• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did ja know that people can get college credit for life experience?  Just sayin'

Really?  Get back to us next year and share what you've learned.   In my experience; 5% of training is useful information (being generous here), 45% is a good ole boy fluffing his feathers, and 50%

My cousin has a guy like this in his unit. Recon Marine, sniper, etc. Had to get him certified as an RSO. Showed up at the NRA training, showed them his military ID, discussed his qualifications, had

Wanna make sure 100% get trained 100%, pay 100% of the Cost for them..

I don't pay to volunteer

Exactly. We do that for all of our leaders.

Edited by Krampus

Exactly. We do that for all of our leaders.

We must be suckers in Steeler country. I've paid every dime for my training. Just like union dues. 8)

If I wasn't paying (i.e, teaching) I paid by following up with a coffee with any students in my course.

Tahawk,

You should have seen the original version of that statement!  Seriously, the national training committee posted  on FB how they would not accept older basic training for JTE and the "trained strip," and that folks would need to redo basic training every time the course changed. It caused a storm of protest. Thankfully after a week or so, they came back with the statement you quoted.

Tahawk,

You should have seen the original version of that statement!  Seriously, the national training committee posted  on FB how they would not accept older basic training for JTE and the "trained strip," and that folks would need to redo basic training every time the course changed. It caused a storm of protest. Thankfully after a week or so, they came back with the statement you quoted.

Hmmmm, isn't that the case with reality especially WB?  There seems to be a lot of long looks down one's nose at those WBer's that haven't taken the new program.  For 10 years I taught Webelos Overnight, I've been SM on SM Fundamentals many times, I have my beads and because all my training is "old" stuff I haven't been asked to be on staff (including U of Scouting) for the past 15+ years.. With that being said, there is a good side to this in spite of the prejudice..

We must be suckers in Steeler country. I've paid every dime for my training. Just like union dues. 8)

If I wasn't paying (i.e, teaching) I paid by following up with a coffee with any students in my course.

It wasn't always that way in my unit. The adult leaders took the time one year to total up all the time and money that goes un-reimbursed for the leaders to remain trained and active in the unit. The result was staggering. It was simply noted in an SM report to the TC one month and they passed a motion to reimburse the leaders for training.

Summer camp fees are also reimbursed for up to four leaders. High adventure is not UNLESS the Scouter going does not have a kid in the mix AND is going to meet the leadership depth or WFA requirement. The boys fund raise to cover this.

We pay for basic leader training, for scouts and scouters; the costs for the courses are fairly minimal.  We pay half the cost of NYLT and Woodbadge.  We use some of the money we receive from our CO for this purpose rather than having the boys' or families' fundraising and fees pay for it.

The largest cost for adults is actually the time not the money.

In terms of IOLS specifically, I think they should move it into the unit to provide and certify the training.  It really is not very high skill level stuff if you have any outdoor experience at all, and even without outdoor experience for most adults there are some chunks of it that you know as well as anyone.  If we did it at the unit level it could work the way it works for the scouts: already have the skill then demonstrate it and you're signed off; for everything else: do it in blocks, over time, on campouts, as just an integrated part of your program.

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Upvote 1

when I Joined in August as the Tiger Den leader , our packs old cubmaster told me I needed to do the youth protection training . He never mentioned any other training. I found out about training from the scout store . I have done a lot of the online training course . now that I know about them looking into all . 

when I Joined in August as the Tiger Den leader , our packs old cubmaster told me I needed to do the youth protection training . He never mentioned any other training. I found out about training from the scout store . I have done a lot of the online training course . now that I know about them looking into all .

It usually happens that way. Could you imagine how many people would turn down a leadership roles le if they knew how much training there was? ;)

Frankly, I did it for my kids. Just like being a coach, I took k courses and read up because I wanted to do my best for them.

In terms of IOLS specifically, I think they should move it into the unit to provide and certify the training.  It really is not very high skill level stuff if you have any outdoor experience at all, and even without outdoor experience for most adults there are some chunks of it that you know as well as anyone.  If we did it at the unit level it could work the way it works for the scouts: already have the skill then demonstrate it and you're signed off; for everything else: do it in blocks, over time, on campouts, as just an integrated part of your program.

A few years back, between when I left as a DE and I came back as the district training chair,  the training chair did just that: IOLS done at the unit level.  Long story short, it was a disaster. No consistency in training as each unit did their own thing, and some units pencil whipped the training. Someone put a stop to it, but the results lingered.  I staffed a BALOO course in conjunction with an IOLS weekend, the IOLS SM cut the training really short, and they spent most of the time around the campfire telling  stories. When I asked him about the training, I was told that was how they did it when he was trained with the troop. Another time after I stepped down as training chair, one of the folks who was trained during this time was asked to staff the course. He was shocked to see what was supposed to have been covered when he took the course. He too said a lot was not covered by his troop's trainer.

My adult training program is what is required by BSA to insure their position, i.e. YPT, etc.

Then my "real" training begins.  It consists of 2 chairs, one for them, one for me.  We sit get a coffee, tea, soda, whatever and sit and watch the boys.  I have that person do a running commentary on what they see and I give them feedback on what they don't see.  I ask what they would do differently than what the boys are deciding and if the boys asked what they would say, how they would say it and when they would say it.

After the adults are "trained" in observing and being prepared to support the boys, I do the same thing with the PL's one at a time.  APL takes over and the PL and I go through the same process.

I then suggest to the PL's they try the process with their APL's and others in the patrol as they see fit.

It's really surprising how much more people "see" when they are not neck deep in the process.

A few years back, between when I left as a DE and I came back as the district training chair,  the training chair did just that: IOLS done at the unit level.  Long story short, it was a disaster. No consistency in training as each unit did their own thing, and some units pencil whipped the training. Someone put a stop to it, but the results lingered.  I staffed a BALOO course in conjunction with an IOLS weekend, the IOLS SM cut the training really short, and they spent most of the time around the campfire telling  stories. When I asked him about the training, I was told that was how they did it when he was trained with the troop. Another time after I stepped down as training chair, one of the folks who was trained during this time was asked to staff the course. He was shocked to see what was supposed to have been covered when he took the course. He too said a lot was not covered by his troop's trainer.

Yep, this is a huge problem with units when they don't have the proper examples to guide them. It can also be a problem when the Districts and Counsels set bad examples of policies and activities.

Our troop does adult and scout training different than an another troop, much less the District and Council. I learned quickly as a volunteer for District and Council that I couldn't go around teaching our specific Troop courses as the general District or Council courses because most units are not like ours in the details, especially the newer units with adults who don't have a lot of experience. BSA published courses are the best starting places for troops looking to start youth leadership training. Then they can modify the syllabus or even start their own style of training once they understand the objectives and specific requirements for their program.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

Wanna make sure 100% get trained 100%,  pay 100% of the Cost for them..

I don't pay to volunteer

our pack had that as a long standing practice

adults didn't pay dues, and were eligible to reimbursements for any and all expenses (except maybe uniforms).... although most folks didn't bother.... with stuff like the CO's required background check, books, and all sorts of little things out of their own pockets.

The BSA is pretty clear in what is expected. I was in the impression that these guidelines were to insure that the Scouts have a fun productive experience. This can only happen if all our leaders are trained. 

Really?  Get back to us next year and share what you've learned.

In my experience; 5% of training is useful information (being generous here), 45% is a good ole boy fluffing his feathers, and 50% is BSA playing CYA for their lawyers.

Having to get re-certified every 2 years in order to teach archery was the beginning of the end for me.  It ain't like the bow and arrow are evolving that fast...

• Upvote 2