

HA.... well now I've got to admit, there's one other but I can't for the life of me come up with the name of it.  i could look it up, but where's the fun in that?!?

Growing up, we had established patrols, so when you joined the troop and placed in a patrol, you may not have a choice in the matter. Twice a year we were able to switch patrols, start a new one if needed, elect PLs etc.

Usually we stuck with the troop's original names. When the patrol ceased to exist, the flag was "retired" and brought back when needed. That's what happened when I became PL, one fo the original patrols was brought back and we were given their flag, patches, etc. HOWEVER we didn't like the name, and wanted to change. Only "restriction" was from the SPL: had to be a bird "Birds of a Feather flock together." Also he stated when we changed the name, it would be a brand new patrol, with no history, flag, etc.

We were cool with it, and changed.

as I'm thinking about it now, this approach (having standard standing names... not the assigning thing) makes some sense because it kinda takes the emphasis off.... an "is what it is" kinda thing...

BUT

it would likely only work well with more standard names like we had in the old days like basic animals, and none of this eclectic stuff  they come up with

Happened once in out unit years ago. The PLC made a decision that all patrol name changes will be done by unanimous consent. You'd be surprised how quickly boys can find common ground when EVERYONE has to like the name, patch, etc. This approach built patrol spirit, taught them to compromise. 

Nails the matter.

Solves the problem.

Happened once in out unit years ago. The PLC made a decision that all patrol name changes will be done by unanimous consent. You'd be surprised how quickly boys can find common ground when EVERYONE has to like the name, patch, etc. This approach built patrol spirit, taught them to compromise. 

Ooooh, I can see it now, In a theater near you the gripping drama of 8 Angry Boys!

(How totally un-American according to some... :)  )

Ooooh, I can see it now, In a theater near you the gripping drama of 8 Angry Boys!

(How totally un-American according to some... :)  )

Oddly enough it was the opposite. They'd sit around and come up with something everyone liked. The longest I've ever seen this go was when some younger scouts wanted to get rid of a name considered "historic" and "epic" by the older scouts. Once told the origin of the historic name the younger scouts bought in to the mystique and kept the name.

When it is all said and done, they have a budget (for patches and new flag). They can elect to spend the money on that OR on dessert at the next meeting/camp out, OR on a patrol event of their choosing. Funny how when you toss money and other stuff in the equation the whole issue of a name becomes not important.

Wish real politics was like this. 

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough it was the opposite. They'd sit around and come up with something everyone liked. The longest I've ever seen this go was when some younger scouts wanted to get rid of a name considered "historic" and "epic" by the older scouts. Once told the origin of the historic name the younger scouts bought in to the mystique and kept the name.

When it is all said and done, they have a budget (for patches and new flag). They can elect to spend the money on that OR on dessert at the next meeting/camp out, OR on a patrol event of their choosing. Funny how when you toss money and other stuff in the equation the whole issue of a name becomes not important.

Wish real politics was like this. 

It is, it's called campaign funds and PAC's, but they've gotten so good at it they can budget beyond their means and still have the dessert.....

Edited by Stosh

I don't even remember the name my son's first patrol chose (something involving "turkeys" I believe), but I do remember being very disappointed. The name was silly and juvenile, not a name befitting the proud traditions of the BSA, or so I thought.   And I was surprised when the leaders-a particularly sober bunch- didn't blink an eye. Surely they were not going to not allow the patrol to adopt that ridiculous name. But eventually I got it. It was the first small act of empowerment, the first small promise kept. I was to learn a lot more lessons like that.

• Upvote 1