Having to get re-certified every 2 years in order to teach archery was the beginning of the end for me.  It ain't like the bow and arrow are evolving that fast...

Add in CPR and WRFA to that list. CPR has changed only slightly. WRFA the same. I could see every 4 years or more, but every two? It is a money maker.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did ja know that people can get college credit for life experience?  Just sayin'

Really?  Get back to us next year and share what you've learned.   In my experience; 5% of training is useful information (being generous here), 45% is a good ole boy fluffing his feathers, and 50%

My cousin has a guy like this in his unit. Recon Marine, sniper, etc. Had to get him certified as an RSO. Showed up at the NRA training, showed them his military ID, discussed his qualifications, had

Add in CPR and WRFA to that list. CPR has changed only slightly. WRFA the same. I could see every 4 years or more, but every two? It is a money maker.

Plus, BSA guard, COPE/climbing, etc ... some ASMs/Advisors are very busy getting trained in what might forestall death. They have precious little patience for "fluff" training.

A training coordinator needs to get to know his/her audience and accept that some guys are gonna have to be brought in by stealth, others are gonna have to be rubber-stamped to make up for some IT snafu, others are on the way out the door -- so don't bother. Deal with those (or write them off) and a quick phone call to the rest once a year is the best you can do, and probably more than anyone else has ever done.

Now I can't comment on WFA since I do not teach it.  But I can comment on CPR since I do. And I bet the stats are similar hence the 2 years cycles for WFA.

There are studies that show that folks who do not practice CPR on a regular basis do lose the skill. While I work with folks who could probably teach the class better than me since they use the skills regularly, i.e. my emergency room and ICU coworkers,  there are some folks who I am glad take it every two years to refresh their skills. Those are the support staff, i.e. maintenance, environmental services, IT, etc.

Standard First Aid is the same way, but I bet if it was more hands one people would remember it better. Sitting and watching a video is not real conducive to learning IMHO.

And it seems as if everything is going to 2 year cycles.  I teach multiple courses, and every 2 years I have to go through some sort of recert process. Except CPR.  I got recertified last year, and had to get recertified with the new science this year. My other certs are the same.

Really?  Get back to us next year and share what you've learned.

In my experience; 5% of training is useful information (being generous here), 45% is a good ole boy fluffing his feathers, and 50% is BSA playing CYA for their lawyers.

Having to get re-certified every 2 years in order to teach archery was the beginning of the end for me.  It ain't like the bow and arrow are evolving that fast...

I sympathize with your experience, which has not been mine,

• Upvote 1

And it seems as if everything is going to 2 year cycles.  I teach multiple courses, and every 2 years I have to go through some sort of recert process. Except CPR.  I got recertified last year, and had to get recertified with the new science this year. My other certs are the same.

What has changed in the application of CPR since 2014?

I've taken WFA three times; nothing has changed. 

I teach basic FA for the ARC and little has changed in the last 5 years.

I admit not much.  Compression rate is 100-120/ minute now, and using a cell phone and leaving it on speaker are the two I remember from my instructor update/recert a few months back. I know the BLS for Healthcare providers training has been updated with 2 types of training videos, prehosptial and hospital. I personally like the prehosptial because it covers what will be seen in the real world, and has a greater emphasis on that aspect. Whereas the hospital one goes over real work scenarios briefly.

First aid I haven't seen yet; new books and materials come out latter in the year.  And I don't have a copy of the dull updates in front of me at the moment.

But trust me, and you've probably seen it too teaching, those who don't practice on a regular basis will have some issues. Heck I screwed up on the update. I was doing 2 man child CPR, and forgot that the dummy was suppose to be a child. I kept doing one man until my partner reminded me it's a child. :o

• Upvote 1

There's got to be a compromise between paying for a recert and practicing your training. Spending $150 every two years and taking another weekend out of your schedule shouldn't be mandatory; especially for someone who practices a ton. Maybe an online test where you need 90-95% to PSA to avoid a recert?

• Upvote 1

There's got to be a compromise between paying for a recert and practicing your training. Spending $150 every two years and taking another weekend out of your schedule shouldn't be mandatory; especially for someone who practices a ton. Maybe an online test where you need 90-95% to PSA to avoid a recert?

Maybe a 4 hour refresher for WFA (only do a few scenarios, rather than instruction). 

• Upvote 1

It's been a long time since I took EMT training, but after the initial cost of the class, the national certification was maintained by attending a certain amount of free continuing education classes put on by the local hospitals, schools and ambulance services.  I kept that up for 15 years at no cost, just an hour or so a month with updates and practice sessions to keep one's skills up-to-date.

I can't imagine why councils couldn't adopt a similar program instead of the expensive hoops they have their volunteers jumping through.

If I had to pay for a bi-annual re-attendance of SM training, I would have quit many years ago.

I am an ASM chartered as a committe member.  I have not done the O of IOL.  As someone mentioned the cost in time is steep.  I have three kids.  It is hard enough to devote a weekend to just the boy (forsaking whatever my daughters have on the calendar) when I go on a troop outing.  I am for sure not going to go on a wholly seperte outing w/o any of them.  That is if the one or two times the council holds the training doesnt fall on a big weekend of events (our council seems to always schedule on prom/homecoming/graduation or other highly scheduled weekends). 

What is truly aggravating is we have several council certified IOLS instructors who could teach the course to those in the troop who need it in conjunction with a troop campout so I could do it while out with my son, but no, the council wont go along with that.

so no, I dont see IOLS in my future.  I would be happy to do it and I reckon I would learn some useful stuff, but the council (or BSA) has to recognize I am a volunteer, and Scouting--especially as an adult, is not the center of my world and it is going to have to conviently fit into a pretty packed schedule

What is truly aggravating is we have several council certified IOLS instructors who could teach the course to those in the troop who need it in conjunction with a troop campout so I could do it while out with my son, but no, the council wont go along with that.

Have you actually heard this being proposed at a district or council level. To be fair, district and council get a lot of blame for things they never heard. You present a good idea, but has that idea actually been seriously proposed. You know, IOLS instructors (I was one) have personal lives also. Training a different troop each weekend is not really good for family time either. 

I like the idea, just need to figure out how to give it a try. My experience is Council it open to new ideas, but rarely do new ideas go very far because they have unforeseen challenges of their own.

Barry