Movies worth watching (with Scouts?)

I came back to the Scouter to look for movies to satisfy (1)   Satisfy Merit Badge Requirements  (American Heritage ,   Citizenship in Community,  Movie Making (no requirement to watch a movie?? )

(2)    Suitable for "lock in" or Cabin Camping viewing,   (3)  Just because there really are movies worth watching.   

Great list of  movies mentioning/about Scouting:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting_in_popular_culture

Boys Life list of 100 Boy Movies (I like the notation: "some suggestions will require parental guidance"):  http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/funstuff/18651/100-movies-for-boys/

Scouter dot com :  http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/10805-movie-ideas-for-american-heritage/

Did not see "The Martian" listed, or "The Life of Emile Zola"  or  " Lincoln"

Any more out there?  

On a 3 hour long coach ride we watched The Hunt for Red October, went down an absolute storm.

I've always thought The Burbs might go down well but did wonder if is is a bit dated for today's generation? (I have tears run down my face with laughter every time I watch it!)

On a challenge the scouts lost to the adults in a blind cooking competition at camp. The stake was selecting the first movie on the way back from summer camp. The entire bus complained when Casablanca started. By the time Sydney Greenstreet was shown in the Blue Parrot the bus was intently watching. After it was done they wanted to watch it again. Go figure.

• Upvote 2

The Martian is brand new, so its unlikely to appear on many lists yet, but i think it is really excellent.  It is rated PG-13 for language, but it has lots of really good examples of American heroism.  I just love it, and before the end, I felt like the United States really had sent astronauts to Mars. :-)

Films of the classics of literature that were identified by the BSA during the last century (Every Boy's Library) would do well.  The books themselves are far better than what Hollywood could ever produce, but I don't think one is going to get the boys to read anything.

The Martian is brand new, so its unlikely to appear on many lists yet, but i think it is really excellent.  It is rated PG-13 for language, but it has lots of really good examples of American heroism.  I just love it, and before the end, I felt like the United States really had sent astronauts to Mars. :-)

Most films that have this issue (Raiders is one of them), you can edit out the bad stuff on your own and save them to digital for showing to Scouts.

We always pre-release our movie schedule just in case a mom has an issue. Had one parent who forbade her kids from watching Harry Potter (magic was a no no as being anti Christian), but some how Star Wars was okay (despite Anakin being immaculately conceived and the prolific use of the force/magic).

Edited by Krampus

Most films that have this issue (Raiders is one of them), you can edit out the bad stuff on your own and save them to digital for showing to Scouts.

We always pre-release our movie schedule just in case a mom has an issue. Had one parent who forbade her kids from watching Harry Potter (magic was a no no as being anti Christian), but some how Star Wars was okay (despite Anakin being immaculately conceived and the prolific use of the force/magic).

I'm not sure if Anakin was immaculately conceived, more like Lucas was bumbling through the script and forgot to mention a father and what happened to him.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sentinel947

I'm not sure if Anakin was immaculately conceived, more like Lucas was bumbling through the script and forgot to mention a father and what happened to him.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, don't get me started on SW 1-3 or the last one. ;)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, don't get me started on SW 1-3 or the last one. ;)

Midi-Cholorians.... :p 

I was entertained with the 7th movie. Wasn't he best movie ever, but it was fun. 

I think part of the badge is to get them to watch movies they may not watch otherwise. 

In response to the OP: Another good one is "Remember the Titans."  A little more violent, (It technically has a PG rating,, but that was because the modern ratings weren't in place yet.) is "Glory."  

Whatever movie you watch, might I recommend you PREVIEW the WHOLE movie for situational issues and language. Some of the most mundane movies you may want to watch might have the f-bomb, s-bomb or suggestive scene you won't want your 11-13 year olds seeing (e.g. Transformers). 

• Upvote 1