Eagle BOR Scoutmaster Introduction

Last night, I introduced an Eagle candidate from our Troop to his Eagle BOR.  This was the first time doing so.  I had asked other SMs in the district what they say for an introduction.  Now I'm asking you.

Do you has Scoutmaster introduce your Eagle candidate at his Eagle board?  If so, what do you say?

Edited by KenD500
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree that there's no need for an SM to introduce the Eagle candidate. I've only done it once for a special needs scout when the board was made up of a few new parents and a new district rep that did

Not necessary, a scout should be able to introduce himself without help, after all he has had plenty of practice with Merit Badge counselors and other adult association situations. Ditto for SM.

In the past no.  Our Eagle boards have been all Troop parents with the exception of the District representative.  There really isn't a need to have an introduction.  Our District may be making a chang

Not necessary, a scout should be able to introduce himself without help, after all he has had plenty of practice with Merit Badge counselors and other adult association situations. Ditto for SM.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

In the past no.  Our Eagle boards have been all Troop parents with the exception of the District representative.  There really isn't a need to have an introduction.  Our District may be making a change to holding Eagle BoRs on the night of Round Table and the board members recruited by the District Advancement Chair.  If so, I can see the need and benefit of the SM introduction.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to your scout! And thank you for all the support you've given!

Subbing for the SM, I've done it once -- based on my experience of my SM doing it for me when I was a scout. It went something like:

Fellow scouters, it is my pleasure to present to you, for your review of progress towards rank, Mr. {name}, a scout in good standing with troop ### for x years, and crew ### for y years. Most recently, he has served scouting in the capacity of ___ for {unit} ###. His other formidable credentials are before you in his application, references, and project report, which I presume you have found to be in order. I trust you will enjoy your time with our scout. I'll be next door and look forward to talking to you all shortly.

Yes, I wax a little formal. But, I figure the boy's SM's/ASM's have been setting the tone for a good many years. No reason to stop now.

• Upvote 1

My candidates walk into the room, present themselves in front of the panel, salute and state their names. 

One board actually told the boy that saluting people was not appropriate for scouts to do, it was meant for the Flag only.  He cited the page in the Scout Handbook that states otherwise.  From that point on, the boy was pretty much "in charge" of the EBOR. 

With another scout, the panel didn't know how to react to the salute and after an awkward few moments invited him to sit down.

Only once did a person on the panel ever said, "As you were, please be seated."

• Upvote 1

In the past no.  Our Eagle boards have been all Troop parents with the exception of the District representative.  There really isn't a need to have an introduction.  Our District may be making a change to holding Eagle BoRs on the night of Round Table and the board members recruited by the District Advancement Chair.  If so, I can see the need and benefit of the SM introduction.

Our district & council went to district Eagle boards a couple of years ago.  1 Thursday each month is designated for them.

Agree that there's no need for an SM to introduce the Eagle candidate. I've only done it once for a special needs scout when the board was made up of a few new parents and a new district rep that did not know him. Otherwise, I let the boys speak for themselves. This is their pinnacle to make or break. Most are 16+ by the time they do their Eagle BOR. If they cannot handle adults by then I haven't done my job. ;)

We prepare for the BOR during the Eagle SMC. I take about 45 mins or so to walk them through how to "manage" a BOR. It's an interview, run it like one. ;)

• Upvote 2

Our district & council went to district Eagle boards a couple of years ago.  1 Thursday each month is designated for them.

Just curious, what would happen if you unit said you were holding the BOR and invited a district rep? 

I don't get this need by the district to pigeon-hole units in to their schedules.

Just curious, what would happen if you unit said you were holding the BOR and invited a district rep? 

I don't get this need by the district to pigeon-hole units in to their schedules.

Our District Advancement Chair would have a conniption fit.  And probably stop the paper work from making it to National. 

You're also in Circle 10 council.  Does your district still allow for Troop level EBORs?

Edited by KenD500

It's not a proof of maturity, it's a gesture of respect. It has been a tradition in our District since their first Eagle. I'm humbled by the gesture and considerate an honor.

Barry

• Upvote 1

At the SMC I offer a session on dealing with the EBOR if the scout so chooses.  If they do it makes a noticeable difference in how things run at the EBOR.  Of my first two candidates, one did take the suggestions I had to offer and the other took a pass.  The candidate that listened to my suggestions had 4 questions posed to him by the panel.  The other scout had well over 20 questions asked during the course of an hour. 

I wish I could have taped the two Reviews as a what to do and what not to do video for my other boys.  It was a night and day difference. 

Council advancement committees decide whether to di unit based EBORs with a district rep, or District EBORs. You don't follow the procedures, the paperwork can be delayed until done by the council policy.

Growing up, the Scout always  introduced himself, stated his current rank, and requested a _______ BOR. That was for all BORs. Eagle was done on the unit level with at least one district rep.THANKFULLY I HAD TWO DISTRICT REPS! ( emphasis and another story for another time). 

It wasn't until I moved to my current council that I heard of district level BORs, and SMs introducing the Eagle Candidates.

• Upvote 1

It's not a proof of maturity, it's a gesture of respect. It has been a tradition in our District since their first Eagle. I'm humbled by the gesture and considerate an honor.

Barry

I'm sure every district has it's traditions.  I as SM was "invited" but not required to attend the EBOR.  I choose to do so and as a guest enter and sit quietly in the back of the room.  If a SM does choose to attend (I think most do if they can make it that night) the board excuses the boy for a few moments and then asks the SM a few questions about the boy that are not part of the process.   I leave when the boy does and avoid that Q&A period.  This is the scouts EBOR.  He has done the work, he has gotten the signatures, all i's are dotted and t's crossed.  There's nothing more that needs to be said or done.  What are they going to ask me that makes one iota bit of difference?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure every district has it's traditions.  I as SM was "invited" but not required to attend the EBOR.  I choose to do so and as a guest enter and sit quietly in the back of the room.  If a SM does choose to attend (I think most do if they can make it that night) the board excuses the boy for a few moments and then asks the SM a few questions about the boy that are not part of the process.   I leave when the boy does and avoid that Q&A period.  This is the scouts EBOR.  He has done the work, he has gotten the signatures, all i's are dotted and t's crossed.  There's nothing more that needs to be said or done.  What are they going to ask me that makes one iota bit of difference?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I was responding to the OPs question of introduction.

Barry

• Downvote 1