Potential Webelo-ree Coordinator

@Stosh

This would be for the Webelo-ree, would I make groups of 8 to make a full patrol at the Webelo-ree?

Sure, why not?  Isn't the goal of Webelos not just AOL, but getting the boys oriented to a new way of doing things in scouting?  Adult led dens moving on into boy led patrols?

On transitioning; I am the Cubmaster for my son's pack, and I am hope that my WDL knows how to transition the boys over. However, I cannot be sure.

Time for a cup of coffee.  After all, you are the CM and you have a son involved in the transition.  If one is taking care of their boys, asking questions is not out of line.  Be sure to pick up the tab for the coffee.

Is there anything I can do to ensure the boys are transitioned properly?

If the WDL doesn't have an AWDL, be one for him.  These kinds of things run smoother than just one person getting stuck and trying to do their best.   As CM you have all the right in the world to go to any of your DL's and ask if there is anything you can do to help them be successful.  That's a sure sign of a good leader.  If the WDL leaves the door open a crack, you can begin helping directly.  Otherwise, you can also "volunteer" in your position as a parent.  Either way, just make sure he's running the show and you're there with either hat just to help.  Be the sounding board and offer up suggestions for HIM to consider.  I call it leading from the backseat and my older boys are well versed in doing that when they are working with the younger PL's.  One doesn't want to take over or get in the way, but helping them be successful is always nice.

My son is a Webelos and will be working on his AOL next year. I don't want him to be lost when he gets to Boy Scouts and really want him to continue.

No, you want him to succeed as a Scout.  Anyone can "continue", and remember what you want and what he wants might be divergent paths.  So get out in front and lead him.  That means you can't push him!  Remember that, it's important, and it will be on the test.  :)

Anything I can do to help him and the other boys I want to do. Any suggestions?

With your drive to learn and interest in helping the boys, I would have no problem with signing you up from day one as an ASM.  Work on your boy led education and get as many opportunities into your son's hands to "take care of his boys" as you can.  If he can do that and learn to "help other people at all times" he will make one heck of a Real Eagle.  Play that TED video for him whenever you think he needs to re-hear it. 

"Opportunities"...

In Cub Scouts, the adults arrange, plan, teach, encourage, insist, herd,  example,  determine, transport, feed,  clean-up after,  point fingers at each other  and reward the Cubs with little scraps of colorful cloth. .

It takes awhile for adults to un-learn all that stuff.   Most times, we expect Boy Scouts to pick up on most of the above subjects. As they mature, we hope they will pick up more and more.   Eventually, they will be doing ALL of the above, and you and I will be headed for the retirement / assisted living facility . 

I like the idea of the Tempo patrols , but how to "assign" the Patrol Leader position?   Any Boy Scout/DenChiefs out there?   In our Scout Niche,  Webelos Weekend is usually a Troop run, Webelos invited Camporee type thing.  Individual Troops staff an activity for the individual Webs, or Dens to try their hand at. Map & compass, fire building, lashing & knots, nature trail, more advanced archery, even fishing .  When awards are passed out at the end, it is individual patches and ribbons and beads.

Your Patrol idea is good, but who keeps the awards for being good at something? 

I'm with Stosh:  You can be my ASM right now....   Good luck with your WB..  Don't forget your extra duck tape, rope and silly hat...

One hint: at wood badge make the Webelo-ree (or follow-up afterword) part of your ticket. It will consume a lot of your time and you will need to be managing goals and objectives anyway. You'll have plenty of time to sort the details out during your training weekends, so don't feel like you have to have a complete plan going in. But by thinking of Woodbadge as a synergistic tool rather than one more set of tasks, you will keep the chaos of life to a minimum.