New to Scouting, New Den Leader

Good Morning Everyone,

I am glad to have found this resource! As a child, I was in 4H, so my wife and I are brand new to this, but we are really enjoying it already. Our Tiger Den has 4 boys in it, including my twins. We started with a few more than that, but several stopped showing up and I haven't been able to reach the parents, which is a bummer.

I think part of it may be because we joined late and were asked to be leaders late, and now we're scrambling a bit to ensure we finish all the required adventures. I'm not sure how it works in other packs, but I'm thinking I need to work with the leadership in my pack and do a better job recruiting for next year, so new tigers can hit the ground running! So, once I can post, expect more questions from me on that topic.

In the meantime, here's a bit about myself. We're a pretty outdoorsy family, lots of hiking, camping, hunting, fishing. And kayaking, backpacking, snowshoeing, etc. In addition to being a Den Leader, I sit on our town's Recreation Board and the Board for our local lacrosse club... So I coach a lot.

Despite our late start, our Den is moving along. All the scouts have earned their Bobcat badge, and we've completed our Duty to God, Team Tiger, and Tiger Bites adventures, and we'll be completing our cyber chips at this weeks Den Meeting. We've had some fun outings too, including a tour of an emergency room where the scouts got to meet everyone from Doctors and Administrators to housekeeping staff and security to learn how they all function as a team in a hospital. We did a farm tour and a grocery store scavenger hunt. And we are headed to see our local minor hockey league team play a game. The boys will be giving the players high fives in the tunnel for that one, along with playing on the ice between periods and helping unfurl the 'living flag'... I think they will have a blast!

Hopefully, it will warm up soon. I'm running out of 'indoor' adventures to do, and we need to get going on the ones that take place outside.

Well, thanks in advance for any help... I'm sure I'll be peppering you with questions!

• Upvote 1

welcome!  It truly is a great resource.  i started reading and participating here when my son was early in Cubs, & I feel like sorting through the chaff, I have gained more perspective here that I did from our pack leaders or from the district round tables.

It's a shame that so many Tiger dens have that kind of start.  I saw it all through my pack years.... dens that start small are not always small, but other times they struggle.

I'm not overly familiar with the new program since our boys were the last to earn the AOL AWARD the old way.  I did review it and looked with the eye of Cubmaster trying to get the pack ready for it...

regardless of the program nuts and bolts....

just remember to focus more on the fun than on the requirements.  The ideal situation some times is for the boys to do something fun without even realize they are working on a "requirement" or "award".... then when the game is over, hey guys, look what you just earned....

I'm a big fan of instant recognition, especially for the younger scouts.

I really encourage you to involve the other parents in a shared leader role.  I think the new program is like this too, but The old program was set up for the parents to be involved in everything as a partner at the tiger level, and it also encourage assigning meetings or month to a boy/parent team.... it spreads the load so you don't burn out, it keeps them engaged and interested, and it grooms parents for future roles for the den or pack.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I wish I was in your den, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun!  Don't worry about losing a few, it happens every year.  Also, just because you started small doesn't mean you will stay that way.  My son's Tiger den was two boys.  Those two boys talked it up to some friends at school, and the next year we added a few more.  Each year we've added a few boys to the den, lost a couple along the way, but a solid core of 3-4 boys with 1-2 added per year can result in a very healthy den.  The key is to actively recruit... put together a flyer or poster with pictures showing all of the fun things you are doing (I hope you are taking pictures!), and try to get some boys to join this spring.  Hit up your sons' class at school and see if you can get a few to join you for some fun activities this summer.  If you aren't yet, get BALOO trained and if your Pack isn't doing Pack Campouts, make sure they start.  Our Pack made that leap this year and it has been great.  Two successful Pack campouts already, and another coming up in May.  Getting the boys to camp is the best way to retain them, in my opinion.  Kids love camping!  Good luck, and feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.