Non-Uniform Pants, a new discussion

I Grew up In Texas...Never wore shorts as a youth....Blue Jeans every day...Went to Philmont twice..Wore Blue Jeans everyday on the Trails and cowboy boots...Only wore BSA Pants to and from during travel...Still Never wear shorts...Each person has their own style..

Cotton is Rotten??? Not around here....Someone has drank kool aide

I love jeans and given the opportunity, I'll wear jeans.  However, when backpacking and camping in the conditions in the Northeast, wearing cotton isn't a good idea.  

I've been on backpacking treks in the late fall where it was 45 degrees during the day.  That is enough to work up a sweat carrying 30 pounds on your back doing 10 miles.  If you are wearing cotton, the cotton will absorb the mositure.  When the sun goes down, the temperature drops below 30 degrees  If that moisture hasn't evaporated, you are at risk of hypothermia.  Most scouts (and a lot of scouters) believe hypothermia is a result of being cold, when it really is a result of being wet.  You are more likely to get hypothermia if you ar wet and the temperature is between 35 an 45 degrees than if you are dry and the temperature is between 15 and 25 degrees.

In the summer, cotton clothing traps moisture and heat.  If your sweat can't evaporate, it can't cool your body.  Plus, who wants to be walking around with the arm pits and back of your shirt drenched in sweat?  Heck, I've even gotten rid of my old cotton polo shirts in favor of the new breathable fabrics.  It actually is the humidity.

I've had scouts get the equivalent of diper rash from wearing cotton underwear during backpacking treks during the summer.  Wearing cotton socks and hiking or backpacking 10 mies will result in blisters.  Did a preselntation to some Webelos and parents last night.  When I said "no cotton" the parent asked about underwear.  My answer was "no cotton even for underwear."  

Non-cotton clothing absorbs less moisture keeping you cool and dry.  Also, for backpacking, non-cotton clothing is lighter and more compressible (compare a cotton sweatshirt and a polyester one and jeans with non-cotton pants).  In snow and rain, non-cotton clothing dries faster.  

We've banned jeans on cold weather outings and switched our Class B shirts to non-cotton breathable materials.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And let us sing praises of Smartwool-like socks.

As an Adult I wore the 5:11 Tacts also..Much better than the Official Pants...and unless you point it out 99% of the Scouters around you will never Know....The pants are close enough in color. I had a

I have a pair of uniform pants that I've been wearing 1/2 the time since 1992 when I got my first uniform.  In 1999 I got a second pair of long pants so I don't have to do the laundry as much.  In eit

I picked up a pair of these, and they're great. The OD is pretty close to the OD of uniform pants (at least the old ones--I don't own a pair of the Switchback). They're 60/40 poly/cotton with a ripstop weave, and they're about half the price of 5.11s. You definitely need to go a size up on them, but for $25, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them.

http://tacticalgear.com/genuine-gear-lightweight-tactical-pants-olive

• 8 months later...

I'm a den leader and I help out with the troop since I have a tiger and a first year scout. I'm offical 98% of the time. Sometimes I wear od dress pants I got from penny's if it's a formal occasion and my sloppy, ill fitting offical scout pants won't do.

Our troop is usually really good about being in full uniform. It's the leaders that seem to slack off. Our SM is usually ok and I'll give our Chaplin some leway since he is a Dominican priest but the other leaders often wear jeans or Kakhi cargos. I don't want to be a uniform policeman and these guys have put more time in the program than I ever will, but I wish they would take the uniform as seriously as the boys do.

Edited by Thxcuz
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope I am not too late for this discussion, but at Target right now there are olive cargo pants that are EXACTLY the same shade as the boy scout pants, for half the price! I got two pairs, and they are a perfect fit. They look great with just about everything in my wardrobe too. If you want an alternative, I highly recommend them. They are a cotton blend however, but as I live in Southern California where it never dips below 50 degrees, that's never a problem. ;-)

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-cargo-pants-olive-mossimo-supply-co/-/A-50864895

Edited by The Latin Scot