So Does This Mean We Can Sell Popcorn With AOL?

Found this in my internet skimming....

http://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-about-cookies.html

Right there in the corner of the AOL news...   You can find a cookie seller, volunteer to sell them yourself, do a search to find local GSUSA groups, educate yourself about how valuable the Girl Scout Cookie is to the success of civilization...

I have regularly posted on FB (for the sake of my venturers mainly): "Hey Girl Scouts, I have a door ... And a phone! Largest order to the first caller." Plenty of likes, no sells. So I wound up last year buying from a girl who was taking orders at her dad's coffee shop. I congratulated her on being so diligent and prepared with her order form. And said, "I'd place another order with any other scout who had her order form ready and willing to deal."

Her younger sister who was in the seat next to me, form on the table, remained glued to her electronic device unflinching. I wink at her dad who's across the bar, who just shook his head.

This year, the older sister was taking my coffee order and said, "Our Cooke sales have started, but I left may order form at home."

(Dad's shaking his head.)

I say, "So how is that my problem?"

She thinks a couple of seconds, grabs a tablet, and starts writing my order.

At least this year younger sister will strike up conversations ... Even about what her troop would do with the cookie $s ... But still hasn't figured out to ask if I would like to place an order with her.

Edited by qwazse

I only buy cookies from the girls who are willing to go door to door. Hijacking me at the grocery store does not count. I don't buy from mom or dad. I don't buy online. I will buy if they sell on the street corner like an old fashioned lemonade stand.

In short, if the girl makes an effort I will buy. I've even been known to break my "no grocery store rule" if the girl is innovative, out-going and really nails the sales pitch.

• Upvote 1

I only buy cookies from the girls who are willing to go door to door. Hijacking me at the grocery store does not count. I don't buy from mom or dad. I don't buy online. I will buy if they sell on the street corner like an old fashioned lemonade stand.

In short, if the girl makes an effort I will buy. I've even been known to break my "no grocery store rule" if the girl is innovative, out-going and really nails the sales pitch.

I'm the same, Krampus.  I never buy from coworkers who bring in their kids' sheets... but I will if the kid comes in and asked me.  That has only happened once in my life

The street corner thing reminds me of a funny but rather embarassing story.  Just a few weeks ago, I came home to all my kids and a whole bunch of their friends from the neighborhood all over at my house playing.  Some of them had a few of our old unused stuff, such as a baby stroller out by the road trying to sell them or give them away.  I guess my wife had spurred that on.   

More of them were in the kitchen....my wife had let them make some experimental recipes.... no recipes, just dump in some flour, crack an egg in, oh, lets try a half a box of baking soda.... they were just dumping random things in (wasting food and making a mess).  They were having fun.  So I figured why not join in.  I helped them to bake some of their mystery dough in a muffin pan.  They were actually edible.  Not at all tasty.... kindof a flat heavy brick of bread.

Anyway, one of the kids (not mine I think) had the idea to set up a stand and "sell" them along with some "Hot Chocolate"... but they didn't heat it up.  Wife was supervising, or so I thought, so I didn't think much of it.  I was distracted with something else and busy.  So a little bit later, they came in with actual money from somebody.  Oh I was embarrassed.  I really laid into them (in a nice constructive way) that it would have been different if it was a legitimate effort at some real recipe taht was edible.. and real hot chocolate.

Ugh!  I never was able to find out which one of my neighbors to have my kids apologize to and refund their money.

• Upvote 1

I only buy from scouts in uniform, both Girl and Boy....

Well, the cookie sale started and I lived on a side street with my house being the only one on the block.  So, I don't get my Halloween traffic and I know I'm not going to get any cookies without being proactive.  So I called up the GS/USA office and announced that I wanted cookies and that any girl in uniform that stops by my house personally, (giving my address and phone number) will get a sale.

I thought about if for a while and then decided that the next knock on the door would be the police with a search warrant, followed closely by Child Protective Services. 

So, now I buy at the grocery store if the child is in uniform and gives the sales pitch and not the adult with them.  :)  I sleep better now too.

Well, the cookie sale started and I lived on a side street with my house being the only one on the block.  So, I don't get my Halloween traffic and I know I'm not going to get any cookies without being proactive.  So I called up the GS/USA office and announced that I wanted cookies and that any girl in uniform that stops by my house personally, (giving my address and phone number) will get a sale.

I thought about if for a while and then decided that the next knock on the door would be the police with a search warrant, followed closely by Child Protective Services.

The way to avoid that would be to refer to "any girl in uniform that stops by my house personally accompanied by one or both of her parents."

Which echoes the rule in our troop: Scouts can go door-to-door selling fundraising items but must be accompanied by an adult at all times. (It is ok if the adult is standing on the sidewalk or sitting in the car watching their son.) This has been the rule in the troop since before my son joined. It was probably prompted by a very specific incident in New Jersey (I'm guessing about 18-20 years ago) that ended very badly for a youth (not a Scout I believe) who was going door-to-door selling something. And the perpetrator in that case was also a teenager, a couple of years older than the deceased victim. Bizarre and tragic case.

Edited by NJCubScouter