Eagle BOR Scoutmaster Introduction

Sorry, I didn't see the 2nd part of the question.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm honored and proud to introduce Eagle Candidate First-Last Name." I shake his hand and sit down.

Not very eloquent I guess, but a big deal for me.

Barry

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree that there's no need for an SM to introduce the Eagle candidate. I've only done it once for a special needs scout when the board was made up of a few new parents and a new district rep that did

Not necessary, a scout should be able to introduce himself without help, after all he has had plenty of practice with Merit Badge counselors and other adult association situations. Ditto for SM.

In the past no.  Our Eagle boards have been all Troop parents with the exception of the District representative.  There really isn't a need to have an introduction.  Our District may be making a chang

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I was responding to the OPs question of introduction.

Barry

And I answered, in our district the introduction is not a tradition.  The boy simply introduces himself when he comes into the room.  Even the presence of the SM is optional as is the Q&A with the SM when the candidate is not in the room.  I know for certain that we do not have a tradition like the one you have in your district.  It might be good advice for the newbie SM's to find out what, if any, traditions the district/council may have and be ready when the EBOR's roll around.  In our district, a slight would be no big deal, but a slight in your district would be a major gaff.    Best to check it out!

Congratulations to your scout! And thank you for all the support you've given!

Subbing for the SM, I've done it once -- based on my experience of my SM doing it for me when I was a scout. It went something like:

Fellow scouters, it is my pleasure to present to you, for your review of progress towards rank, Mr. {name}, a scout in good standing with troop ### for x years, and crew ### for y years. Most recently, he has served scouting in the capacity of ___ for {unit} ###. His other formidable credentials are before you in his application, references, and project report, which I presume you have found to be in order. I trust you will enjoy your time with our scout. I'll be next door and look forward to talking to you all shortly.

Yes, I wax a little formal. But, I figure the boy's SM's/ASM's have been setting the tone for a good many years. No reason to stop now.

Very good.  I like it and think it is a good idea.  ... In our district, there are no magic words.  I've sat on alot of EBORs.  Some scoutmasters say words.  Some just say HI and sit down in the back and let the scout start his EBOR.  

I just like the scoutmaster saying some kind words as a way to set a friendly tone for the EBOR.

Only difference in our district is the unit leader sits in the back of the room.  They don't leave the room unless they are the parent too ... at which point hopefully a different unit leader attends.

Also, all our EBORs are district EBORs.  They are schedule on-demand usually two weeks after the council approves the paperwork for an EBOR.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1

And I answered, in our district the introduction is not a tradition.  The boy simply introduces himself when he comes into the room.  Even the presence of the SM is optional as is the Q&A with the SM when the candidate is not in the room.  I know for certain that we do not have a tradition like the one you have in your district.  It might be good advice for the newbie SM's to find out what, if any, traditions the district/council may have and be ready when the EBOR's roll around.  In our district, a slight would be no big deal, but a slight in your district would be a major gaff.    Best to check it out!

I'm not the OP, so I'm still confused why you are responding to my post. But it's good to know you have experience with major gaffs. :)

Barry

Our District Advancement Chair would have a conniption fit.  And probably stop the paper work from making it to National. 

You're also in Circle 10 council.  Does your district still allow for Troop level EBORs?

Yup, that's all we have ever done. District sends a rep, we host the EBOR. Four to five folks, one of which is the district rep, the other our advancement chair, the other 2-3 are unit parents (unrelated to the scout).

I could not imagine the district changing that. I think most of the units in our area would rebel. I also think we have WAY too many EBORs in our district to hold them all at one time. If you figure 40+ units with 6-12 Eagles each a year that's a HUGE number of scouts to review at one time. ;)

Very good.  I like it and think it is a good idea.  ... In our district, there are no magic words.  I've sat on alot of EBORs.  Some scoutmasters say words.  Some just say HI and sit down in the back and let the scout start his EBOR.  

I just like the scoutmaster saying some kind words as a way to set a friendly tone for the EBOR.

Only difference in our district is the unit leader sits in the back of the room.  They don't leave the room unless they are the parent too ... at which point hopefully a different unit leader attends.

Also, all our EBORs are district EBORs.  They are schedule on-demand usually two weeks after the council approves the paperwork for an EBOR.

You know, I never thought to ask how or even if I should. It's what was done for me (and I can't remember if it was done at every rank, not just Eagle), so I passed it on.

Our boards are done with the troop committee and the district rep(s) ... who sometimes is the fellow who helped the boy with his project paperwork. So, it's not like the candidate was walking into a den of strangers. He certainly didn't need my help. I just thought recognizing the magnitude of the moment is the SM's responsibility.

Nobody came up to me afterword and commented about what I did -- good, bad or indifferent. So, I think this is pretty much what SM's do around here.

As to how they are held, centrally or distributed to the units, I guess it's the culture. Changing it from one way to the other would be traumatic for most involved. In our parts, we are still dependent on when the district reps are available, and that is only on meeting nights a fraction of the time. I suppose folks could complain, but we wont. We're grateful for them taking time out of their schedules to come to us. So, we flex accordingly.

I bet your numbers are off.  We are a very large district and we have 70 to 80 total EBORs a year.  Some troops have 5+.  Most have 1 or 2.

