Recruiter Strip Question

I reviewed a forum post concerning this, which started in 2009 and I am still confused as to whether or not we, as adult leaders wear the strip. I am new to being an adult leader and my council awarded me the strip for recruiting a new scout when it was not recruitment time. I have just had it sewn on and now am wondering if I did the wrong thing. I believe any uniform should be worn correctly, but it is not clear if adults should wear the strip or not. Can anyone please help me here? Thank you!

I reviewed a forum post concerning this, which started in 2009 and I am still confused as to whether or not we, as adult leaders wear the strip. I am new to being an adult leader and my council awarded me the strip for recruiting a new scout when it was not recruitment time. I have just had it sewn on and now am wondering if I did the wrong thing. I believe any uniform should be worn correctly, but it is not clear if adults should wear the strip or not. Can anyone please help me here? Thank you!

According to BSA's own website, only youth wear it.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/Awards_Central/RecruiterStrip.aspx

That is exactly what I found...why would my council award me it if I am not supposed to wear it. I am not a bling Scouter by any means, but I do enjoy showing off things to the boys to encourage them to earn them as well. I will anger my wife and inform her of this, since she was the one who sewed it on. Thank you for the information.

• Upvote 1

That is exactly what I found...why would my council award me it if I am not supposed to wear it. I am not a bling Scouter by any means, but I do enjoy showing off things to the boys to encourage them to earn them as well. I will anger my wife and inform her of this, since she was the one who sewed it on. Thank you for the information.

Even council makes mistakes. ;) Just read some the current threads about membership, recharter, etc., to see how. ;)

At least you had the good sense to ask the question. You will go far in Scouting. ;)

• Upvote 1

Why? Now that's a profound question. Your people at your council are not experts on insignia. Folks are really shocked to hear that they are more concerned about who's under the uniform than what's on it. Most pros are so thrilled when kids come through the doors of the CO's they've acquired, they are gonna toss out the patch and ask questions later -- as in never.

As to the Mrs., no point in telling her. (There'll be plenty of other things for her to be mad about by the time you're in the thick volunteering. Don't tell her that either.) For now, wear it proudly, and if anyone points it out, say you listened to council before reading the Insignia Guide ... newbie error ... but you are not about to disrespect your seamstress! :excl:

Boys are supposed to sew on their own patches. Time to get some lessons! Try to find a scout who actually did recruit a buddy and offer to give him the patch off your shirt if he has a penknife handy.

Edited by qwazse

Why? Now that's a profound question. Your people at your council are not experts on insignia. Folks are really shocked to hear that they are more concerned about who's under the uniform than what's on it. Most pros are so thrilled when kids come through the doors of the CO's they've acquired, they are gonna toss out the patch and ask questions later -- as in never.

As to the Mrs., no point in telling her. (There'll be plenty of other things for her to be mad about by the time you're in the thick volunteering. Don't tell her that either.) For now, wear it proudly, and if anyone points it out, say you listened to council before reading the Insignia Guide ... newbie error ... but you are not about to disrespect your seamstress! :excl:

Boys are supposed to sew on their own patches. Time to get some lessons! Try to find a scout who actually did recruit a buddy and offer to give him the patch off your shirt if he has a penknife handy.

...she is already "upset" with me for volunteering stuff (she really isn't mad, just stressed out about it a little). I am going to Woodbadge starting in April and of course will be gone for two weekends.

• Upvote 1

...she is already "upset" with me for volunteering stuff (she really isn't mad, just stressed out about it a little). I am going to Woodbadge starting in April and of course will be gone for two weekends.

Oh, then take it off now. If your WB'ers are anything like the guys in my area, they will take any opportunity to point out the things wrong with your uniform. Why give them fodder?

• Upvote 1

Haha. Good on you! 

Knows if something is fishy, to look for answers. Going to Wood Badge. Good stuff! 

I too had made this mistake. I had it pointed out at EDGE training by a well meaning--I think--instructor.

As has been mentioned, it is indeed a youth-only patch. Interesting, in a training slide show made by national, there were adults shown with the patch on their uniform.

I was the district membership chair for eight years.  I wore the Recruiter strip,  because then I always knew where to point when I was talking to Scouts about peer to peer recruiting.

Personally,  I'd encourage anyone who actively does recruiting to wear the recruiting strip  --- and I'd award it to adults who take a hand in unit recruiting.

Getting more adults involved in recruiting is FAR more important than BSA trivia about who should wear the strip.  I only wish it were a more powerful incentive than it is.

Getting more adults involved in recruiting is FAR more important than BSA trivia about who should wear the strip.  I only wish it were a more powerful incentive than it is.

It is a little more than BSA "trivia" though. It expressly says for youth. I don't think we should be picking and choosing what we want to follow from BSA, should we?

Loops are expensive, can I stop wearing those? Can I wear the gold ones because I like them better? Can I wear that temporary patch on my left side rather than my right side because it looks better there?

• Upvote 1