Based  only on experience, at least from 1954 - 1967, there was leadership training to be run by SM and SPL in the troop; one day district level leadership training, and a one week (really five-day) leadership course put on by Council.  The training materials for the district and council-level courses were primarily based on active applications of the information from Bill's 1950 edition of the Handbook for Patrol Leaders.  Of course, we thought Bill knew his stuff, not understanding that he was pumping out toe fungus and week-old fish.

Terrible staff overcomes even prime training material, and many here seem to have been "bitten" when young by terrible staff.  My SM , in an unusual behavior for him, responded to complains about one course by saying the guy in charge "Can make kids hate chocolate."

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Do or do not" = Yoda =   "To be or not to  be"  = Shakespeare =   " Do be do be do "  = Sinatra =

Stosh, I enjoyed reading your excellent post, and concur wholeheartedly with your points.  I felt the need to highlight this one sentence.   Indeed, many adults in scouting today aren't leaders.   I

Wow, it really must have been part of the fabric of scouting. I guess there's been a lot of lost knowledge. That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for when I took WB.