Scouting Rediscovered

A couple of weeks ago, I ran across this great blog called Scouting Rediscovered, which is run by an Eagle Scout who has dedicated a considerable amount of time to poring over seminal writings from Scouting's past (particularly those of B-P, GBB, and John Thurman) in an effort to foster a return to the sources of Scouting. His series on "Keystones of a Scout: The Ten Virtues that Make a Scout" and "Traditional Scouting 101" are particularly exemplary. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this resource along for anyone who hasn't yet seen it, as I think his philosophy of Scouting will resonate with many who post here. The guy definitely deserves the traffic!

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

I discovered this site recently as I was learning all I could about the Scouting program. The person running it has WONDERFUL insights and resources, and I have referenced his site to many leaders who are trying to run the program in our area. I highly recommend it. 

Great site.  The How 1979 saved Scouting article caused me to remember how I greatly prefer the version 11 handbook over the version 12 handbook.  It just seemed like you could actually use the version 11 handbook for something.  Version 12 was like the book you put on the coffee table, glossy and fun to glance through but not functional.

Edited by fred johnson
  • 4 weeks later...

Great site.  The How 1979 saved Scouting article caused me to remember how I greatly prefer the version 11 handbook over the version 12 handbook.  It just seemed like you could actually use the version 11 handbook for something.  Version 12 was like the book you put on the coffee table, glossy and fun to glance through but not functional.

Same here, I much prefer Version 11 to 12.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2018 at 3:03 PM, The Latin Scot said:

Whatever happened to this site? It hasn't been updated in almost a year. Such a pity too; I think it was one of the best websites on Scouting one could hope to find. 

The creator of that blog, was a young man about my age. I think he got busy with college and a bit separated from the Scouting Movement. He'll be back at some point I hope. It's pretty typical for folks to age out, and not come back till they have kids. The BSA doesn't do a very good job guiding troops on how to utilize young adults, 18-25, so most of us go on to do other things rather than hang around where we aren't utilized. 

My troop was somewhat of an exception, so here I am. We had such a shortage of ASM's nobody had a problem with the 19 year old Eagle Scout becoming an ASM. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I am kind of surprised they got me back into the movement, seeing as I am still unmarried and have no children of my own. I suppose the fact that I am very involved in my Church's congregation, and the fact that I work with children professionally, meant that getting me would make some sense, but yeah, I can see how there would be some distance right after getting married AND going to school. He has some remarkable insights though, and the right perspective on what makes Scouting work. I hope he gets back into the program when the time is right for him and his family!

• 3 months later...