Archdiocese of St Louis Concerned about values of GSUSA and BSA

"" So many experts on Catholicism that aren't actually Catholic. ""

And, many who profess Christianity don't really follow Jesus' teachings, but we can discuss that in the "Chaplaincy and Faith " forum. 

Oh wait...

Nice discussion on NPR  about the Catholic Priest/Bishop child abuse cover-up on going scandal   http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/catholic-church/

I remember a Catholic guidebook that mentioned something about a log in someone's  eye, perhaps....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope. This is pervasive across GSUSA. This is not local. This is local, region and across the country. It is a bigoted reaction based on fear.    If this were a racial or gay issue it would be in th

You're twisting things. As I'm sure you're well aware, the Catholic Church traditionally teaches against contraception (there have been exceptions) and has consistently opposed abortion. Amnesty Inte

" It depends"...   When first wife abandoned our marriage, I had a four year old daughter to raise. I was helped by inlaws and Gmom.  I was "visited" by my daughters school (it was a private school

"" So many experts on Catholicism that aren't actually Catholic. ""

And, many who profess Christianity don't really follow Jesus' teachings, but we can discuss that in the "Chaplaincy and Faith " forum. 

Oh wait...

Nice discussion on NPR  about the Catholic Priest/Bishop child abuse cover-up on going scandal   http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/catholic-church/

I remember a Catholic guidebook that mentioned something about a log in someone's  eye, perhaps....

Bringing up the sex abuse crisis doesn't invalidate my statement.

​Furthermore, it doesn't relate to the discussion at hand.

​While the cover up of sex abuse is/was unacceptable, the BSA and the Public School system is/was often just as complicit. Back in the 60s-70s medical professionals thought sex abusers could be rehabilitated. It pains me to see the Church go through gymnastics trying to shift guilt and deny what happened. Accept it, pay up, make changes move on. Losing a couple hundred priests in the short term will hurt, but the future gains of priests in the future, who can trust the institution to do the right thing, is far more important.

​In short, one Catholic Bishop deciding that the GSUSA is not an organization he wants his diocese to support doesn't make him a hypocrite. Even if you do not agree with his interpretation (and I do not.) Furthermore he cannot prevent Catholics from being affiliated with the GSUSA or the BSA. He can 't even prevent Churches from sponsoring units. He's making a suggestion, and it's up to Parish's to make their decision.

​The irony of non-Catholics telling Catholics how to run their church and live their religion is rich indeed. On what authority do you decide who's living Christianity and who's not SSScout?

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 2

​The irony of non-Catholics telling Catholics how to run their church and live their religion is rich indeed. On what authority do you decide who's living Christianity and who's not SSScout?

... what some bombastic candidate said.

One beauty about this country is that we make no bones about meddling in each others' religions. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Sentinel947:  ""On what authority do you decide who's living Christianity and who's not SSScout?""

I tend to not make that judgement, but I can compare Jesus' suggestions on how one should behave as recorded in Gospel with how  people do behave and speak. 

The bumper sticker WWJD is very evocative to me.  

I would never presume to instruct someone else in the organization or running of their church.  I would encourage people to read their scripture for themselves and make their own choices of behavior.   

Remember, the Master and his disciples wore costumes without pockets.

Merlyn?  You out there? 

• 2 weeks later...

So in his letter, the Archbishop mentions that one of his problems with the Girl Scouts is their relationship with Amnesty International because, according to the Archbishop, the work of Amnesty International is in conflict with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Until now, I never thought of the Catholic Church being opposed to organizations that oppose dictatorial regimes beheading political opponents and other dissidents.

Does the Pope know that his Archbishop supports beheading political enemies?  Just curious.

So in his letter, the Archbishop mentions that one of his problems with the Girl Scouts is their relationship with Amnesty International because, according to the Archbishop, the work of Amnesty International is in conflict with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Until now, I never thought of the Catholic Church being opposed to organizations that oppose dictatorial regimes beheading political opponents and other dissidents.

Does the Pope know that his Archbishop supports beheading political enemies?  Just curious.

You're twisting things.

As I'm sure you're well aware, the Catholic Church traditionally teaches against contraception (there have been exceptions) and has consistently opposed abortion. Amnesty International has not. Thus, the position of the Archbishop. That doesn't mean he or any part of the Catholic Church supports beheading anyone.

Edited by MattHiggins
  • Upvote 3

Matt,

Amnesty International may well have some kind of position on contraception and abortion but if you ask people what Amnesty International is all about, the first thing that pops in to people's heads is not contraception and abortion - it's imprisonment and the killing of political dissidents, of opposition leaders, or free speech advocates, and opposition to the death penalty.  If you ask most people what Amnesty International's position is on abortion, most people couldn't tell you they even have one, let alone what it is (for the record, they don't advocate access to abortions for all - they do advocate to allow for abortions for victims of rape and incest, and for the health of the mother - which is pretty much the mainstream position in the United States).

So am I really twisting things or am I pointing out what most people are likely to think when they read that an Archbishop of the Catholic Church is expressing opposition to Amnesty International?  He may very well think, in his mind, that it's about Amnesty International's position on contraceptives and abortion, but that just isn't what most people are going to be thinking about, are they?

That's not Amnesty International's only political position, in fact after years of not taking a position on abortion (I'm sure the Catholic Church's opposition to abortion is not news), it changed its position in 2007.

In addition, in 2014 AI started making moves toward supporting the decriminalization of prostitution.

So there are two things that Amnesty International supports but to which the Catholic Church would be opposed.

Hope this helps.

Just read an article that the Rev. Franklin Graham (Billy's boy) has just disavowed the GSUSA, saying, "no more cookies for me."  Alleging that their policies regarding transgenders and homosexuals are not "biblical".  So, it's not just the Roman Catholics.

One doesn't need to be a big name or celebrity to vote with one's feet.  My daughters have already been checking into the American Heritage Girls program for my granddaughters.  My one daughter is GS/USA Silver, too.

I always have to laugh. GSUSA goes out of their way to accommodate all these different groups, but continues to vilify and make unwelcome any heterosexual father who wants to volunteer and camp with his daughter's troop; assuming we are all perverts at heart. The irony is unbelievable.

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 3

GSUSA aren't the only ones who think men are after only one thing and cannot control our urges. My wife is an elementary school nurse. I once observed that all school nurses in this very large school district are ALL females. She laughed and said, "no male would ever get hired for that job".

GSUSA aren't the only ones who think men are after only one thing and cannot control our urges. My wife is an elementary school nurse. I once observed that all school nurses in this very large school district are ALL females. She laughed and said, "no male would ever get hired for that job".

That's blatantly illegal if that's actual hiring policy. Would violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 

We should be shocked that you could find a few hundred liberals to open check books for a cause?

I'd be more shocked if they had supported a father's right to volunteer and be treated like he's a decent human being, rather than assuming he's a degenerate.