Non-Uniform Pants, a new discussion

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And let us sing praises of Smartwool-like socks.

As an Adult I wore the 5:11 Tacts also..Much better than the Official Pants...and unless you point it out 99% of the Scouters around you will never Know....The pants are close enough in color. I had a

I have a pair of uniform pants that I've been wearing 1/2 the time since 1992 when I got my first uniform.  In 1999 I got a second pair of long pants so I don't have to do the laundry as much.  In eit

There are a lot of options on scoutstuff including the classic canvas -http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia/mens/pants.html

I love the microfiber switchbacks.  i've used them at 95 degrees in the summer and in 18 degrees in the winter (with a base layer).  They work for the weekly meetings and (since they are not cotton) on outings.

I used to be a fanatic about wearing only official uniform panst/shorts.  But when I was getting ready for Jamboree I laid out every pair of BS shorts I owned: 2 different types of switchbacks, a couple of the the bathing suit types, and an older pair of cotton.  Between style changes, manufacturer changes, and sun and wear, no two of them looked alike.   When I decided I needed a new pair of pants (the one thing they all had in common was that they were all getting smaller) I tried on pants from Cabela's, the scout shop, and Amazon, both Amazon and Cabela's provided exact combinations of waist and length.  I went with the ones that felt most comfortable to me, and without looking at the tag I doubt anyone could tell that they were not a version from national supply.   

Edited by T2Eagle

I used to be a fanatic about wearing only official uniform panst/shorts.  But when I was getting ready for Jamboree I laid out every pair of BS shorts I owned: 2 different types of switchbacks, a couple of the the bathing suit types, and an older pair of cotton.  Between style changes, manufacturer changes, and sun and wear, no two of them looked alike.   When I decided I needed a new pair of pants (the one thing they all had in common was that they were all getting smaller) I tried on pants from Cabela's, the scout shop, and Amazon, both Amazon and Cabela's provided exact combinations of waist and length.  I went with the ones that felt most comfortable to me, and without looking at the tag I doubt anyone could tell that they were not a version from national supply.   

no two of them looked alike.  Exactly.  It's a brand of clothing, not a uniform.

Sorry for the late response all. Have been working the BLue and Gold Banquet. Yes the model is 74251. I have bothe the OD which matches the BSA Cargo type pant and the Tundra which is almost a perfect match to the switchback. 511 does have several types to choose from if you don't like cotton, they have some rip stop as well. I have a pair and they are a little lighter weight but work great. Do a google search for them because some places have them cheaper or if you know police or government workers, the 511 company will give discounts.

So I am new to being a leader in scouting and am the Cubmaster for my son's pack. I always want to set the right example and try to wear the full uniform every time, unless the "class B" is called for. I have those really bad zipper shorts/pants. My issue is that they are WAY to baggy for me. I am a 'former' Marine and am used to a uniform that fits better. I feel really uncomfortable wear these pants and I do not want to wear the other pants because I am warm enough as it is. Additionally, I have size issues (I am always between sizes). I want to wear jeans, now thinking about getting a pair of these, are we allowed to wear something other than the official scout pants?

So I am new to being a leader in scouting and am the Cubmaster for my son's pack. I always want to set the right example and try to wear the full uniform every time, unless the "class B" is called for. I have those really bad zipper shorts/pants. My issue is that they are WAY to baggy for me. I am a 'former' Marine and am used to a uniform that fits better. I feel really uncomfortable wear these pants and I do not want to wear the other pants because I am warm enough as it is. Additionally, I have size issues (I am always between sizes). I want to wear jeans, now thinking about getting a pair of these, are we allowed to wear something other than the official scout pants?

Welcome, feel free to introduce yourself in the new member sub forum at the top of the forum if you haven't already. 

Sentinel947 

Welcome to the forums. And, I feel your pain. My suggested strategy ...

• Visit a scout shop and ask to look at regulation-issue alternatives.
  • Go the non-official route as a last resort. Don't worry if someone notices.

Oh, and the most important part of your uniform? Your smile! :D

As an Adult I wore the 5:11 Tacts also..Much better than the Official Pants...and unless you point it out 99% of the Scouters around you will never Know....The pants are close enough in color. I had an Official Pair of Scout pants..lasted 2 Months.. I found the 5.11 more comfortable than the BSA Pants...

I hate any Switchback style Pants..

Bit of an Irony...I was approached by several youth....Who in years never wore anything but Blue Jeans to scouts...asked were I got them and after they got a pair they started wearing them. Seems they felt they were no longer ashamed of the Scouting Uniforms.

Something else I have Noticed around here at least...the vast Majority of troops do not do Uniform inspections anymore...Scouts in the last troop with all the parents on Committee did not show up in Uniform for a Board of Review and did not have a Scout Handbook. Yet they never were turned away or turned down, And the Board of reviews were held each week. On a walk in basis. I remember when I was growing up, you had to schedule a BOR and had to be 100% Uniform and have your Handbook...I remember my first BOR in my troop. I had no Pants..I was asked why I was not in Uniform...I told them My Mom could not afford a complete Uniform. I was told to reschedule when I had a pair of pants...I was about to quit on the spot. My family did not have a lot of money after my dad died..The Reviewers asked me if I was a hard worker..I said yes..I got jobs offers to mow their Lawns...For 3 weeks I mowed Lawns...I got 4 pairs of pants and past my rescheduled my BOR a month later....Only worn at Meetings and Worn to and from Camp...Immediately after Flag ceremonies each day...they were taken off, replaced with Blue Jeans and Hung up in a "suit" bag to keep them clean

I Grew up In Texas...Never wore shorts as a youth....Blue Jeans every day...Went to Philmont twice..Wore Blue Jeans everyday on the Trails and cowboy boots...Only wore BSA Pants to and from during travel...Still Never wear shorts...Each person has their own style..

Cotton is Rotten??? Not around here....Someone has drank kool aide

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Durn it! @@jpstodwftexas, that was supposed to be a +1. Sorry for the thumb fail.

I've always felt that the U.S. traditional/national dress was denims and a flannel shirt. (Possibly including a tool belt.)

The old Arabs and Turks used to dread when their kids would start wearing them ... a sure sign of Westernization and the accompanying rot to come.