How long is too long to wait for Board of Review

Oddly, no one has ever come to me and complained. In fact, when I have an 11 year old show me his planner and pencil me in for his SMC in two weeks I take pride in that. He's living the Scout Law. He's courteous of our time. He's obedient in following a schedule. I've done my job, even though you somehow don't think so.

Me think you protest to much. I keep saying I don't care how you plan your conferences and BORS and you are still being defensive. I also don't care how many adults it takes to support your program, just understand that other programs are different.

Barry

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's always surprising to see people's reactions when they find out that what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Right but then you make statements like the one below which seem to throw those folks who don't use the on demand method under the bus. No?        

Some of us have small enough troop to afford the luxury of dropping everything and doing an on-the-spot SMC and if enough parents hung around the meeting might be able to throw together a last minute

Wasn't Scouts on BOR's pretty commonplace in the early BSA? Why did they go away from that? 

My understanding is that Scouts on BORs was part of the Improved Scouting Program that came about in 1972, and is one of the 3 things I think ISP got right ( Skill Awards and  the Leadership Corps being the other two).  Scouts on BORs went away in 1989, but some troops didn't get the memo.  I was sitting on BORs up until 18.

I don't know how it was suppose to work, but with my troop you had to be either a member of the PLC or Leadership Corps to sit on a BOR for the T-2-1 ranks. PLs could not sit on a BOR from a member of their own patrol.  SPL would sit in on PLs BORs.

I know some think this would be unfair, Scouts would go easy, or the opposite extreme, scouts would be extremely hard.  AllI can say is that the first time I sat on a BOR, it was completely unexpected. I asked only 1 question because I didn't know what the heck I was doing.  Afterwards, I talked to the CC who also was on the BOR with me and the SPL.  Nop  problems afterwards.

I guess I don't see this as something to get all worked up about.  I get my SM thing done, a couple of requirements signed off and the biggy scheduled thing is the BOR and I don't have to worry about that because I'm not involved.  It's a bit like the MB blue cards.  I sign off on them and forget about it, it's the boys responsibility.  I took heat on the forum for it, but I do the same thing for the Eagle projects.  The boys have enough hoops to jump through.  If it was an adult needing to jump through hoops, I wouldn't stand in his way, why would I do it to a boy?

I agree with your statements.  Scouts have plenty of hoops to jump.  No need to add complexity.  ... wow ... I agree with Stosh.  ... long week.

• Upvote 1

Me think you protest to much. I keep saying I don't care how you plan your conferences and BORS and you are still being defensive. I also don't care how many adults it takes to support your program, just understand that other programs are different.

Barry

If you read what I have written you'd see that I acknowledge each program is different. I remain dumbfounded that folks still bang the drum of "if you're not doing on demand you're doing it wrong", that's all.

Some of us have small enough troop to afford the luxury of dropping everything and doing an on-the-spot SMC and if enough parents hung around the meeting might be able to throw together a last minute BOR, but that's not something a larger unit would be able to pull off gracefully.

I really get tired of the judgments of the different ways of doing things here on the forum.  If everyone were to toss in what they are doing and leave the judgmentalsm out of it, it would make life easier for those needing ideas to pick and choose the different options off the buffet table without having to worry about whether the chicken was better than the fish.

• Upvote 2