You can bet me but you'd lose. The average number of Eagles in the top 50% of troops is 9 per year. There's 25% that have 12+ on average. The remaining 25% have 5-8.

So taking the overall average (9) times the number of units (40, there's more but lets work with that) that's 360 candidates. Take an smooth split of 360 divided by 12, that's 30 scouts a month. At 30 mins per scout (usually more but let's go in your favor) that's 15 hours worth of EBORs. If you meet twice a month to do this at the district level that's nearly two full working days of meetings. Divide that in to four meetings per month and you'd have nearly 4 hours of EBORs per week.

How's my math now?

Edited by Krampus

Here, It has always been a District BoR, even thru the six Districts I have lived in (and I haven't moved in 25 years).  Each Troop has already done their own BoR. 

Routine:  EBoR are held the same second and third Tuesday every month in the same church social halls and class rooms. Rarely are they rescheduled, but there was one where the Scout had to be moving (parents overseas assignment) and they accommodated this. I sat the EBoR in a rec room of the ECoordinator.   Every Eagle candidate is expected to have his SM or ASM to introduce him, and the parent(s) are invited to accompany him but NOT be in the BoR room.  Other Adults (SM, ASMs, parents) are invited to participate in some one else's BoR (not their Scout's) during the evening.  The District Advancement Committee (Chair et al) chair each Board, and they have at least two other folks with them, sometimes three more. Rarely four, but if there are enough eager people, it might happen.  I have assisted at BoR evenings with as many as 6 BsoR happening, and as few as none.  They still come and meet, just in case, but these are scheduled in advance. 

Board is made up, new folks are prepped as to what to expect, the records are reviewed (yep, sometimes there is a glich in them , even after all the checking) and when the board is ready, they ask the SM to introduce the candidate.  He/she will speak pretty much as has been stated above ("Scouters, I am pleased to introduce...").  And so it proceeds. 

The more I think about this whole thing the more I wonder why it is so adult focused.  Sure it's Johnny's EBOR, so if it's HIS, why is he being introduced to HIS EBOR?  I would think it would be the other way around.  Here one has a brand new Eagle, fully vetted and he has to show up and be introduced to the illustrious panel of who?  Scouters?  Parents?  Good ol' Boys?  Most of the people I see on the Boards I've never seen before.

Never paid much attention to how the whole thing works, .... maybe I should.

The more I think about this whole thing the more I wonder why it is so adult focused.  Sure it's Johnny's EBOR, so if it's HIS, why is he being introduced to HIS EBOR?  I would think it would be the other way around.  Here one has a brand new Eagle, fully vetted and he has to show up and be introduced to the illustrious panel of who?  Scouters?  Parents?  Good ol' Boys?  Most of the people I see on the Boards I've never seen before.

Usually the BOR Chairman initiates panel introductions. There are fewer requirements to sit on a District BOR than your unit BOR, so at the District BOR a scout may have panelists who are not BSA members. District EBOR's are fading away here.

Obviously, if one is wont to see gremlins, the more one thinks, the more gremlins one will see ... Even when reading about acts of common courtesy. :p

But, I can see if the BoR is comprised of complete strangers to both SM and scout, the notion of one introducing the other falls flat.

Usually the BOR Chairman initiates panel introductions. There are fewer requirements to sit on a District BOR than your unit BOR, so at the District BOR a scout may have panelists who are not BSA members. District EBOR's are fading away here.

The GTA makes no such distinction....

"... They need not be on an advancement committee or registered with the Boy Scouts of America, but they must have an understanding of the rank and the purpose and importance of the review. This holds true for Eagle boards of review held in any unit, whether troop, team, crew, or ship." (8.0.3.0-3) Welcome the occasional guest on your unit BORs!

Obviously, if one is wont to see gremlins, the more one thinks, the more gremlins one will see ... Even when reading about acts of common courtesy. :p

But, I can see if the BoR is comprised of complete strangers to both SM and scout, the notion of one introducing the other falls flat.

The GTA makes no such distinction....

"... They need not be on an advancement committee or registered with the Boy Scouts of America, but they must have an understanding of the rank and the purpose and importance of the review. This holds true for Eagle boards of review held in any unit, whether troop, team, crew, or ship." (8.0.3.0-3) Welcome the occasional guest on your unit BORs!

I was speaking of T-Life unit BOR member requirements, GTA 8.0.2.0

"The board is made up of three to six unit committee members—no more and no less. In units with fewer than three registered committee members available to serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents (not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who understand Boy Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered adults for boards of review must be the exception, not the rule. Registered committee members familiar with the unit program, who have had a background check, and who are Youth Protection trained are preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and where committee members can attend usually alleviates the problem of not having enough committee members for a board."

But you are correct a unit EBOR or District EBOR has no requirements GTA 8.0.3.0 other than over 21.

"There shall be no fewer than three and no more than six members, all at least 21 years old. They need not be on an advancement committee or registered with the Boy Scouts of America, but they must have an understanding of the rank and the purpose and importance of the review. This holds true for Eagle boards of review held in any unit, whether troop, team, crew, or ship."

IMO, this seems bassackwards. :blink:

Sorry I was not clearer.

Edited by RememberSchiff