Archdiocese of St Louis Concerned about values of GSUSA and BSA

The Archbishop of St Louis is not happy about the values of Girl and Boy Scouting

Two paragraphs...

"St. Louis Archbishop Robert Carlson has issued a letter calling on parishes to seek alternatives to Girl Scouts, arguing that the program and related organizations conflict with Roman Catholic teaching."

"Carlson’s letter further references concerns with the Boy Scouts of America, wondering “in which direction this once trusted organization is now headed†in terms of protections to religious organizations."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope. This is pervasive across GSUSA. This is not local. This is local, region and across the country. It is a bigoted reaction based on fear.    If this were a racial or gay issue it would be in th

You're twisting things. As I'm sure you're well aware, the Catholic Church traditionally teaches against contraception (there have been exceptions) and has consistently opposed abortion. Amnesty Inte

" It depends"...   When first wife abandoned our marriage, I had a four year old daughter to raise. I was helped by inlaws and Gmom.  I was "visited" by my daughters school (it was a private school

First North Dakota, now Missouri.... what's next.  It's only a matter of time before these organizations become political enough to get a lot of pushback from the more mainline Christian organizations.  What one is seeing here is NOT the ultra conservative right wing evangelicals, but the mainline traditional churches reacting to the line in the sand BSA and GS/USA have drawn.  Well, these organizations can rationalize it all they want, but the standards of 2,000 years of tradition don't just blow away in the modern political winds.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.   One might have expected it from the majorly conservative Christians, but these people are the moderates that are now walking away from the BSA and GS/USA programs.

Maybe it makes no difference which way they lean politically/theologically, the difference is the impact that is made on the program.  Nothing comes from the polarizing dynamics in play in today's political arena.  Everything is defined by us and them.

"Carlson’s letter further references concerns with the Boy Scouts of America, wondering “in which direction this once trusted organization is now headed†in terms of protections to religious organizations."

Interesting quote. I was thinking of the comments I read a few months ago from a clergyman for one of the US churches that voted to accept a gay clergy and perform gay marriages (I can't remember which one now). He said the US church leaders fully expected the church to grow from the change, but that wasn't happening. He was concerned for the future of the church and wondered if the changes had caused a distrust in the members.

I scratch my head trying to understand how any rational person can see growth from splitting the base with a change of doctrine. The organization looses much of the base and all of it's integrity.

It seems the Catholic church has some challenges a head with this new Pope.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

From the Archbishop's letter: "Organizations that GSUSA promotes and partners with are conflict with Catholic values, such as Amnesty International, Coalition for Adolescent Girls, OxFam and more."  

It certainly possible to disagree with some of the actions or policies of those organizations, no  organization, including my Catholic Church, is perfect. But it seems pretty extreme and dubious to claim that those three organizations conflict with Catholic values.  There is certainly no church-wide prohibition of supporting or working with those organizations.

Based on their biographies

Besides his pro-life stance, what other things has he done that align him with the conservative wing of Catholics?

I don't know many Catholic leaders that condone abortion. Do you? That does not make him conservative relative to the Church, that puts him smack dab on the average spectrum. It puts him to the right in secular society, but hardly makes him a conservative Catholic.

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1